"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

Back in the day my two coworkers ran crocodile for food business on side. They had the freshest, the yummiest alligator you can get. I used to tr y anything that came my way. Alligator was not on my list of favorite things to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i had fried gator tail in disney in florida (of all places) many years ago ('85, '86 maybe). if memory serves, it was in al e. gator's restaurant, lol.

i liked it, beyond the cool factor.

i've ordered it a few times since with varied results, mostly good. and i know good seafood, imho.

you have to like dark meat poultry to start. what i've had was not fishy at all for the most part, but once or maybe twice i noted a kinda high nose sense of fish.

i'm guessing like most water creatures, the longer the time from catch to cook, the more it degrades.

once again, where's pacanus? wasn't he the one who was ordering these swamp treats every so often?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Never had alligator but I have had crocodile....once! It was like chewing tasteless rubber - it bounced back! Ended up discreetly removing it from my mouth to the side of my plate and leaving the rest.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Never had alligator but I have had crocodile....once! It was like chewing tasteless rubber!
I don't know how Crocodile is never had it but I do know alligator has to be cooked just right there is a very small window of time to cook it perfectly and leave it in slightly too long and it will be chewy like chewing on rubber however if done just right it will fall apart in your mouth
Old 09-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I think the quality and freshness of the product has much to do with the taste of the end product. A few weeks ago, we were in Restaurant Depot, browsing the frozen seafood. I came across crawfish tails with the package claiming they were from Breaux Bridge, LA. On the back in small print were the words "Product of China".

When I order sacks of crawfish, I wait until I can locate river crawfish (wild caught). Might be a little harder on the fingers than pond raised, but IMO, they are so much better.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I am up to eating most anything, but I draw the line at rodents, lizards, insects and arachnids.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I am up to eating most anything, but I draw the line at rodents, lizards, insects and arachnids.
I don't see where any of those were mentioned. Alligators are not lizards, they are crocodilians.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Publix had some fried and hot for samples at the seafood counter. Excellent would be the term to describe it.
Was not fishy at all and was quite tender.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

Everyone but me seems to say it doesn't taste fishy?

I'm guessing that the oil was over used for frying too much fish and the alligator picked up the fishy taste. Uck..

I live a looooooooong way from alligators, so there's no need to try it again.
I'll stick with OR fish.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Fried alligator is just fine. I had it in southern Florida quite a few times. When I was an over the road trucker I would often get layed over very other weekend. I found this little truck stop way out on the north west side of Miami on the edge of the everglades. There was a Tiki hut bar there. They served fried alligator. I would sit and bs with the air boat captains that gave tours. They would not touch the fried alligator calling it crap. saying thats not real gator. I want a chunk of gator tail to make the way the captains told me it should be made. On the grill!

Tags
None