Gorton's Fish Fillets...parts are parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why, I made a chicken dish like that and it was great. I took chicken meat, threw it in a blender with an egg, a bit of chicken stock, some salt, spices, and a touch of cornstarch. I rolled the paste into balls and fried them. They were deliscious and everyone knew what they were getting. Everyone loved them.

Do I care if Gorton's products are made from paste, no I don't, unless of course, they're adding meal worms to the mix.:ROFLMAO: It's still fish, and uses up product that would otherwise be waste. And we take far too much from the sea to be wasteful of anything.

Yes, I too liked the products better when they were made from whole fish, just like I usually use whole, bone-on poultry, pork, beef, etc. But that doesn't mean I will turn up my nose at a good hot dog, or even potted meat. If it tastes good, and doesn't contain ingredients that are dangerous or gross (BT, keep those cockroaches away from my blender:ohmy:), what difference does it really make.

Personally, I don't purchase the Gorton's fish fillet products because I don't like the texture. I have found better brands for my tastes. And besides, I love fishing. But I'm not going to fault them on something that is done in most food industries. I mean, head cheese, all forms of sausages, pate's, forcemeats, hash, etc. are all mixtures of ground up products. Even Carl's Junior's (yuk!:yuk:) french fries are an extruded paste product. I would think Cheetoes would be the same. And what aout Pringle's Potato products, yep, mashed and pressed little chips. You didn't think they developed a spud that made those perfectly shaped little stackable chips did you? Of course you didn't.

Just my take on things.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I had to go check the freezer. I don't have fish sticks I have Mrs Paul's Beer Battered Fish Fillets and it says on the box "Cut from whole fillets No minced pieces". I'll let you know tomorrow night becasuse that is tomorrow night's dinner.

Oh and talking about warnings, there is one under the ingredient list and it says in big white letters:

CONTAINS: FISH (POLLOOCK), WHEAT.

Gee.. fish fillets contain fish????? Who knew??:LOL:

I had to go check the freezer. I don't have fish sticks I have Mrs Paul's Beer Battered Fish Fillets and it says on the box "Cut from whole fillets No minced pieces". I'll let you know tomorrow night becasuse that is tomorrow night's dinner.

Oh and talking about warnings, there is one under the ingredient list and it says in big white letters:

CONTAINS: FISH (POLLOOCK), WHEAT.

Gee.. fish fillets contain fish????? Who knew??:LOL:

:LOL:

Under ingredients the label should say - Something Fishy

:LOL:

Under ingredients the label should say - Something Fishy

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I don't like the fish sticks or fish fillets by Gordon's or the others, they never turn out the way I like them, and even the kids are kinda blah on them.
I have always liked Long John Silvers but it can be on the greasy side at some places, and DW doesn't like all the grease or the fish they use. Then a friend told me it was all just Golden Dipt batter. So I used some Tilapia and the Golden Dipt and it has been a hit every since. Needed a little help on making sure all the oil drips off, but got a good suggestion for that so I am all set now!

Here is a warning label for some of the really cheap fish sticks out there:

Warning: Fish like product may, despite our best efforts, contain some fish.

You can blend fish fillets with a bit of lemon, a beaten egg, salt and pepper. Shape it into fish sticks, and then you roll them in flour, egg white and...breadcrumbs mixed with chopped corn flakes. Spray a bit of oil and put them in the oven. Tastes nice and the breadcrumb and corn flake mix makes them nice and crunchy.

I only buy them to get my kids used to eating fish, so I can make normal fish down the road.
Maybe it wont work, since the fish sticks (fiilets) are nothing like fish!!!

If you want your kids to like fish "on down the pike," try making them these. These are the "real" fish sticks! Even the grownups love them. and I learned to make them in PARIS! of all places.... at the RITZ! :rolleyes:

Goujonettes of Sole
You’re going to look at this recipe and say, “But I don’t eat FRIED food!” Please look again. This dish (which was included in the very first cooking class I took in France) is the forerunner of many an American kid¹s favorite. ­ Fish Sticks! Once you make these for your children they will not want to return to Mrs. Paul. And guess what? Fried food is NOT greasy if you do it right. The easy steps in this recipe will show you how.
6 servings
3 soles (or 6 fillets) weighing about 2 ½ pounds
4 large eggs
sea salt & pepper
1 large bunch curly parsley
oil for deep frying
about 2 cups flour
3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (If you want to make it, I'll post the recipe)

2 lemons, cut in four sections, each
Tartar Sauce (see Basics)

1. Cut each sole fillet diagonally into 5 strips.

2. Beat the eggs with a little oil, salt and pepper.

3. Detach the parsley leaves from their stems. Wash and thoroughly dry. Reserve.

4. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Roll the strips of sole in the flour, gently shake off any excess flour, then dip in the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Gently press the breadcrumbs onto each piece of fish.

5. Fry the strips of sole until they are golden brown, then drain and sprinkle with salt.

6. Fry the parsley leaves until dark green and crisp; drain and sprinkle with salt.

7. Serve the sole on a warmed platter garnished with the parsley and lemons. Serve homemade Tartar Sauce in a dish on the side. THESE fish sticks deserve only the best!

Teacher’s Tip: Test the temperature of the oil with a thermometer, or by tossing a cube of bread into the hot fat. This is important, because if the oil is not hot enough, the breading will absorb the oil. If the oil is too hot, the breading will burn before the fish is cooked.

and just for the record, I don't think they still own Gortons, but did you know that company was owned by the Moonies? :ohmy:

That sounds really good - I cannot get sole, but have access to lots of good, freshly-caught dorado/mahi-mahi and red snapper. I'm thinking you could also use tilapia, even salmon filets. I'm going to make it very soon - thanks for the recipe.

Haven't had fish stick in yearsssssss, use to like them on hamburger buns with Miracle whip ! Maybe the grandsons would like that too . lol

lol, it's a gatweway fish for future sushi addicts like you and me. :cool:

DW has turned me into an absolute sushi addict as well. I even swore I would never eat calamari, but now I love it raw, fried, and whole in a hot jalapeño sauce. I saw a show on TV where the Chef thin sliced octopus, then slapped it on the table so it puffed up before serving it. Looked cool.
Yum!

That sounds really good - I cannot get sole, but have access to lots of good, freshly-caught dorado/mahi-mahi and red snapper. I'm thinking you could also use tilapia, even salmon filets. I'm going to make it very soon - thanks for the recipe.

You can use any white fish you can get your hands on... cod is not as good as the "thinner" fillets.

It works!!!!!

OMG!!!!!
son #2 (4) will not eat meat. wont. will not.

He ATE all of his salmon!!!!!

I din't give him much, but he ate it!!!

I thank the fish paste sticks. ;)

(although he did eat steak last night too.....)

There was a small chain of Alfies Fish and Chips that closed down here.
There are still a few in my area, but not like this store. It was torn down.
Now it's all mall type buildings with the name Alfies. Best fish and chips I ever ate. The store was even built like an english tavern. There were free copies of an English newspaper there to read.

Anyways, I go to buy cod in the supermarket, frozen in bags and it's pretty expensive! Even at Alfies, the delicious lesser priced fish and chips was bass, not cod. Still very delicious. That was 7 years ago. USA.

I go to make my own fish and chips.
Frozen Cod in a bag is about as expensive as steak now. A luxury.
The seas really are being fished out of cod!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish sticks hit the spot for me once in awhile in a "flashback to childhood" sort of way.

I used to make fish sammiches out of the Gorton's fillets back in college because they were cheap, and it was a surprisingly tasty po-boy like experience. Best to actually fry them though, rather than bake.

Get a big italian roll, fry the fillets and then chop them up, scoop out some bread and fill with fish, add dill pickle slices, a little old bay, a splash of malt vinegar, maybe some olives. Not haute cuisine by a looooong shot, and not really a po boy proper either, but for a hungry college kid it was one of my favorite things, lol.

Back
Top Bottom