Fried Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've eaten fried fish all of my life, and love it! My mantra is, the simpler, the better. We would catch beautiful brookies with wonderful orange flesh, take them home, clean 'em, dredge in flour, and pan fry in a couple inches of hot oil. Lightly salt them as they are frying. This method provides a lightly crunchy skin, but allows the full flavor of the fish to come through.

With pollock, I like to either dredge in flour, then egg wash, then uncooked farina. It gives a soft crunch to the final fried product. The flour is seasoned with salt and pepper only.

Another great variation on this is to dredge the fish in flour, and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Sprinkle the top with a hint of tarragon, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, or simply with Old Bay Seasoning. Put 2 inches under the broiler until cooked through.

I'm not real fond of bear battered fish as the batter overpowers the delicate flavor of many fish. It's OK if used with strong flavored fish.

Adding coconut to panko bread crumbs creates a wonderful flavor for many fish as well, again using the flour-egg wash=breadcrumb technique.

Tip: If using fresh, whole trout, between 8 and 12 inches, when dredging in flour, take time to sprinkle some in the body cavity. And the tails, well they're like eating potato chips.:D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gooders mate we have a very well trout run trout farm near buy the ponds are naturally fed by the river and he uses organic feeds, they are not as good as wild but the best farmed I have eaten, I love them just dipped in flour and fried in butter, we have a lot of trout streams near here and as a kid I poached them all.
My fried Haddock in Matzo and Haddock and chips in my Mums fav Chippy, I am breaking my diet to take her there this Sunday for mothers day:)
padeswood 011.jpg

garden 2 039.jpg

Gooders mate we have a very well trout run trout farm near buy the ponds are naturally fed by the river and he uses organic feeds, they are not as good as wild but the best farmed I have eaten, I love them just dipped in flour and fried in butter, we have a lot of trout streams near here and as a kid I poached them all.
My fried Haddock in Matzo and Haddock and chips in my Mums fav Chippy, I am breaking my diet to take her there this Sunday for mothers day:)
View attachment 10420

View attachment 10421

That's great looking fish, my friend. I think if you were here in da U.Pm we'd have a grand time on a stream or two. I've been tying flies all day, well, not while watching our Church's bi-annual General Conference. In any case, I am now officially hungry, and so am going to make supper.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The only fried fish I've ever made is walleye and that's panfried (can you tell I'm already thinking about walleye and MN--the locker plant won't have fresh at this time of year--but I'll take frozen from Red Lake). We do one of two things: we flour the fillets, dip in egg OR beer and egg, and then dip in crushed saltine crackers OR seasoned flour. Fry in butter. Serve with lemon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom