"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
A Thousand years ago or so, I stopped at this little restaurant located on North Island Naval Air Station while on the way to where I to where I worked. They had on the menu a shrimp burger. I was intrigued and so purchased one. I took one bite and fell instantly in love with that item. I was single back then, and so had disposable income. I haven't had that in 37 or so years, disposable income, that is.. After I moved off of the base, and into my own apartment, I never had another shrimp burger to this day.

Your recipe may just make that wonderful burger a reality once more. Thanks PPT. I'm thinking that the shrimp maybe goes into the blender before being mixed with the other ingredients. Is that correct?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
For some reason, the only places I've ever found shrimp burgers on the menu are in little diners around North Dakota, a state not known for its local shrimp. But oh, what shrimp burgers they are, golden and crunchy and delicious.

Shrimp burgers on the menu this weekend!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Oh My Gosh !!

That looks stunning !!

It is going into our menu this weekend.

Thanks for sharing this ... yummmmmmm !!!!!
You are welcome!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
A Thousand years ago or so, I stopped at this little restaurant located on North Island Naval Air Station while on the way to where I to where I worked. They had on the menu a shrimp burger. I was intrigued and so purchased one. I took one bite and fell instantly in love with that item. I was single back then, and so had disposable income. I haven't had that in 37 or so years, disposable income, that is.. After I moved off of the base, and into my own apartment, I never had another shrimp burger to this day.

Your recipe may just make that wonderful burger a reality once more. Thanks PPT. I'm thinking that the shrimp maybe goes into the blender before being mixed with the other ingredients. Is that correct?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Bad Idea unless you like mush. Because that is what will happen in the blender. Dice them by hand into very small pieces and then mix in the other ingredients. Shrimp are delicate once they are thawed out. Remember they are kept frozen from the time the are dropped on the aft deck until they reach your store. Like any food, the ice crystals do some unavoidable damage. Treat them like you do crab cakes. Delicately.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, I watch the video in full. He ran that little blender three times. That shrimp was total mush by the time he got through. I think I would rather have little pieces so the full flavor can come through. And I do think he could have added more shrimp or panko bread crumbs to give it more structure. And I would have like to see the bun toasted.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Bad Idea unless you like mush. Because that is what will happen in the blender. Dice them by hand into very small pieces and then mix in the other ingredients. Shrimp are delicate once they are thawed out. Remember they are kept frozen from the time the are dropped on the aft deck until they reach your store. Like any food, the ice crystals do some unavoidable damage. Treat them like you do crab cakes. Delicately.
Quote:
Okay, I watch the video in full. He ran that little blender three times. That shrimp was total mush by the time he got through. I think I would rather have little pieces so the full flavor can come through. And I do think he could have added more shrimp or panko bread crumbs to give it more structure. And I would have like to see the bun toasted.
with you about the consistency addie.when i make prawn(shrimp)burgers i pulse most of the prawns in the blender and,you are right,you do get a very soft consistency.i then chop up the remaining prawns & mix those into the blended prawns with some panko as you said in your second post.the chopped prawns give you little nuggets of flavour & the panko firms up the mixture & soaks up some of the moisture.i cook mine on a griddle pan & the cooked burger has the same firm consistency as a regular cooked prawn.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
with you about the consistency addie.when i make prawn(shrimp)burgers i pulse most of the prawns in the blender and,you are right,you do get a very soft consistency.i then chop up the remaining prawns & mix those into the blended prawns with some panko as you said in your second post.the chopped prawns give you little nuggets of flavour & the panko firms up the mixture & soaks up some of the moisture.i cook mine on a griddle pan & the cooked burger has the same firm consistency as a regular cooked prawn.
I think in that video, he realized he was in trouble with it being to soupy and felt he had to try and rescue it the best he could. He probably didn't have any more shrimp to do it all over again.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
I think in that video, he realized he was in trouble with it being to soupy and felt he had to try and rescue it the best he could. He probably didn't have any more shrimp to do it all over again.
probably...that's why i always pulse rather than full speed blend.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mine turned out nice and chunky, added the shrimp last, and just pulsed the ingredients. They also held up well in patties for frying.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Mine turned out nice and chunky, added the shrimp last, and just pulsed the ingredients. They also held up well in patties for frying.
Nice to know I m not the only one who doesn't like mush.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Nice to know I m not the only one who doesn't like mush.
My problem (not that it's a big deal) is that I mixed in panko instead of flour, and those suckers turned out huge! They really poofed up!

DH proclaimed them "gourmet". I wanted "ND" shrimp burgers.

Tags
shrimp