"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My husband eats them at one sushi bar that has them. Actually, only one comes in at a time. If anyone has a weak stomach I suggest you quit reading at this point...remember, I gave you fair warning!!!!!!

Warning #2!!!!!!!!!

Fine...............

This animal comes in alive and thin slices are shaved off and served sashimi style. Once the animal dies it may not be eaten anymore. I tried it once - don't care for the texture...as far as flavor I don't really remember it being yummy good . It's got a crunch to it much like cartiledge...that party I don't like!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I just figured out that this discussion is about gooey duck clams. I have learned something new today! Anyway, I would try the geoducks. I'm pretty adventuresome when it comes to eating. Just think where we would be if no one had ever tried a raw oyster on the half shell.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooksie View Post
I just figured out that this discussion is about gooey duck clams. I have learned something new today! Anyway, I would try the geoducks. I'm pretty adventuresome when it comes to eating. Just think where we would be if no one had ever tried a raw oyster on the half shell.
Sorry ~ I just couldn't bring myself to post a picture.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
Head Chef

Goooo-ey goeduck! It's a Seattle / West Coast thing or so I'm told ... It's like a snail x 100002.

/gulps

Razor clams I can do! I will even help you dig 'em up. But I have not been adventurous enough to do the others. At least not yet ...

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #15
Head Chef

But oy oy! Oysters I love. Anthony's on Pier 66, Matt's Oyster House at Redmond TownCenter, Crab Pot Happy Hour, 0/8 at the Bellevue Hyatt, Swan's in Portland, and my favorite Pike's Place fish monger~ City Fish!!! /cheers JD

Even those that our friend J-Money (ok ok, Justin) digs up from his Mom's place over at Hood Canal.

Once you start you can't stop!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Well, Bobby Flay did a Throwdown with a guy who made clam chowder and it was in Boston and the guy Bobby challenged used geoduck that he had caught fresh, so I don't know if it's a east coast / west coast thing or just a coastal thing.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Head Chef

Geoduck are tasty. Our favorite sushi bar has them frequently. If they are available I always order some. And they do make good chowder.

Never known a female that didn't gasp the first time she saw one.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Well, Bobby Flay did a Throwdown with a guy who made clam chowder and it was in Boston and the guy Bobby challenged used geoduck that he had caught fresh, so I don't know if it's a east coast / west coast thing or just a coastal thing.
That was one of my favorite Throwdowns. The young guy was a surfer, and he was quite funny. He seemed truly shocked when Bobby and party showed up. He said Bobby looked like Darth Vader pulling up in that big black pickup with the dark tinted windows.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Absolutely WASN'T a Geoduck, even if the guy said so. Geoducks are strictly a Pacific coast inhabitant. If the guy said that he caught them fresh himself, what he caught were "Surf Clams", which resemble a mid-way point between Steamer/Soft-Shell clams & Geoducks. While shaped like soft-shells, their shell is hard & measures approx. 6"-8" long at maturity (Geoducks can reach over a foot in length). As kids we used to collect the empty shells that washed up on the east-coast ocean beaches & our parents used them as ashtrays.

They're commercially harvested & used not only in chowder, but also in the ever-popular "breaded fried clam strips" in your grocer's freezer section.

However, they're definitely not Geoducks.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
Sous Chef

So, 'geoduck' is the plural form of the word also?

Tags
None