"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to brinorwood
Question Fried Oysters

Ok Love oysters, Raw and fried..I am a fair cook, Give me a pork butt and I'll give you GOOD EATS. BUT!!!!!
I tried fring oysters.. Think main ploblem was. All I can get around here are the ones in a pint tup..I tried a dry coat, a wet then dry, and a batter. And ever time I got something close to gluey muck, and just fried goooo.. Can it be done with the Oysters you get in a tup?????
I tried draining and not drain them, Washing them off, Just lost ..

Thanks for any help.
Brian

Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Get a box of Zatarains Fried fish coating at the store follow the instructions.It's really easy then check the ingredients on box it's nothing more than seasoned corn meal and then make up your own from there on.
It also work with oysters from a container also make sure your oil is hot enough

Old 08-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, Brian!

Having come from MD, the seafood in Atlanta is far from what we are used to but Mr HB loves fried oysters so much that I buy a tub every once in awhile. Our fresh seafood mkt is quite a drive and I don't get up there as often as I should.

First I blend up a sleever of saltines and season them with Old Bay and red pepper flakes.

Then I beat a few eggs.

Dip the oyster in eggs, then cracker crumbs, then eggs and another coat of crackers.

It's the way his mom made them so it makes him happy. I'm sure there will be more sophisticated versions around here soon.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Do what half baked says, but use cornmeal and flour mixture. Have the oil very hot and don't overcook.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I do what HB says but use seasoned bread crumbs and add a little garlic.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Okay - I've been a big-time fried oyster fan for YEARS!!! Can't get enough of them & have tried many, many, MANY variations. Everything imaginable. One thing I'll say which is definitely my own preference is that I don't like raw oysters, so I definitely want my oysters cooked thru. Not obliterated; but cooked. Following are just my experiences only, nothing else.

Panko? Outside overcooked to the point of burning, before inside cooked.

Breadcrumbs? Better, but too greasy for some reason.

Beer batter? Good, & definitely a method I use from time to time.

Cornmeal dipped? Same as above.

Seasoned Flour dipped? My hands-down favorite. Light crust, cooked through quickly without being overdone or greasy. Perfect. My current favorite way to fry oysters. I use them this way on their own or in "Po' Boy" sandwiches. Always get rave reviews.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I do a bread crumb/flour mix, seasoned. I cannot do raw oysters, just can't, they make me gag. Sorry. We get oysters in the tub, uphere too, I am afraid. But I have made happy faces at the table with them. Hmmmmm. Bought mussels yesterday for a treat, next week will be oysters.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to brinorwood
So many good idea's, Thanks all, Now if I could just get the wife to eat one LOL She seems to think, They look slimey must taste slimey.
But thanks again .
Brian
Old 08-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Master Chef

Brinorwood - your wife is not alone - lol!! While I love raw clams on the half shell, I have NEVER liked raw oysters, & have to admit that I do find them "slimy" when raw. Therefore, even when I fry them I make sure they are cooked through, & they do solidify right up almost immediately - no slime at all.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Fried Oysters in flour and cornmeal mix is one of my favorites but someone else did the cooking. I would pat them dry....dip in buttermilk then in the breading. Fry quickly in hot oil and drain on paper towels.

Tags
None