Geoduck - What about them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
So I'm watching Iron Chef America and I have to wonder, who ever decided geoduck was edible and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used it.

No, you didn't do anything wrong, but a one word title doesn't really tell the whole story. Sometimes a title needs to be reworded or embellished to get the response you are looking for. That's one of the things admins and mods take care of.

We are watching IC too. SO freaked when she saw the geoduck! Had no idea they existed and was NOT interested in trying it.

I never have as I am allergic to clams.

I would definitely want to try it and then be told what I ate. If I knew I was eating it, I just couldn't do it. I love clam chowder, all kinds I've tasted so far, so I'd probably like it but if I saw it first, it would ruin the experience.

Try to catch Anthony Bordain's "No Reservations" episode - "Pacific Northwest". There's a terrific segment where he helps dig up some Geoduck & then gets to dine on several different prep methods (raw, sauteed, etc., etc.) right on the beach. Really interesting.

Also, there are several Pacific coast seafood purveyors that will ship them to you during certain times of the year. "Catalina" is one of them.

My husband eats them at one sushi bar that has them. Actually, only one comes in at a time. If anyone has a weak stomach I suggest you quit reading at this point...remember, I gave you fair warning!!!!!!

Warning #2!!!!!!!!!

Fine...............

This animal comes in alive and thin slices are shaved off and served sashimi style. Once the animal dies it may not be eaten anymore. I tried it once - don't care for the texture...as far as flavor I don't really remember it being yummy good :LOL:. It's got a crunch to it much like cartiledge...that party I don't like!!!

I just figured out that this discussion is about gooey duck clams. :LOL: I have learned something new today! Anyway, I would try the geoducks. I'm pretty adventuresome when it comes to eating. Just think where we would be if no one had ever tried a raw oyster on the half shell.

I just figured out that this discussion is about gooey duck clams. :LOL: I have learned something new today! Anyway, I would try the geoducks. I'm pretty adventuresome when it comes to eating. Just think where we would be if no one had ever tried a raw oyster on the half shell.
Sorry ~ I just couldn't bring myself to post a picture.

Goooo-ey goeduck! It's a Seattle / West Coast thing or so I'm told ... It's like a snail x 100002. :ohmy:

/gulps

Razor clams I can do! I will even help you dig 'em up. But I have not been adventurous enough to do the others. At least not yet ...

But oy oy! Oysters I love. Anthony's on Pier 66, Matt's Oyster House at Redmond TownCenter, Crab Pot Happy Hour, 0/8 at the Bellevue Hyatt, Swan's in Portland, and my favorite Pike's Place fish monger~ City Fish!!! /cheers JD

Even those that our friend J-Money (ok ok, Justin) digs up from his Mom's place over at Hood Canal.

Once you start you can't stop!

Well, Bobby Flay did a Throwdown with a guy who made clam chowder and it was in Boston and the guy Bobby challenged used geoduck that he had caught fresh, so I don't know if it's a east coast / west coast thing or just a coastal thing.

Geoduck are tasty. Our favorite sushi bar has them frequently. If they are available I always order some. And they do make good chowder.

Never known a female that didn't gasp the first time she saw one.:LOL:

Well, Bobby Flay did a Throwdown with a guy who made clam chowder and it was in Boston and the guy Bobby challenged used geoduck that he had caught fresh, so I don't know if it's a east coast / west coast thing or just a coastal thing.

That was one of my favorite Throwdowns. The young guy was a surfer, and he was quite funny. He seemed truly shocked when Bobby and party showed up. He said Bobby looked like Darth Vader pulling up in that big black pickup with the dark tinted windows.

Absolutely WASN'T a Geoduck, even if the guy said so. Geoducks are strictly a Pacific coast inhabitant. If the guy said that he caught them fresh himself, what he caught were "Surf Clams", which resemble a mid-way point between Steamer/Soft-Shell clams & Geoducks. While shaped like soft-shells, their shell is hard & measures approx. 6"-8" long at maturity (Geoducks can reach over a foot in length). As kids we used to collect the empty shells that washed up on the east-coast ocean beaches & our parents used them as ashtrays.

They're commercially harvested & used not only in chowder, but also in the ever-popular "breaded fried clam strips" in your grocer's freezer section.

However, they're definitely not Geoducks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom