Buon Giorno, Ladies & Gents,
This recipe hails from close to the Italian frontier on the former Yugoslavian border ... Simple sautéed fresh shrimp with fresh herbs, paprika and served over slices of grilled Polenta. Drink a chilled Toscai White from Fruili with this dish or a Prosecco.
This is our Sunday Lunch ... June 10th ...
GAMBERETTI CON ERBES FRESCHE e POLENTA ...
SHRIMP WITH FRESH HERBS AND GRILLED POLENTA ...
5 tblsps Evoo
2 garlic cloves crushed in mortar with pestle
2 pounds of fresh large shrimp peeled, deveined, tails left intact
1/4 cup packed tightly fresh Basil finely chopped
2 tblsps fresh Marjoram finely chopped or dried 2 tsps.
2 tsps. Hungarian Paprika ( 1 Sweet and 1 Piquant )
salt and rose, green, black freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup dry white wine from Italy: Fruili or Veneto
1. Heat Evoo in a heavy large skillet over medium heat
2. add garlic and sauté until golden about 2 mins.
3. discard the garlic
4. increase heat to medium high and add the shrimp and the herbs and sauté until shrimp are just coral pink about 1 minute
5. stir in paprika and season with salt and freshly ground peppercorns
6. add the white wine and reduce heat to medium low simmer
7. cover and cook until shrimp are cooked through about 3 mins.
8. spoon shrimp over the polenta
4 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups cornmeal ( preferably Italian )
4 fresh dried sage leaves chopped
1. oil and 8 inch round cake pan with 2 Inch high sides
2. bring the water with the salt to boil in large heavy saucepan
3. gradually whisk in the corn meal and whisk mixture until mixture boils and thickens, about 2 mins.
4. Reduce heat to low and add the sage
5. cook cornmeal until thick and thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes
6. transfer the mixture to the prepared cake baking pan
7. smooth top and brush with Evoo and cover and refrigerate until set, 1 hour
8. prepare the oven to 250 degrees farenheit
9. cut the polenta in wedges and broil 2 mins. per side or sauté stovetop until deep golden and transfer to plates
10. Serve with shrimp spooned on top
Serve with crusty warm oven bread and Prosecco or Fruili or Veneto DOC White Wine ...