Garlic-Chili Shrimp and Grits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Garlic-Chili Shrimp and Grits

1 bunch fresh asparagus
3 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1/2 cup half-and-half
6 T. butter or margarine, divided
1 1/2 T. chili-garlic paste, divided
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 lb. peeled, large fresh shrimp
2 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Cut into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
Bring 3 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; whisk in grits and half-and-half.
Cook; whisk constantly, 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
Stir in 4 T. butter and 1 1/2 tsps. chili-garlic paste. Set grits aside; keep warm.
Melt remaining 2 T. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and green onions, and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
Add shrimp and remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth, and cook mixture 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in remaining 1 T. chili-garlic paste, lemon juice, and salt; cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve immediately over warm grits.

Yield: 4 servings

Note: IF YOU ARE IN AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN GET THEM, USE STONE GROUND GRITS!!

Lol, Rainee, I was going to comment on the 'instant' grits before I had read your entire post! Yes, yes, yes, use stone ground grits if you can find 'em; I'd even be willing to send them to folks who can't get them - let me know, I'll email you my addy!

Rainee - is the 'chile-garlic' paste an oriental paste?

Here is a recipe for the paste if you can't find it.

2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, 3 peeled and 1 minced
6 small dried chili peppers or 1 teaspoon chili flakes

Heat 1/3 cup of the olive oil in a small skillet over a medium flame. Add the peeled garlic and chili; cook 2 minutes, or until the garlic is golden and the chili peppers are swollen (or the chili flakes are aromatic). Cool the garlic and chili 5 minutes, then crush in a mortar with a pestle into a coarse paste.

Add the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil to the skillet over medium heat and cook the minced garlic until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the prepared garlic-chili paste and cook 30 seconds. Makes 4 servings.

Or you can use something like this.

HF002.jpg

Quick cooking grits are not the same as the nasty instant grits. I only use the stone ground (when I can get it) or the quick cooking; never the instant stuff.

That is correct. I can eat the quick grits or the stone ground grits. But you can keep the instant grits! YUK!

Stone ground are the best!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom