"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

Fishcake recipe

Mashed potatoes; 1 lb- I like to use instant potato buds. The reason is because they seem to be firmer and hold their shape better.

1 lb flaked fish (clams,shrimp,crab,trout,walleye,catfish etc.) I steam the fish and let it cool. If using canned clams, no need to cook.

1/4 cup of chopped onion or green onion (white parts)

1/8 cup dried parsley

season with salt & pepper

1 tbsp lemon or lime juice

Additional seasoning may be added- old bay,garlic powder,onion powder etc, what ever you like.

In a bowl, mix all ingredients until it is thick and sticky. You can thicken it by adding flour or bread crumbs. Shape cakes to about 1/2 inch thick,3 inch rounds. At this time, you can coat them with flour, cornstarch or bread crumbs. At this point I like to place them on a baking sheet and let them cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up. Heat Crisco or oil & butter in a pan to medium heat then cook until browned on both sides. Serve with sauce of your choice, aoili, cocktail, tarter etc.

NOTE: I have made them with "sticky rice" in lei of the mashed potatoes.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Executive Chef

OMG .. awesome !!

I really shouldn't be here today .. I am finding so many good sounding 'new to me' recipes that I want to try them all right now !!

Thanks for this .. I imagine this would be a great one to put in a bun .. and top with those crispy onion strings and serve with those worlds best crispy potato recipes that I've found in the last few hours .. now to find that diet thread LOL

Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds really good! Thanks S&P!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Fish cakes are a New England staple. If not hot dogs, then fish cakes on a Saturday night with baked beans. But I never thought of using other seafood. Am going to try it with clams. The one shellfish I can eat without the allergy kicking in.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds lovely, I love fish cakes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I started to feel hungry. So I put two small potatoes in the oven to bake. Then while they were baking I got to thinking what can I have with them. Crab Cakes! Voila! I will use one of the potatoes for the cakes.

I opened the can of clams. I didn't want to waste the juice in it, so it is in the freezer for future use for clam chowder. I am also going to add a pinch of Better than Bullion Clam Base to the clam cakes along with Old Bay Seasoning.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I started to feel hungry. So I put two small potatoes in the oven to bake. Then while they were baking I got to thinking what can I have with them. Crab Cakes! Voila! I will use one of the potatoes for the cakes.

I opened the can of clams. I didn't want to waste the juice in it, so it is in the freezer for future use for clam chowder. I am also going to add a pinch of Better than Bullion Clam Base to the clam cakes along with Old Bay Seasoning.
I'm confused, did you mean clam cakes?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm confused, did you mean clam cakes?
Thank you. Yes I did. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I didn't know there was a clam base bullion, Addie. I'm going to be looking for it. I'll bet it would be great to use in oyster stew.

Thanks for the tip!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've never heard of clam boullion either, will definely look for it!

Tags
recipe

Fishcake recipe Mashed potatoes; 1 lb- I like to use instant potato buds. The reason is because they seem to be firmer and hold their shape better. 1 lb flaked fish (clams,shrimp,crab,trout,walleye,catfish etc.) I steam the fish and let it cool. If using canned clams, no need to cook. 1/4 cup of chopped onion or green onion (white parts) 1/8 cup dried parsley season with salt & pepper 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice Additional seasoning may be added- old bay,garlic powder,onion powder etc, what ever you like. In a bowl, mix all ingredients until it is thick and sticky. You can thicken it by adding flour or bread crumbs. Shape cakes to about 1/2 inch thick,3 inch rounds. At this time, you can coat them with flour, cornstarch or bread crumbs. At this point I like to place them on a baking sheet and let them cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up. Heat Crisco or oil & butter in a pan to medium heat then cook until browned on both sides. Serve with sauce of your choice, aoili, cocktail, tarter etc. NOTE: I have made them with "sticky rice" in lei of the mashed potatoes. 3 stars 1 reviews