FishCakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Fishcakes

INGREDIENTS
Filling
1 pound leftover mashed potatoes
1 pound leftover fish (any cooked fish, smoked fish, or combination of seafood), poached
1/4 cup of chopped onion or green onion (white parts)
1 tablespoon dried parsley, or other herb
1 egg, beaten
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon

Coating
4 to 5 tablespoons flour or fine breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste

Poach
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
INSTRUCTIONS

Poach
1. Poach fish for a few minutes to reduce saltiness and soften. Should be tender and flaky

Filling
1. Mix all filling ingredients in bowl. Mixture should be thick, sticky enough to hold it's shape. Thicken with flour or bread crumbs if needed. Thin with poaching liquid if needed.

Coating
1. Mound flour mixture on plate
2. Drop heaping tablespoon of filling onto coating mixture and form into round patty 3/4" thick. Transfer to baking sheet and let them rest in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Cook
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook several cakes at a time about 4 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove to warm oven to hold for serving.
2. Serve with sauce of your choice, i.e....remoulade, cocktail, or tater sauce.

Fish cakes and baked beans are a New England staple. We use Cod for our fish cakes. Salted Cod. My husband used to filet a large Cod and hang it up in the rigging during the winter season. The waves would come up and wash over the fish salting it and at the same time it would be air drying. One of the benefits of be married to a commercial fisherman. :angel:

Addie, you'll have to bottle up some ocean and mail it to me. :LOL:

I like the idea of fish cakes. The only kind we ever made were salmon cakes (from canned salmon) with cream sauce and peas on top. I still like but haven't made in years. For awhile I tried to perfect crab cakes, but couldn't afford to keep up with this hobby.

I copied 40's and the Chief's smoking fish techniques yesterday. Grill smoked fish is right up there on the to-make Soon list. Knowing me, I make enough leftovers even without trying. Fish cakes -- a good idea.

Addie, you'll have to bottle up some ocean and mail it to me. :LOL:

I like the idea of fish cakes. The only kind we ever made were salmon cakes (from canned salmon) with cream sauce and peas on top. I still like but haven't made in years. For awhile I tried to perfect crab cakes, but couldn't afford to keep up with this hobby.

I copied 40's and the Chief's smoking fish techniques yesterday. Grill smoked fish is right up there on the to-make Soon list. Knowing me, I make enough leftovers even without trying. Fish cakes -- a good idea.

Whisk, you can buy dried salted cod at your supermarket. I get the boxed kind. There are very few bones. It comes out of Canada. Don't buy the stuff in the bags. They are just end pieces and have a lot of bones. When you get it home, you have to soak it in fresh cold water three or four times to remove the salt. Or only a couple of times and leave some salt on it. Just don't salt what you are using it in. I used to make (like my mother) cream cod with peas over boiled potatoes. Or you can use it in fish cakes. Have done that also.

My mother also used the canned salmon and made creamed salmon with peas. It is a traditional dish on July 4th here in New England. Or used to be. I think I am the only one left who remembers that little bit of folklore.

What my husband used to bring me was the whole two sides completely deboned and salted. Dry and stiff as a board. I could then after soaking it, cut it into filet sizes and sauté it with breading. Or use it creamed or for fishcakes. For the fishcakes, I would use only half the fish and save the rest in the fridge with more salt on it. :angel:

Sounds mighty good, .40!
I have a preference for canned mackerel to make fish cakes, but you can use most any fish. I also use some Old Bay for seasoning.
On a side note, I investigated making Old Bay seasoning from scratch, but I discovered that, given the spice availability in my area, the cost was prohibitive. Much cheaper to simply buy Old Bay.
Thanks for the recipe!

Back
Top Bottom