Fresh caught largemouth bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m00nwater

Cook
I caught a couple largemouth bass on the weekend and now I don't know how I should cook them! I was thinking grilled in tinfoil on the BBQ with some spices and lemon, just to keep it simple. I plan to serve it with rice and a light salad. My wine selection will be a nice pinot. I don't serve a lot of fish because the other half isn't much of a fish eater. Any other ideas that might be fun to try?

I only ever ate bass by fileting and baking it, which is basically what you are doing if you wrap it up in foil. It should come out fine that way. Maybe add a splash of wine to the foil pouch. It will need something in there.

Lucky you. Largemouth Bass are terrific eating. I like to do mine on the grill or broiler. Just butter and lemon, MAYBE some chopped fresh dill. Bass is a mild fish so I don't like to mask the flavor with sauce or a lot of spices. Be sure not to overcook it.

Lucky you. Largemouth Bass are terrific eating. I like to do mine on the grill or broiler. Just butter and lemon, MAYBE some chopped fresh dill. Bass is a mild fish so I don't like to mask the flavor with sauce or a lot of spices. Be sure not to overcook it.

OK, I will keep it simple. Thanks for the tip. I have 4 filets, so maybe I will try some with butter & lemon with dill, and then some with pepper. I'm a big pepper fan. I'll also give the wine a try as well. It will be a smorgasbord of bass!

You're on the right track with the foil-wrapping and cooking on the grill. Add some butter, garlic, salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine, close it up, and cook.

Hey, at least you've got some bass. I've got enough Blue catfish fillets in the freezer to make some small fried catfish sandwiches. Po' Boys, anyone?

My husband always filleted and fried them in a light breading, and they are wonderful that way, but we tried some whole ones on the grill, and they were good too. Kim just seasoned them with S&P stuffed a few lemon slices inside, and then laid them on top of a piece of foil. I was thinking he cut some slits in the top as well, but he doesn't remember doing that.

My husband always filleted and fried them in a light breading, and they are wonderful that way, but we tried some whole ones on the grill, and they were good too. Kim just seasoned them with S&P stuffed a few lemon slices inside, and then laid them on top of a piece of foil. I was thinking he cut some slits in the top as well, but he doesn't remember doing that.

I like to fry the filets Miss Connie, just as you said.....On the foil, on the grill is good too! Somtimes with the bigger ones...make a dressing, stuff and bake.

All I have to say is..yum. The picky non-fish eater loved it, too.

I did what AllenOK said to do by adding butter, garlic, salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine in one pouch. The other I did the same except I replaced wine with lemon juice and some slices of lemon. The only downer to the preparing of the meal was that I ran out of propane so had to complete the cooking in the oven! Oh well, it still tasted great, and they were already in pouches, so I don't think it made a huge difference.

I had some garden fresh cherry tomatoes that I sliced in half and sliced up some feta with and sprinked with a balsamic vinagrette, which really complimented it nicely instead of the light garden salad I had planned.

I really enjoyed the one pouch with the wine for flavour, so now I have to get out and catch some more! :pig:

If something is in a pouch or covered dish, I don't think there's much difference whether it's an oven recipe or grill recipe (lid down). They are pretty much interchangeable, but you lose the fun of cooking on a grill of course.
Glad it came out great for you!

I like them cooked in sauce:

I first get it deboned and cut in big filets.

In a pan, I place a bit of olive oil. In low fire, I cooked a bit of garlic, a bit of cayenne , minced onion and persil. When soft, I add a bit of tomato pure.

Then I take about 2 or 3 spoon of flour and mix it very well with the above. Little by little I add fish stock and one glass of white wine or cider. I try for salt and pepper.

Let it simmer for about 10 minutes and then I blend it so there are not small pieces....

After that, I put the fish inside (sometimes I dust it with flour so it does not break in pieces). You need to put some salt to the fish before.

After 5 minutes I add clams and prawns. I let it 5 more minutes and take it out of the fire.

I prefer to cook bass whole, grill or roast in pan.

Scale, dress, score sides of fish, and toss it in there. I don't like much flavoring other than a little EVOO and sea salt, but you can toss some herbs in the cavity if you're so inclined.

lurker fishing tonight.

the largies i've caught were pretty gross. i've caught hundreds and hundres of largemouth bass in my lifetime, and the ones i've cooked were all fairly nasty tasting.

i wonder if it's the water, what they eat, or maybe some subspecies that makes them taste better or worse.

lurker fishing tonight.

the largies i've caught were pretty gross. i've caught hundreds and hundres of largemouth bass in my lifetime, and the ones i've cooked were all fairly nasty tasting.

i wonder if it's the water, what they eat, or maybe some subspecies that makes them taste better or worse.

That seems strange, BT.

BT, are there freshwater fish that you do like? I personally don't like any of the freshwater fish that I have tasted. I like pretty much any salt water fish.

i like all kinds of freshwater trout, landlocked salmon, panfish, and perch. i will eat tilapia, and love freshwater shellfish.

i'm just wondering why i can't enjoy the fish that i know how to catch the easiest?

...i've caught hundreds and hundres of largemouth bass in my lifetime, and the ones i've cooked were all fairly nasty tasting...

That seems strange, BT.

ok, i'll bite like a lunker.

what seems strange?

That, even though most people like lmb, you can't find one you like. It may be where you caught it or what it ate, or it could be something about your taste system that causes it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom