Fried Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have some lovely Pollack, and enough bacon fat to fry it in.

I'm thinking of shaking the pieces in a mixture of flour, corn meal, and panko then pan frying in the bacon fat.

Do you think this breading mixture would work well? Do you have a better idea?:chef:

fyi: for future

season, dust in flour, dip in beaten egg, then in your breading mix.

also give cracker meal a try ... great on fish!

I'm thinking of shaking the pieces in a mixture of flour, corn meal, and panko then pan frying in the bacon fat.

Do you think this breading mixture would work well? Do you have a better idea?:chef:
The mix sounds good and in bacon fat yes just perfect I'd bread but use some beaten egg to help it stick set it on foil then cover with anther piece of foil and press in the four, corn meal panko to help it set.and what time is dinner:LOL:
kades

fyi: for future

season, dust in flour, dip in beaten egg, then in your breading mix.

also give cracker meal a try ... great on fish!

Thanks, Robo. That sounds good. I picked up some Mrs. Dash Original so I'll season with that. It sure smells good.

Standard breading procedure is in order.
Flour: to help egg to stick
Egg wash: to help the breading stick
Bread crumbs: to add the flavor, texture, and cooking protection.

When you use standard culinary practices you get good results most every time.

I usually beat 1 egg and pour it on the marinated fish. Then I mix the fish with the egg properly. I then prepare a mix of flour, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder and 1/2 teaspoon of hot chilli powder(optional). Then I dip the fish which is already coated with eggs in the bread mix. The frying oil should be very, very hot and very deep, then dip the fish in the oil and complete frying as usual. I discovered that there is no difference between dipping each piece of fish in the eggs or pouring the beaten eggs allover the fish. It gives the same result.:)

I usually beat 1 egg and pour it on the marinated fish. Then I mix the fish with the egg properly. I then prepare a mix of flour, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder and 1/2 teaspoon of hot chilli powder(optional). Then I dip the fish which is already coated with eggs in the bread mix. The frying oil should be very, very hot and very deep, then dip the fish in the oil and complete frying as usual. I discovered that there is no difference between dipping each piece of fish in the eggs or pouring the beaten eggs allover the fish. It gives the same result.:)

Coating the fish (or even chicken) with flour first, followed by egg and then your crust mixture, the flour layer prevents the finished crust from falling off. Using egg first will, more often than not, cause the crust to separate and fall off from the fish/chicken/etc.

Coating the fish (or even chicken) with flour first, followed by egg and then your crust mixture, the flour layer prevents the finished crust from falling off. Using egg first will, more often than not, cause the crust to separate and fall off from the fish/chicken/etc.

Nodding head, yup, yup, yup...^^^^^^

I've seen that happen. Now I know why. I always use the flour first because that's the way I've seen the best cooks do it. :) I have never had the problem.

Season the fish before it hits the flour! Season the flour! Season the egg wash and season the breading! Now you're on track!:chef:

Craig

Fried fish, French Style Green Beans, smashed baby red potatoes, Mrs. Dash & margarine.

OR,

Not make a mess in the kitchen and just poach the fish in Italian Salad Dressing, like Squirrelly Shirley taught me.

SQUIRRELY SHIRLEY’S POACHED FISH

1# Firm fish chunks
Italian Salad Dressing

Poach low & slow.

The vinegary taste of the dressing boils off and you’re left with all those spices. Mmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Fried Fish played a big part in my youth, we ate traif but Mum never fried it in bacon fat allways maizolla corn oil.
Fresh fish arrived at our local Market Town on wednesdays,Mum would buy fillets to eat hot that night and coat and fry bone in steaks to be eaten cold the next day with salad, the flavor of cold fried fish is wonderfull:)

May I suggest dusting the fish with fine semolina instead of flour, we found that it gave a slightly more crunchy furnish but more importantly, we could stack the fish on trays without fear of it sticking together

Zhizara, If you want to avoid the mess I would suggest you bake the fish in a hot oven, 425 for about 10/20 mins depending on the thickness of the fish. Melt some butter in the baking pan and pour half of it in some crushed cracker crumbs then dip the fish in the ramaining butter to coat them. Put the buttered crumbs on top of the fish and pop it in the oven. The only drawback to this recipe is that it is so quick it cuts into the cocktail hour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom