Frozen salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Hi,
I need some advice please. I was able to obtain a nice big fillet of of fresh salmon ( would feed 6 people) but as I don't need it just now I have frozen it. My question is, after defrosting it could I make gravulax with it? This would obviously mean marinating it for 2-3 days before serving. If not, then I can poach it or cook it another way of course.
Thanks

I've made graavlax out of frozen salmon I had caught on Lake Michigan. It was excellent.

maybe you would like to see what I have been doing for the past year? ( Wrong catagory but what the heck1) IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_20170205_152942.jpg

IMG_20170205_152954.jpg

IMG_20170205_153114.jpg

IMG_20170205_154147 (1).jpgWe built a wooden house and this is the open plan space. we had our housewarming on sunday. 35 of us 'lived it up'!

A little story: we had a sort of family reunion in Michigan and went fishing on two charter boats on Lake Huron. No fish had been caught for months. But guess what? We caught more than we could eat! And ended up giving fish away! We had a wonderful fish cook, and bartered for free jetski time. In the absolutely freezing water. Luckily, being a former NoDak, I grew up driving a snowmobile and was the only one who didn't dump my passengers in the water.

We wrapped and brought the remaining salmon home frozen in a cooler. Michigan lake salmon is a lot milder and whiter than Pacific salmon.

Last edited:
It turned out that way! Yes, I play an Irish drum with a few of my friends. There was a lot of Bearnaise singing as well. Can't stop 'em once they get going! Bless them

LOL, well you certainly made me pull out the dictionary! :LOL:

Had never heard of la Bearnaise other than a sauce!

That led to a berceuse....

I think virtually all fish, and 100% of the salmon, sold in the US must be frozen by law prior to sale.

The exception is some tuna.

I think virtually all fish, and 100% of the salmon, sold in the US must be frozen by law prior to sale.

The exception is some tuna.
Some stores didn't get the memo. Bought some salmon a few month ago at the local Walmart, it was labeled "Never been Frozen" (or something like that). Now, be aware, I live in Kentucky. So when I opened the plastic seal, the smell wasn't of the ocean, but of the local land field :mad:.
Bottom line, always buy frozen fish.

Bottom line, always buy frozen fish.

The only frozen fish I'll eat are those I have shot myself or from trusted friends. Your first clue that the "fresh" fish you bought was a bad choice was the packaging.;)

Back
Top Bottom