"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Proud American

Fried Catfish

This is not my recipe, but it seems to be very good! We are cooking this now.

Fried Catfish Recipe | Simply Recipes

I'll let you know if this is good.

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds good. Fried catfish is one of the specialties of many or our local restaurants. The recipe points out some important things to do when preparing it, such as making sure the oil is plenty hot. Very important.

The seasonings sound good except, for my personal taste, I would leave out the celery seed and cut back a bit on the cayenne.

There's a restaurant near where Glenn and I live that makes the absolute best fried catfish.

Oh, yum! Now I want fried catfish.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Sounds good. Fried catfish is one of the specialties of many or our local restaurants. The recipe points out some important things to do when preparing it, such as making sure the oil is plenty hot. Very important.

The seasonings sound good except, for my personal taste, I would leave out the celery seed and cut back a bit on the cayenne.

There's a restaurant near where Glenn and I live that makes the absolute best fried catfish.

Oh, yum! Now I want fried catfish.
I have tried wild and farm catfish. They both leave a taste of gasoline in my mouth. One of the things I definitely don't like is every time I tried it, the cook used only cornmeal. Too gritty! I guess I just didn't live in the South long enough to develop a taste for it. You can have my helping.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Head Chef

Fried catfish is my very personal choice for the BEST fish around! I would choose it over salmon, trout---- any other fish! Add a few hush puppies to the menu---- heaven! Of course we caught our own. Maybe store bought is different.

(Forgot to add---- you have to drink Dr. Pepper soda with it.)

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

A deep fried catfish Po'Boy, dressed!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've read, and don't know if it's true or not, that if you put a catfish in clear water for a day that it will wash out all the muddy taste. They ARE bottom feeders so mud is their milieu. But we never had to do that with the catfish we caught. Go figure.

Catfish are true survivors----- even out of water the poor things will continue to breath for a long time. That's why we always killed them quickly, and as humanely as possible, the minute we took them off the hook.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Living along the Mighty Mississippi, catfish here is a staple. I've not had a muddy tasting one, folks around here know how to fix them.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I have tried wild and farm catfish. They both leave a taste of gasoline in my mouth. One of the things I definitely don't like is every time I tried it, the cook used only cornmeal. Too gritty! I guess I just didn't live in the South long enough to develop a taste for it. You can have my helping.
Catfish isn't my favorite, either. It tastes really fatty to me.

I wonder if the ones you had used coarse cornmeal. Finely ground cornmeal shouldn't taste gritty, and that's preferable, as the recipe says.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Catfish isn't my favorite, either. It tastes really fatty to me.

I wonder if the ones you had used coarse cornmeal. Finely ground cornmeal shouldn't taste gritty, and that's preferable, as the recipe says.
My taste buds are developed for the Northeast food I grew up with. I had a hard time finding food I would eat when I moved to Texas. Living up in the NW in Tacoma it was a little easier. They had foods that were somewhat close to what I grew up with. There are two military bases there with personnel from all over the country. So it was pretty easy to find the foods I knew in grocery stores. I love cornbread. But it has to be made New England style. With sugar and more flour than corn meal, unless it is finely ground corn meal. More like a cake, than a gritty meal.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
Proud American

This was very good! I did believe this would find some avoidance, for catfish is a different type of taste, yes?

I do love this forum for so very many opinions and ideas!

When we post of these recipes, has anyone gotten angry over a recipe or has anyone berated anyone who posted a recipe?

I'm just very curious of this. For me, I just love all of you and if one tries my posted recipe, it's very nice, and for those who don't, it's very nice also!

Many people have certain tastes. I do thank you all for your honesty.

With love,
~Cat

Tags
fish