Fish Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandraV

Assistant Cook
My husband and I are great admirers of Mexican cuisine and all things spicy. We have recently got recommended fish tacos, does anybody have a recipe?

Miss Sandra...I don't have a recipe per se....However this is what I did for lunch today. I had some left over fried fish from Saturday night...I warmed it on a cast iron griddle along with a soft corn tortilla. When both were hot I made a simple basic taco with nothing but a little Pace Picante Sauce added. Of course I could have added things like cheese, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, etc. for a "typical" taco...IMO any kind of fish could be used...Grilled fish would be delish...A tomato/pineapple based pico de gallo sauce would be tasty...as would a black bean/sweet corn salsa...So really just about any kind of fish you like, with any kind sauce....

Welcome to DC, and Have Fun!!

I use ahi tuna. I just coat in olive oil, salt, pepper, and sear it on all sides then slice. Make a pineapple salsa, a lemon, cilantro, or pineapple slaw, soft taco shells and eat. There is also some avocado in there too. I don't always use that - just happened to have it.

img_789892_0_4f13afa3647ef44ae30e5c76bdddb1ba.jpg

I just sprinkle the fish with salt, ground cumin seeds,

red pepper, oregano, a little lime juice. Let sit for a few minutes then pan fry in a little olive oil or cook in a grill pan inside and on the grill outside if the weather is good. I personally don't care to use deep fried fish for tacos. I think the coating makes it to heavy, however you could add all the same dry seasonings to flour and moisten the fish lightly with the lime juice and coat in the flour then pan fry in about 1/2 inch oil.

I was browsing fish taco recipes last week and I couldn't help but notice that most called for cabbage. Kind of weird, no? Why raw cabbage?

I don't know why, but I do know it's GOOD in fish tacos - especially the very finely shredded "Angel Hair" cabbage - and especially when tossed with lime juice

Thinly sliced cabbage sprinkled with fresh lime juice makes a fish taco wonderful. One of our favorites is to get large shrimp put them into a marinade of fresh evoo,lime juice several shots of tabasco and a touch of honey..then either skewer them or put them into a bbq basket and grill,,,Then you can leave them whole of cut into pieces and put in the taco shell..We add diced avocado, tomato, and the shredded cabbage..I like a few slices of green onion on mine..
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom