"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Those fortunate to live near the coast or with access to reputable fishmongers who offer quality fresh seafood are among the minority. For the rest of us, selecting good quality fish and shellfish can be a challenge. I'd much rather buy IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) seafood than buy "fresh" seafood that's been shipped in and held on ice for a week or more before I buy it.
isn't all of costa rica near a coast?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Head Chef

As of noon today I am the fortunate purchaser of a whole Pompano, fresh from the Gulf of Mexico. And the lady behind the counter couldn't have been nicer. She took the 1.3 lb. fish to the back to gut and behead it, then put it on ice and told me just how to cook it. So that's for supper tonight! I may have to eat early.

I have this interesting thread to thank --

Yes, Bill. What is a bull rake?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Bull Rake

A stainless steel rake about 16" wide with a T-bar tubular aluminum handle, adjustable in length from 9 to 14', and costing about $300.
Rake but not handle shown below.
Takes women like those from Lake Wobegon to handle such a rake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BullRake.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	16794  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
Those fortunate to live near the coast or with access to reputable fishmongers who offer quality fresh seafood are among the minority. For the rest of us, selecting good quality fish and shellfish can be a challenge. I'd much rather buy IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) seafood than buy "fresh" seafood that's been shipped in and held on ice for a week or more before I buy it.
I'm with you. I live far from either coast, so except for fresh lake/river fish, and the occasional special delivery of life clams or lobster, IQF is the way to go.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Having been married to a commercial fisherman/shrimper, I live on the East Coast and have the best of the fish world. Other than day boats, I know that the majority of the seafood we buy at any local market, can be up to ten days old by the time it hits the retail market. I NEVER buy fish on a Monday. The fish is Friday's offload. It has been sitting around too long for me. I love deep sea scallops. They don't like me. I can taste the Iodine immediately. I put one in my mouth, and often have to spit it right back out. The bigger the scallop, the more Iodine.

When my husband was shrimping out of Texas, they would toss blue crabs overboard as soon as they emptied the bag of the aft deck. Sometimes he would bring home more than ten pounds of them for supper. Still alive and kicking. During my marriage to him, I had some good eating.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Having been married to a commercial fisherman/shrimper, I live on the East Coast and have the best of the fish world. Other than day boats, I know that the majority of the seafood we buy at any local market, can be up to ten days old by the time it hits the retail market. I NEVER buy fish on a Monday. The fish is Friday's offload. It has been sitting around too long for me. I love deep sea scallops. They don't like me. I can taste the Iodine immediately. I put one in my mouth, and often have to spit it right back out. The bigger the scallop, the more Iodine.

When my husband was shrimping out of Texas, they would toss blue crabs overboard as soon as they emptied the bag of the aft deck. Sometimes he would bring home more than ten pounds of them for supper. Still alive and kicking. During my marriage to him, I had some good eating.
That's one reason why I like bay scallops. Another reason is that they're sometimes available for easy harvesting when they're blown ashore during certain winter storms.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Head Chef

The Pompano is history -- a meal last night and a seafood soup for the leftovers at lunchtime today. Now that I've broken the ice re fresh whole fish, I'll be trying a different type next time. The seller had described it as "buttery." It was good, but I think she was describing the texture rather than the flavor. I prefer a firmer-fleshed type and will probably try a red snapper next time.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The Pompano is history -- a meal last night and a seafood soup for the leftovers at lunchtime today. Now that I've broken the ice re fresh whole fish, I'll be trying a different type next time. The seller had described it as "buttery." It was good, but I think she was describing the texture rather than the flavor. I prefer a firmer-fleshed type and will probably try a red snapper next time.
Be sure to tell her, so she can learn what you like. Then she can make really good recommendations.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Be sure to tell her, so she can learn what you like. Then she can make really good recommendations.
Good idea, tax. I'm going to try to make this a once-weekly item on my calendar and to eat more fish in general.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Head Chef

Week No. 2 in my efforts to make Thursdays "Fish Shop Day." This morning Sam, the lady fishmonger, had some small, whole Snappers, but when I told her I'd like something firmer, said those would not fill the bill. I came home with a half pound of Tripletail filet and four fat scallops. She said I could bake the fish in foil as I did the Pompano, but we agreed that fried fish is really hard to beat. That's probably what I'll do -- roll in cornmeal & pan fry. I think I'll look in the DC seafood section as to how to do the scallops. She was telling me about a recipe for blackened fish -- said she'd bring me a sample for next time I'm in. I'm thinking it will be next Thursday.

Tags
fish