"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

There was an article in The New York Times (Sushi Fresh From the Deep . . . the Deep Freeze By JULIA MOSKIN (NYT) words
Late Edition - Final , Section A , Page 1 , Column 3) from April 8th that talked about how almost all fish is flash frozen while the boat is still out at sea. Unfortunately I do not still have access to the article, but it was fascinating.

One part of the article talked about the fact that most people would be surprised that it is illegal to serve sushi in the US if it has not been previously frozen.

"Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw — whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare — must be frozen first, to kill parasites. "I would desperately hope that all the sushi we eat is frozen," said George Hoskin, a director of the agency's Office of Seafood. Tuna, a deep-sea fish with exceptionally clean flesh, is the only exception to the rule."

Old 07-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I also read that Morimoto has a special freezer in which he keeps his fish. The freezer gets down to -60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I've never been lucky enough to find "Fresh", never-been-frozen tuna in a grocery store. I've lived in two land-locked states (at least, no easy access to salt water) all my adult life. So, I've only had the kind that is previously frozen.

The country club I work at closes for the month of Febuary, for deep-cleaning, maintenance/remodel, and mostly due to a lack of business. At the end of January this year, the Chef gave everyone some of the perisables, as these were the things that we couldn't save by freezing. We had a few thawed Tuna steaks, and I was lucky enough to get one. Those Tuna Steaks come in cryo-vac'ed, frozen.

Well, at the time, my other half was pregant with our daughter. She had informed me that the smell of tuna nauseates her, and that if we made tuna salad, to forewarn her so she could leave the apartment. Shortly after the start of Febuary, I thawed that Tuna steak out and blackened it (flame me, I don't care, I love it blackened!) to med-rare/medium. I plated it and sat down at the table to eat my lunch. She was on the pc. She looked at me, looked at my plate, and started whimpering like a little puppy. I asked her what she wanted. Of course, she wanted a bite. I then asked her why she wasn't making a beeline for the bathroom. She told me that oddly enough, the smell of it didn't make her sick to her stomach. I guess the seasonings over-powered the tuna smell. I warned that this steak was cooked medium, and to be prepared for "pink" tuna. She nodded and took a bite. Well, when it was done, she ate half of it.

She has since asked me "When are you going to bring home some more tuna?" Luckily, I can buy it "at cost" from my boss
Old 08-27-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Cook

POKE

Raw tuna at its best...delicacy in Hawaii

Leila

Blue Ridge Telecom
Old 09-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Fresh Tuna is the BEST - we just got back from Hatteras,NC where fresh tuna is so available. I'm paying 7.95 a lb. there and here in Va. it's 16.95. It's crazy the difference. I love my tuna marinated in soy and small amount of oil oil for about 45min. Then seared on each side - yummy -
Stephanie
Old 09-13-2004, 03:46 PM   #16
Master Chef

I'll chime in with others. It vastly depends on where you live. Be realistic, IS IT FRESH? Thawed doesn't mean fresh. Fresh doesn't mean more than two days old. If what you're buying is called fresh, and you live in the midwest, guess who's being taken to the cleaners? I try to buy any fish and shellfish live or frozen. I live 3 hours from CHicago, so guess how fresh anything called 'fresh' is if it comes from one of the oceans? It would have had to be flown into O'Hare, then trucked to me. NOT FRESH. If you live somewhere like me, go for frozen. In my case I pass on tuna. After years in Hawaii, frozen just doesn't measure up. I'll have it when I got a major city where there's at least a chance it was flown in. On the other hand, the scallops most stores sell thawed, my grocer will sell frozen (the way they get them) as well, and they are great. Just be realistic.

Tags
None