"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Head Chef

I need a bigger bowl IC, very pretty - lovely presentation! How's the new gig coming along? Kewl, you can make your own creations at the new establishment.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
Okay, I give: what is "FOAM"? Hard for me to research such a common word. I love seafood, too, and the picture of "tonight's special" look great! Wish I could order it!
Chau, Marty
The foam in this case is a sauce or liquid that is frothed using an immersion blende. To make a foam using an immersion blender, you can add a few grams of soy lecithin per liter of liquid to your base. Soy lecithin helps stabilize a foam so it doesn't immediately dissipate into a liquid on the plate. Most liquids will form a foam on the surface when beat with an immersion blender if they have a high enough fat-to-liquid ratio or if they contain enough pectin(like carrot juice), but the lecithin helps the foam hold its shape longer.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
The foam in this case is a sauce or liquid that is frothed using an immersion blende. To make a foam using an immersion blender, you can add a few grams of soy lecithin per liter of liquid to your base. Soy lecithin helps stabilize a foam so it doesn't immediately dissipate into a liquid on the plate. Most liquids will form a foam on the surface when beat with an immersion blender if they have a high enough fat-to-liquid ratio or if they contain enough pectin(like carrot juice), but the lecithin helps the foam hold its shape longer.
Wow! I had no idea FOAM is so complicated. Thank you very much for taking you time to write such a complete explanation of how it is prepared.
Chau, Marty
Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Ah, foam. The good stuff.

We went to a fancy restaurant last September. We had tomato foam and (if I remember correctly) a truffle milk foam as well. Best meal I've ever eaten. I was thinking of you while reading that foam was on the menu

Looks amazing ic.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Marty,

It looks like the light "foam" that Iron Chef is using here is also what is called an "Air." It's usually a liquid with the consistency of water to which Lecithin is added. Lecithin is found in egg whites and soybeans, and most powdered extracts used for foaming are derived from soy. It is added as a stabilizer to give the foam structure.

The Lecithin is added at about 1% by weight and then mixed into the liquid with an immersion blender. To make the foam, the Immersion blender is used to "froth" just the top of the liquid to incorporate air. The foam is then allowed to set for about 60 seconds, and then spooned off the top and used as a sauce or garnish.

Since the "foam" is made mostly of air, it has a very intense way of interacting with your pallet, allowing you to taste the "essence" of the foamed liquid.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Wow, Chef Jacob, what a nice explanation of 'foam' and the pictures really help. So it is not really that hard at all. Can you buy lecithin or is it necessary to use some egg white? I froth hot milk in a coffee mug and then pour (carefully) coffee in the mug and sprinkle cinammon on top. This is a cup of coffee I make for my wife usually on Sundays, but also at other times. So I have an immersion blender and didn't even know it. RO LOL
Thanks for the very clear explanation.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

You can find a powdered form of lecithin at most health food stores. It is commonly used as a dietary supplement. Egg whites will work to some degree, but they will dilute your flavor and add a bit of that raw egg taste. Soy based lecithin powder is really the way to go.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Thank you again, Jacob. I like Edamame, but most other soy products do not appeal to me, e.g. tofu. I will look for the powdered soy lecithin.
Chau, Marty

Tags
None