Fresh Salmon...help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alaskas.sweetcaroline

Assistant Cook
I'm not a big fan of Salmon but after all the work my family put into catching, filleting and packaging so much of it I'm trying to turn a new leaf. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a recipe that says "outstandingly yummy" lol anyone out there have any good suggestions?

Serve this over some mashed sweet potatoes and it's heavenly.

TNT: Salmon With Jalepeno Lime Sauce

4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets, all bones removed
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sauce
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
3 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into a julienne
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is ok, non-fat isn't) or Greek-style yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Dash of salt and pepper

Optional
Fresh lime wedges
Snipped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Place the salmon in the dish, skin side down. Combine the lime juice and olive oil; brush over the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes. Place the fish in the oven and bake until the fish is almost opaque, about 8 minutes for each inch of thickness. Remove the skin.

While the fish cooks, prepare the sauce: Over a medium-low heat; heat the olive oil and butter together; add the jalapenos and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sour cream and heat through, do not boil. Remove from heat; stir in the lime juice, salt and pepper.

Transfer the fish to warm plates; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with minced chives and serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Last edited:
Gravadlax, my wife dislikes "river fish" so she will only eat salmon this way.with dill and mustard mayo.
garden & BBQ 121.jpg

garden & BBQ 124.jpg

garden & BBQ 125.jpg

garden & BBQ 126.jpg

garden & BBQ 135.jpg

New to this app on my iphone and I'm already loving it! Thank you so much everyone for some fabulous recipes! I'm actually quit excited to try a new dish tomorrow evening for dinner! 

We LOVE fresh wild salmon & cook it often in many different ways. Our two favorites are both very simple.

One is to simply place your filets or steaks into a buttered baking dish & top with some melted butter laced with some fresh lemon juice & freshly ground black pepper. then top the fish with thinly sliced fresh lemon & roughly chopped fresh dill. Bake until done, which, depending on the thickness of the fish & cooking at 350 degrees could be anywhere from 15-25 minutes.

Second favorite way is "teriyaki" style. Just go online & find a "Salmon Teriyaki" you like (most of the sauces involve soy sauce, honey, ginger, & garlic). I have a couple of good ones, but unfortunately I'm still suffering from a computer crash & don't have my recipes restored yet - grrrrrr. But any basic Salmon Teriyaki recipe you find will be good. It's one of those recipes that's extremely difficult to screw up.

This is one of my favorite recipes for salmon:
Maple-Glazed Salmon

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
4 ( 6-ounce) salmon fillets
Cooking spray
1 tsp maple syrup

1. Prepare grill heating to medium.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients. Sprinkle fish with salt, rub with
paprika mix.
3. Place fish on grill rack coated with cooking spray, grill
7 minutes. Drizzle fish with syrup, grill 1 minute or until fish
flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Gravadlax is my favourite or cold smoked! Nice ideas so far, I don't think I have anything that compares. I usually cure Salmon not cook it, it turns out a bit dry when I've tried so I don't try anymore.

Pan Seared Salmon with an Orange Vinegrette

• 4 salmon fillets or steaks (6-8 oz. each), thawed if necessary​
  • 1 cup orange juice​
  • 1-1/2 Tablespoon red onion, minced​
  • 1-1/2 Tablespoon lime juice​
  • 1 teaspoon Honey-Dijon mustard​
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder​
  • 1/2 cup fat free Italian salad dressing​
  • 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped​
  • 1 Tablespoons olive oil​
  • salt and pepper, to taste​

Methods/steps
Sauce

• Cook orange juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it is reduced to the consistency of syrup (makes about 1/4 cup); let cool slightly. Place onion, lime juice, mustard and chili powder in a blender; add cooled syrup. Blend 30 seconds. Then, with blender running, slowly drizzle in the salad dressing so that the mixture emulsifies.​

Salmon

• Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly season the salmon fillets or steaks with salt and pepper. Heat and oven-proof saute pan 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Sear the salmon fillets/steaks on one side for 2-3 minutes. Turn salmon fillets/steaks over and place the entire pan into the oven. Bake 4-8 minutes, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. To serve, make a 1 oz. pool of the orange vinaigrette sauce in the center of 4 plates. Top with a salmon fillet/steak and garnish with 1 teaspoon of chopped cilantro.​

Back
Top Bottom