Greek Style Baked Cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This recipe uses some of those zucchini you have coming on in your garden:

Greek Style Baked Cod

Olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 pint (150ml) white wine
4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
8 oz (225g) courgettes, sliced (zucchini)
black olives - pitted and chopped (optional)
1 tbspn tomato puree
1 tspn marjoram
4 cod steaks

Oven Gas Mark 5, 375F or 190C

Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened.

Add the wine, tomatoes, courgettes, tomato puree (black olives if you're using them) and marjoram and simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened.

Place the cod steaks in a buttered ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over.

Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the cod is cooked.

Mmmmm....

Your recipe does look good. I have a very similar recipe from my Auntie Margie. Like your's, my aunt's recipe calls for a sauce to be made in which to bake the fish. Her sauce is made by saute-ing finely cut onions and garlic in a little butter. Add a tablespoon of flour, tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, tsp. dried mustard, salt & pepper, thyme. Stir in sliced fresh mushrooms & diced tomatoes. For this particular recipe, fresh mushrooms and tomatoes give it a lighter taste somehow. Simmer for a bit and pour over the fish & bake for 30 min. In a pinch, I've done the dish in the microwave for about 8 minutes on high. I made this the first time after having it at Auntie Margie's home. I had never had the nerve to make a fish dish, but this was so good, I asked for the recipe. I imagine a person could vary the sauce all sorts of ways. We made this recipe with Hake, which I don't often see in New Jersey. I've made it here with Tilapia (sp?) and it's come out nicely. -Sandyj

That sounds good too, Sandy. You can't go wrong with onions, garlic and mushrooms.
Actually, tillapia is what I have thawed for tonight. We've never tried it before, but we like all kinds of fish, and it was on sale for $3.69 a lb.

Back
Top Bottom