Fish Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I just got back from a week long trip to Port Aransas (Texas coast island). I ate seafood till I was blue in the face!!! I really don't think I could muster another shrimp, oyster, amberjack fillet, or crab cake for another month!!! :sick:

Anyhow, while I was there, I tried something new, (at least new to me) - Fish Tacos!!! What a tasty and satisfying treat!!! The first place I had them at was this place called Pelican's Landing, it was grilled mahi mahi with slaw and a drizzle of some sort of sauce. Absolutely wonderful! Then the very next day, I saw them listed as the special for a place called Fins. They were deep fried chunks of white fish and oh so good. I like both respectively.

So now I am on this kick for fish tacos, I am gonna search the forum for recipes, and also see what other resturauts carry them..... in a month or so. Nah, I think I could eat them now if they were in front of me!!! :-p

They are not all that common in restaurants except near coasts, in my experience. There are a couple of chains that do them I LOVE them. Easy enough to do also. You could even use frozen breaded fish if you just had to.
We have had them blackened (salmon at Chevy's). The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.

Gretchen said:
The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.

That was the case with my second go at em..... I love fresh crisp cabbage and it pairs well! Also had a side of salsa mmm..mmmm... good!

It seems that I have seen them on menus occasionally, but usually went right past them, now I will be searching for them where ever I go.

texasgirl said:
Fish tacos??? No thank you. When I think taco, fish is nowhere in the picture.

I was the same way, but decided to step out a bit and was I ever impressed!!

Gretchen said:
They are not all that common in restaurants except near coasts, in my experience. There are a couple of chains that do them I LOVE them. Easy enough to do also. You could even use frozen breaded fish if you just had to.
We have had them blackened (salmon at Chevy's). The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.

When I lived iin San Diego, the best fish tacos ever were served at a chain called Rubio's. They are famous for their fish and lobster tacos. Chevy's have the second best tacos and when I had them last I had the Mahi Mahi fish taco and it was awesome!!! They change the fish every so often so you may not get the same kind of fish taco all the time. If you haven't had one, give them a try. I love making them at home too. I use crispy fish sticks. Try googling Rubio's Fish Tacos for a recipe.

Yes, please describe them and what type of sauce goes on them? I've heard of them but never had any.

I read slaw or cabbage, guacamole was mentioned but what type of sauce was on the first one, Sattie.

Saltygreasybacon said:
Fish taco's??
Are these like in a hard taco shell, can you describe them?

Fish tacos can be made either with the hard taco shells or soft corn tortilla shells. Google Rubio's Fish Tacos for this great recipes. I have Rubio's recipe but it's at home in Las Vegas. I'll be flying home in a few days and if anyone wants this fantastic recipe I'll post it.

Last edited:
The ones that I had, used a corn tortilla or two that appeared to be softened by dipping them in hot oil for a bit... kinda like you would in preparing enchiladas. Then the fish was laid on the corn tortillas (be it grilled, deep fried, or what have you) topped with slaw or fresh grated cabbage, and some sort of sauce made with mayo and some sort of seasoning. You can add some fresh pico or guacamole or salsa. They seem to be quite versatile. Very filling too! I just rolled it up and ate it like a fajita.

HTH!

I've never had them in a hard shell. I have had them in both corn and flour tortillas. And if you haven't tried them, don't knock them They are addictive. However, I did have fish tacos in a resto in Denver and they were made like fajitas with the peppers and onions. THAT is not fish taco.

This is my favorite fish taco recipe. It is from Tyler Florence. I really love the chipolte sauce. I use canola oil though, just because that's what I have on hand, and it comes out great.

Peanut oil, for frying
2 cups panko bread crumbs*
3 eggs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds halibut, snapper, or other firm flesh white fish
8 corn tortillas
1/2 head napa cabbage, shredded
Pink Chili Mayo, recipe follows
Lime wedges, for garnish

*Available in the Asian section of your market.

To fry the fish: Fill a large heavy bottomed pot about 1/3 full of peanut oil. Heat to 375 degrees F. While the oil is heating, put the breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Break the eggs into another shallow dish, season with salt and pepper, and beat them with 2 tablespoons of water. Cut the fish into 1-inch wide strips. Dip them into the egg, then coat them well with the breadcrumbs. Set aside and let them rest for 10 minutes. Cook the fish a few pieces at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

To make the tacos: Heat a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat. Warm a corn tortilla in the pan until it softens, about 30 seconds. Place a fish strip on it, top with some of the shredded cabbage, and a big dollop of Pink Chili Mayo. Squeeze on some lime juice, roll up, and eat!

Pink Chili Mayo:
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Juice 1/2 lime
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the mayonnaise, sour cream, peppers, and lime juice in a blender and process to a puree. Refrigerate the mayo for 1/2 hour to let the flavors to blend; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Yield: 8 servings

abj... that recipe sounds wonderful. I have been toying with trying to make my own. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Barb... you will love them, if you are a fan of seafood, then these addictive creations will have you hooked!

Gretchen... I agree, don't sound like tacos, more like fish fajitas.

I love fish tacos - here's another version to try from an old friend - Amigeaux - they are spicy, they are so good!!!

Tacos de los Pescados de Cajun (Cajun Redfish Tacos)

1 pound redfish filets
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 pound shredded Queso Fresco or Pepper Jack
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
Tabasco sauce to taste
1/2 cup roasted garlic
12 flour tortillas
3/4 cup Crème fraiche or sour cream

Coat the redfish filets completely with Cajun seasoning then grill, basting with limejuice after each turn. Just before the fish is done heat each tortilla on the grill slightly then place under a damp towel to keep warm. Build the tacos by first spreading a teaspoon of roasted garlic on the tortilla then adding in order the redfish, Tabasco sauce, Queso Fresco, salsa, and finally Crème fraiche. Serve with either dirty rice or Spanish rice.

sattie said:
I tried something new, (at least new to me) - Fish Tacos!!! What a tasty and satisfying treat!!! The first place I had them at was this place called Pelican's Landing, it was grilled mahi mahi with slaw and a drizzle of some sort of sauce. Absolutely wonderful! Then the very next day, I saw them listed as the special for a place called Fins. They were deep fried chunks of white fish and oh so good. I like both respectively.

So now I am on this kick for fish tacos, I am gonna search the forum for recipes, and also see what other resturauts carry them..... in a month or so. Nah, I think I could eat them now if they were in front of me!!! :-p

Sattie, I love fish tacos. Tried one years ago at an outdoor beach restaurant/stand (in Malibu, Zuma Beach or beyond - near or on PCH). It was a deep fried white fish, probably similar to fish sticks. If you don't have a deep fryer, those Mrs. Paul's fishsticks were not altogether bad. It's a blast from the past when I had them with mac 'n cheese, lol; but in a pinch, you could use the fish sticks, add chopped tomatoes, slaw, tartar sauce or relish, & roll it up in a soft taco.

Re the fish sticks - an interesting recipe I saw was pasta shells stuffed with fish sticks (tomato sauce and mozzarella?) on the Gorton's site.

Back
Top Bottom