"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Chef Jimmy, so what did you end up doing for Mother's Day?

Old 05-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

IC, It turned out pretty good, I flash seared the lobster tail, put it in the middle and then roasted the tenderloin. Cooked it mid rare and it was perfect, the lobster didn't over cook (my biggest fear) and every one enjoyed it. I did "steal" your advice about infusing truffle oil in the bearnaise (thanks for the idea, hate to steal, but i guess every idea starts somewhere) It really rocked, it brought everything together very nicely. I really liked the idea of the wellington style, but i have to figure out another way to do it if i do it for regular service, if it didn't all go out at once, i don't think it would have held well with all of the components. I used the claw meat to make a lobster and avocado salad on mesclun with citrus viniagrette (tangerine and lime) and even topped it with a thin slice of black truffle and it was a definate hit. I will make that again for sure. It would be great for a lunch, but were not open for lunch..oh well. Sous chef made a "pink peppercorn fume blanc" for lobster that night that was incredible (lobster stock for the lobsters, pink peppercorns and fume blanc wine with some other great seasonings and reduced it slightly. It was all in all a good day. Thanks for the truffle idea. P.S. I got some beautiful skate for the fish special tommorrow night. That should sell well

Old 05-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Hey we all "steal" (I prefer the word "borrow") ideas from other chefs. I borrowed the idea from Harold on Top Chef about using the sunchokes to "cream" the spinach in. That never occured to me to use something like that.

Here's an idea for your surf 'n turf Wellington for ala carte service. You could make puff pastry tuiles or boats, then cook off the lobster, steak, mushrooms, etc. seperately, and plate it together at the end. You could even make puff pastry tops and place the top on the finished product, or off-set the top so that it's leaning on one side. Of course this would actually be more like Steak and Lobster en Croute, but it would have pretty much the same flavor as your Wellington and you wouldn't have to worry about the individual components as much.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I was thinking about making it "en croute" just wrap a fillet, but then it would be hard to incorporate the lobster, but tuilles would be nice, i make almond laced tuilles to serve ice cream and berries in they are a very nice presentation. Tuilles (for the people who don't know, are cups mady by lapping pastry, thin cookie ect... over a cup in the oven so the sides fall down and make a little cup....for the most part) filled with the itens, would be like a deconstructed wellington, maybe i could leave the mushrooms a little larger than the normal tiny duxells size. I really liked the bearnaise though, i would like to use that idea again. I love to cook fish, but as far as the sauces, i keep them very simple as to not overpower the fish. After all, thats why i pay so much for the best, it doesn't need to be heavily sauced. The fish needs to speak. For instance, i have some skate and will probable just do a buerre noisete (hazelnut, or brown butter) or maybe an orange butter, something simple that compliments the fish in a light manner.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Executive Chef

With fish and seafood, I guess I'm more of a "push the envelope" type in regards to sauce and seasonings. But even if I might have a ton of different flavors on the plate, the flavor of the fish doesn't get lost. Certain things though I'll keep simple. Skate would be one of those things, but I don't really work with skate very often, if at all.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I really envy the asian flavors you use, i really wish i could, but it doesn't fit into my restaurants style (french) I think it is great that you get to use the ingredients but with classic fusion style. If i do private parties or cater or something of that nature, i get wild myself. I love to do totally unothadox things. sometimes they are great, sometimes not as good. If I cook somewhere else i am definately going to look for a place like yours. I love fusion cooking. I have noticed the pics and recipes you post and have really been experimenting with different cuisines on the side. I got on a Carribbean kick for a while and it was fun. I love making sauces, I remember being a saucier at another restaurant with no restraints.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I think most of us in the industry have worked in places where menu constraints have hindered our cooking strengths, creativity, etc. I worked in a steakhouse where we did not have any ginger in the entire restaurant. Probably 1/4th of my Asian and/or fusion dishes have ginger in them in some capacity.

Tags
None