"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fish Tacos

I just got back from a week long trip to Port Aransas (Texas coast island). I ate seafood till I was blue in the face!!! I really don't think I could muster another shrimp, oyster, amberjack fillet, or crab cake for another month!!!

Anyhow, while I was there, I tried something new, (at least new to me) - Fish Tacos!!! What a tasty and satisfying treat!!! The first place I had them at was this place called Pelican's Landing, it was grilled mahi mahi with slaw and a drizzle of some sort of sauce. Absolutely wonderful! Then the very next day, I saw them listed as the special for a place called Fins. They were deep fried chunks of white fish and oh so good. I like both respectively.

So now I am on this kick for fish tacos, I am gonna search the forum for recipes, and also see what other resturauts carry them..... in a month or so. Nah, I think I could eat them now if they were in front of me!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

They are not all that common in restaurants except near coasts, in my experience. There are a couple of chains that do them I LOVE them. Easy enough to do also. You could even use frozen breaded fish if you just had to.
We have had them blackened (salmon at Chevy's). The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.
That was the case with my second go at em..... I love fresh crisp cabbage and it pairs well! Also had a side of salsa mmm..mmmm... good!

It seems that I have seen them on menus occasionally, but usually went right past them, now I will be searching for them where ever I go.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

Fish tacos??? No thank you. When I think taco, fish is nowhere in the picture.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Fish tacos??? No thank you. When I think taco, fish is nowhere in the picture.
I was the same way, but decided to step out a bit and was I ever impressed!!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I was the same way, but decided to step out a bit and was I ever impressed!!
Well then, if I run across them, I guess I'll have to try them.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
They are not all that common in restaurants except near coasts, in my experience. There are a couple of chains that do them I LOVE them. Easy enough to do also. You could even use frozen breaded fish if you just had to.
We have had them blackened (salmon at Chevy's). The cabbage is usually not slaw but just shredded cabbage. And then served with quacoamole.
When I lived iin San Diego, the best fish tacos ever were served at a chain called Rubio's. They are famous for their fish and lobster tacos. Chevy's have the second best tacos and when I had them last I had the Mahi Mahi fish taco and it was awesome!!! They change the fish every so often so you may not get the same kind of fish taco all the time. If you haven't had one, give them a try. I love making them at home too. I use crispy fish sticks. Try googling Rubio's Fish Tacos for a recipe.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
Cook

Fish taco's??
Are these like in a hard taco shell, can you describe them?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Yes, please describe them and what type of sauce goes on them? I've heard of them but never had any.

I read slaw or cabbage, guacamole was mentioned but what type of sauce was on the first one, Sattie.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltygreasybacon
Fish taco's??
Are these like in a hard taco shell, can you describe them?
Fish tacos can be made either with the hard taco shells or soft corn tortilla shells. Google Rubio's Fish Tacos for this great recipes. I have Rubio's recipe but it's at home in Las Vegas. I'll be flying home in a few days and if anyone wants this fantastic recipe I'll post it.

Tags
None