Freezing shrimp stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt. Pepper

Assistant Cook
Its freshwater prawn harvesting season here in Kentucky. Although they are kinda expensive, they are great. After separating the heads from the tail meat, I made a big pot of rich shrimp stock. I plan on freezing it for future use. All the recipes Ive ever read say freeze for up to 3 months. What happens after 3 months? Is it no good any longer? Does it take on a freezer burn taste? If I freeze it then vac-pac it in the Foodsaver, will it stay longer in the freezer? Any comments would be appreciated.

Freeze your stock in a tightly sealed container (the vacuum sealer will do a fine job but isn't the only option) and don't worry about the 3 month time limit.

Freezer burn is nothing more than dehydration. Have you ever noticed how ice cubes that have been in the freezer for a while shrink in size? That's freezer burn. The freezer cycle draws moisture from a frozen item. As shrimp stock is frozen flavored water, freezer burn will just evaporate off some of the water. It won't effect the flavor.

I freeze chicken stockfor longer than 3 months all the time and have never noticed an off taste.

When I make stock from mudbugs or shrimp shells or anything else (and have any left over) - I freeze it in shallow plastic containers - pop it out like ice-cubes, then vacuum seal it in plastic (FoodSaver). It will last at least a year - probably longer but it never lasts more than a year in my freezer.

I completely agree with Andy and Michael on this. Just don't thaw and then try to refreeze the stock if you decide not to use it, that will affect the quality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom