Getting to know your fish monger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Week No. 2 in my efforts to make Thursdays "Fish Shop Day." This morning Sam, the lady fishmonger, had some small, whole Snappers, but when I told her I'd like something firmer, said those would not fill the bill. I came home with a half pound of Tripletail filet and four fat scallops. She said I could bake the fish in foil as I did the Pompano, but we agreed that fried fish is really hard to beat. That's probably what I'll do -- roll in cornmeal & pan fry. I think I'll look in the DC seafood section as to how to do the scallops. She was telling me about a recipe for blackened fish -- said she'd bring me a sample for next time I'm in. I'm thinking it will be next Thursday.

Did you ask her if the scallops were "dry ones?' A lot of places soak them in a solution and it adds weight to them. Makes it difficult to saute' them. :angel:

For finned fish, some crabs and a few spieces of lobster, my fish monger is the Atlantic ocean off the S.E. Florida coast.;) My prefered method of harvesting the fish is selecting the one I want and spearing it. There is no wasteful by-catch.:) Crabs and lobster are caught by hand or non-injury causing snare.:)

Did you ask her if the scallops were "dry ones?' A lot of places soak them in a solution and it adds weight to them. Makes it difficult to saute' them. :angel:

I hadn't heard about that, Addie. What kind of solution and why do they soak them?

The solution contains a salt preservative, so the scallops absorb water. Dry-packed scallops don't contain the preservative, so they brown better and taste better. They cost more, but you're not paying for the water weight, so they're worth it.

The solution contains a salt preservative, so the scallops absorb water. Dry-packed scallops don't contain the preservative, so they brown better and taste better. They cost more, but you're not paying for the water weight, so they're worth it.

Thanks. :)

Living along the coast and being married to a fisheman, we have all sorts of really fresh sea products available to us. My husband had been fishing out of New Bedford for one season. There are mostly scallopers in that port. So one time when I went there to meet him, he was able to get me about fifteen scallops still in their shells, just a few hours out of the water. Now scallops are my all time favorite seafood. I was so lucky that at that time none of my kids liked seafood. The two of us had a feast. :angel:

Living along the coast and being married to a fisheman, we have all sorts of really fresh sea products available to us. My husband had been fishing out of New Bedford for one season. There are mostly scallopers in that port. So one time when I went there to meet him, he was able to get me about fifteen scallops still in their shells, just a few hours out of the water. Now scallops are my all time favorite seafood. I was so lucky that at that time none of my kids liked seafood. The two of us had a feast. :angel:

Oh yum! Scallops are a favorite of mine, too.

Just by coincidence, yesterday one of Martha Stewart's recorded TV programs was featuring seared scallops. So last night I had my four seared scallops on top of fettucini alfredo. Mighty good.

Back
Top Bottom