"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Cook

Fresh caught largemouth bass

I caught a couple largemouth bass on the weekend and now I don't know how I should cook them! I was thinking grilled in tinfoil on the BBQ with some spices and lemon, just to keep it simple. I plan to serve it with rice and a light salad. My wine selection will be a nice pinot. I don't serve a lot of fish because the other half isn't much of a fish eater. Any other ideas that might be fun to try?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I only ever ate bass by fileting and baking it, which is basically what you are doing if you wrap it up in foil. It should come out fine that way. Maybe add a splash of wine to the foil pouch. It will need something in there.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Head Chef

Lucky you. Largemouth Bass are terrific eating. I like to do mine on the grill or broiler. Just butter and lemon, MAYBE some chopped fresh dill. Bass is a mild fish so I don't like to mask the flavor with sauce or a lot of spices. Be sure not to overcook it.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Lucky you. Largemouth Bass are terrific eating. I like to do mine on the grill or broiler. Just butter and lemon, MAYBE some chopped fresh dill. Bass is a mild fish so I don't like to mask the flavor with sauce or a lot of spices. Be sure not to overcook it.
OK, I will keep it simple. Thanks for the tip. I have 4 filets, so maybe I will try some with butter & lemon with dill, and then some with pepper. I'm a big pepper fan. I'll also give the wine a try as well. It will be a smorgasbord of bass!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You're on the right track with the foil-wrapping and cooking on the grill. Add some butter, garlic, salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine, close it up, and cook.

Hey, at least you've got some bass. I've got enough Blue catfish fillets in the freezer to make some small fried catfish sandwiches. Po' Boys, anyone?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Sounds tasty, mOOn. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Cook

I just got home and I am excited to try a few ideas. I'll fill you all in tomorrow and make you jealous!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Master Chef

My husband always filleted and fried them in a light breading, and they are wonderful that way, but we tried some whole ones on the grill, and they were good too. Kim just seasoned them with S&P stuffed a few lemon slices inside, and then laid them on top of a piece of foil. I was thinking he cut some slits in the top as well, but he doesn't remember doing that.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nwater View Post
I just got home and I am excited to try a few ideas. I'll fill you all in tomorrow and make you jealous!
Looking forward to it!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My husband always filleted and fried them in a light breading, and they are wonderful that way, but we tried some whole ones on the grill, and they were good too. Kim just seasoned them with S&P stuffed a few lemon slices inside, and then laid them on top of a piece of foil. I was thinking he cut some slits in the top as well, but he doesn't remember doing that.
I like to fry the filets Miss Connie, just as you said.....On the foil, on the grill is good too! Somtimes with the bigger ones...make a dressing, stuff and bake.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None