"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
I would appreciate someone's attempt to profile the flavor. Since they are both salmonids I was wondering if they bear a resemblence to the Salmon we are familiar with?
Boufa this was the original poster's question. I apologize - I confused you with the original poster.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Boufa this was the original poster's question. I apologize - I confused you with the original poster.
No problem, Breezy!

Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Original Poster here...
I live in the mountain west. Love to fly fish. Catch nice Rainbows and Browns all the time. They are certainly not endangered or threatened here at all.

I am mostly catch and release, but some streams and rivers here are so productive the Dept of Natural Resources asks us to keep up to our limit if we want to.

I'm not going kill a fish unless I'm going eat it... so I was wondering. Didn't want to take a fish and cook it unless I thought I would like it. Seems to me a fish fry is getting ready to happen.

OBTW used to live in Florida east coast. Caught many, many Dolphin (refuse to call them Mahi-Mahi) they were wonderful on the table. Also many mackerel there- both Spanish and Kings. Kings were ok, but didn't like them enough to kill them. Spanis also ok, but required special treatment to make them truly tasty- like soak in milk, then lightly smoked/baked under a layer of Green Goddes salad dressing. Then there was grouper... now that was good eat'n.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
You know, I'm thinking that as far as trout "tasting like salmon", you may be thinking of what's known here as "Salmon Trout" - aka "Steelhead Trout". The meat is pink/red like salmon, & has a similar taste, & I believe (although don't hold me to this) that these fish spend a part of their lives in salt water like regular salmon.

Freshwater trout like the Browns, Rainbows, Brooks, etc., etc., definitely do not taste ANYTHING like salmon. They are a bland white fish, closer - as I said before - to catfish or flounder.
Thanks for the interestig information, Breezy. Somehow all the trout I have come across apparantely have been this "salmon trout", they are lightly pink and salmon like flavour, but more delicate and light. I quite like them and and all this time I thought they were "regular rainbow trouts", as they do look kinda alike.... however from what you said, probably it was for the better that I only have experience with "salmon trouts"!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hopz, trout taken fresh from a river will taste extremely good. One of my favourite ways to cook them is to gut them, lightly dust with flour and then fry in butter with a little bacon or cured ham. Otherwise, you can bake them as is, perhaps with a little coarse salt sprinkled on them, in the oven. Delicious either way and well worth trying. If you have a smoker, you could also try smoking them to see whether you like it that way as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Trout farms where they are swimming in their own stuff are just for the "thrill" of catching. A real trout hatchery is in a running stream and very very clean.
Trout has no salmon flavor that I can detect. It is very mild tasting. If you make the mistake of trying to eat one from the first mentioned ponds, it will taste muddy and musky!!
We did have a trout from a stream in the Grand Tetons that was as orange as salmon--still tasted like trout!!
Brown trout are usually game fish and can't be sold to my knowledge. We are catch and release fisherpeople so I don't know how they taste. I have tasted brook trout--equally mild.
Blue fish is delicious broiled!! We also like the steak fish like mackerel and blues--but they are strong and oily. I have smoked mackerel and it is really good.

Just read Breezy's last post. I personally would not equate trout to flounder or catfish (especially--very fatty fish). Has a different flavor--but we all know, that is a personal thing.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
Master Chef

I love Rainbow Trout! It's tender, sweet and succulent. As mentioned above, the best way to prepare it is pan-fried, with only a small amount of coating.
I don't think it tastes anything like salmon, which I also love, and certainly not like catfish, which, IMO has overtones of motor oil.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Please forgive me for re-igniting an old post.

I have worked quite a bit with trout, both brown and rainbow as well as a few other variations not to be limited to fresh or salt water.
I have also worked with mackerel equally. Not to say i am an expert on the subject, i certainly am not and the information i provide is only true in my perception.

Rainbow trout is indeed the most readily available of the trout species depending on you location. If you live near costal waters you will likely see saltwater trout species commonly but of the fresh water species rainbow is most common. This is due to trout farming as mentioned above in another post. More on farmed vs. wild later. brown trout tends to not survive farming conditions, this is here-say information i have been told, not based on any experience or reading. I prefer brown trout over rainbow, so much so that i often travel north to washington and canada to fish for it, rainbow trout the only trou you will find in texas, though i have seen one brown trout, that was one time out of countless fishing adventures. Up north brown trout are more abundant but rainbow still win in numbers. (I used to throw rainbow back out of determination to catch brown). Time to answer the question though. When profiling the flavor of fish you must first imagine the habitat; if possible. Habitat has a huge impact on flavor of fish, this is why i dont bother with farmed fish at grocery stores. My rule of thumb (edit: i don't always follow this rule there are exceptions). when selecting a place to fish is based on weather or not i would drink the water the fish lives in. A small murky pond will give the fish a very fishy almost polutted flavor. A clean stream will have a crisp taste in white flaky fish like trout, allowing the rich oily flavors to really shine through. Trout are very oily and rich in omegas, not as much so as mackerel, but not far off. Brown trout to me is best descriped as a light, flaky fish where the meat has woody, and nutty undertones. While rainbow tends to be just as flaky but not as oily or meaty as the ladder. The undertones translates more as a grassy citus flavor. My favorite preparations for trout both rainbow and brown include sauteed hot and fast on a cast iron skillet with lightly browned butter, a pinch of salt, white pepper, and thyme finished with a squeeze of lemon peel (not juice, i want the oils in the peel). Sometimes my fishing trips are too generous and i catch more that i can eat that night and because brown trout is a special treat for me i just cant let it go unless its undersized. When this happens i will cure it, smoke it, salt it, or pickle it. I always use fins, organs, heads and bones to make a fermented fish sauce with shitake or woodear mushrooms. (Edit: trout skin should be left on and eaten with the fish. Its where most of the fat on that fish is and when cooked properly has a more jellyish texture between the skin and meat).

On mackerel, one of my favorites from the see, try pickling in a hot brine using apple cider, not only will this preserve it for a few extra days but the oils and the acidity make a interesting combo, you can add spices and herbs for flavoring.

Wild vs. farm- as said above farm raise is some icky stuff, the fish is swimming with so many other fish, not enough movement, no fast flowing streams to give it that clean flavor and to build strong muscle which creates all those yummy healthy fish oils. Wild fish feed on insects that have been feeding on surrounding vegetationsuchas fruits, nuts, and some cases the sap and bark of trees, imparting a very pleasant flavor that skips right over your head if you don't look for it.
The times i make excemptions to my rule of thumb is when im in a densely wooded national park, and i come across a decent sized undesturbed quite pond with insects swarming over the surface and a stream or river near by with the flood plane. When i see this i know there are trout, tramp and fattening on an abundant food supply. This habitat gives the brown trout an almost greenish hue to it (trouts colors change slightly due to environment because they are stealth predators relying on camoflage). The flavor becomes more intense, fishier, not as crisp, but with more intense underlying flavors of woody nuttiness. The best way i can describe it is wildly rustic. I serve this at dinner parties when i find it. Saute whole(organs removed) with salt and butter until a crispy gold brown crusted has formed, i place the fish in a shallow bowl shaped platter or saucer and then pour a broth of bay leaves and sticks, lichen, reindeer moss, rosemary, thyme, wild mushrooms (morel) and the 2 secret ingredients (white oak leaves and grape leaves) into the bottom of the dish table side to create a aroma that smells like the forest and impart a very umami and foresty flavor to the fish.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Rainbow trout and steelhead trout are the exact same species.
They each have a different 'lifestyle' that's all.
Steelhead live some of their lives in the sea and so their diet is different during that time so the taste of the flesh is different.
Steelhead IMO have a better/stronger flavor and firmer texture than rainbows. Steelhead tend to grow larger than rainbows.
I catch rainbows year round. I now only hot smoke them. They make tasty 'jerky' but basically all the flavor comes from the brine and smoke.
I VERY low and slow poached steelhead in clarified butter. No other flavors added except S&P.
My favorite freshwater species of trout flavor-wise is the Kokanee. It's a land-locked sockeye salmon.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Rainbow trout and steelhead trout are the exact same species.
They each have a different 'lifestyle' that's all.
Steelhead live some of their lives in the sea and so their diet is different during that time so the taste of the flesh is different.
Steelhead IMO have a better/stronger flavor and firmer texture than rainbows. Steelhead tend to grow larger than rainbows.
I catch rainbows year round. I now only hot smoke them. They make tasty 'jerky' but basically all the flavor comes from the brine and smoke.
I VERY low and slow poached steelhead in clarified butter. No other flavors added except S&P.
My favorite freshwater species of trout flavor-wise is the Kokanee. It's a land-locked sockeye salmon.
If yuou love the flavor of steelhead, as I do, try this little trick that I found by being simply lazy one night. Take a generous steehead fillet that is frozen solid, and drop it into 360' oil, completely naked. Deep fry for ten minutes. Remove and lightly season with S & P. The skin is crispy, like a potato chip. The flesh has a very thin, crispy layer that is again so very tasty. The inner flesh is pure steelhead, with nothing to overpower the natural flavor.

This preparation blew me away. It was so wonderfully tasty, and is suited for the trout purist, as there are no other flavors except for the trout, no batter, or flour, or heavy seasonings, or citrus, or anything other than pure steelhead flavor. I was so impressed with the flavor that this is my go-to way of preparing steelhead now. I grew up eating rainbows, and brookies, dredged in flour, and pan fried in oil. I love this preparation as well. It is messier though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None