"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
thanks for the "hints & wrinkles" cw especially about the anchovies...there's an ikea on the way to bolas's that i go too.i'll check out the food section.
let you know how i get on
Here the can is labeled anchovies, but the ingredients list calls them sprats. Don't know if you can get them anywhere other than at IKEA. I know I can't. One of the few things I buy that comes in a can.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here the can is labeled anchovies, but the ingredients list calls them sprats. Don't know if you can get them anywhere other than at IKEA. I know I can't. One of the few things I buy that comes in a can.
okey dokey,thanks cw

Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have jars and tins of anchovies here
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Sous Chef

That looks DELICIOUS, but then again I imagine anything with lots of heavy cream and potatoes is bound to taste great amirite? I'm gonna tuck this recipe away for the next time I have some smoked mackerel lying about.

I made pommes dauphinoise once, but it was the basic layered potato slices just baked plain in the oven to use as a garnish. I'm surprised they stayed together and didn't turn out soggy or unevenly cooked--and I think it was just dumb luck as I've heard horror stories (as much horror as you can possibly get out of a failed pommes dauphinoise, anyway).

I wonder if a small amount of potato starch would do anything good for the dish if it were added to the liquid mixture as a slurry.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

If you like this, you most likely will also like the Norwegian Sailor Stew (oops--that is actually Swedish Pot Roast) thread/recipe. I have to drag the box back from the farm to confirm the recipe I posted. It is NOT Norwegian--my bad. No wonder my Norwegian friends, Norwegian cooking forum, Sons of Noway, and the Norwegian embassy contact couldn't find the recipe for me. Not that I didn't try!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
That looks DELICIOUS, but then again I imagine anything with lots of heavy cream and potatoes is bound to taste great amirite? I'm gonna tuck this recipe away for the next time I have some smoked mackerel lying about.

I made pommes dauphinoise once, but it was the basic layered potato slices just baked plain in the oven to use as a garnish. I'm surprised they stayed together and didn't turn out soggy or unevenly cooked--and I think it was just dumb luck as I've heard horror stories (as much horror as you can possibly get out of a failed pommes dauphinoise, anyway).

I wonder if a small amount of potato starch would do anything good for the dish if it were added to the liquid mixture as a slurry.
cheers mayo.as far as the potato starch goes i think it's the opposite.the trick with dauphinoise imo is to slice the spuds even thickness then rinse & rinse again to remove the starch then dry the spuds well.the starch will make the sauce lumpy & granular & if you don't dry the spuds it can make the sauce runny or worse still split.
one of the biggest debates over dauph is potato type.waxy? floury? peeled?unpeeled?.imo using unpeeled spuds brings nothing to the party & i have cooked it with loads of different varieties/types and i find non perform any better than another.....just select a tasty spud,slice,rinse,rinse,rinse again,dry & you can't go wrong!
enjoy mayo!!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
If you like this, you most likely will also like the Norwegian Sailor Stew (oops--that is actually Swedish Pot Roast) thread/recipe. I have to drag the box back from the farm to confirm the recipe I posted. It is NOT Norwegian--my bad. No wonder my Norwegian friends, Norwegian cooking forum, Sons of Noway, and the Norwegian embassy contact couldn't find the recipe for me. Not that I didn't try!
will give it a go soon !!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
will give it a go soon !!
It has anchoivies, cream, and brandy in it--what's not to like. I will be making this again come fall. I found the recipe in a friend's Swedish cookbook when I was house sitting in 2007. I made it once, and the pleasure of the different tastes has stayed with me since then. I moved to the farm and could not find the recipe until recently when going through the boxes in the spare room. BT said that the recipe reminds him of his mom's pot roast and he was going to run it by her. I think I'll run it by my Swedish friends once I move the box and unpack it to see if there is anything the recipe that is missing (the recipe posted was from memory after finding and reading the recipe again). I would think my Swedish friend who introduced me to Jannson's Temptation will also have his grandma's recipe for this.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
It has anchoivies, cream, and brandy in it--what's not to like. I will be making this again come fall. I found the recipe in a friend's Swedish cookbook when I was house sitting in 2007. I made it once, and the pleasure of the different tastes has stayed with me since then. I moved to the farm and could not find the recipe until recently when going through the boxes in the spare room. BT said that the recipe reminds him of his mom's pot roast and he was going to run it by her. I think I'll run it by my Swedish friends once I move the box and unpack it to see if there is anything the recipe that is missing (the recipe posted was from memory after finding and reading the recipe again). I would think my Swedish friend who introduced me to Jannson's Temptation will also have his grandma's recipe for this.
can't go wrong with spuds & cream cw....and,ooh la la brandy too!
right,no more food chat,i'm on pre op fast...having me shoulder op today so i'm starving & need to pack me overnight stuff.....see you in a coupla days cw!!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
can't go wrong with spuds & cream cw....and,ooh la la brandy too!
right,no more food chat,i'm on pre op fast...having me shoulder op today so i'm starving & need to pack me overnight stuff.....see you in a coupla days cw!!
Be well! Thinking of you as you undergo that.

Tags
potatoes, recipe, smoked mackerel

Harry's Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise potatoes dauphinoise or dauphinoise potatoes,whichever,is a dish like paella,bouillabaise,irish stew & lancashire hot pot to name but four:ermm:there are 1000's of variations,everyone claims to cook the authentic/original dish & nobody does,'cos nobody knows..every place i've eaten it in france has their own take on it....this is mine,which is a variation on a nigel slater recipe: HARRY'S SMOKED MACKEREL POTATOES DAUPHINOISE....pure comfort...this dish will put it's arms around you & give you a huge hug!i won't give precise measurements as they will vary depending on number of diners: 1)potatoes,the biggest debate in dauphinoise.i use maris piper,great allrounder boils,steams,mashes,roasts,bakes,fries & fab flavour....your choice. 2)double(heavy)cream & whole(4%)milk..3 parts cream to 2 parts milk 3)bay leaf...one is enough for up to 4 servings 4)wholegrain mustard...1 tbls is enough for 2-4 servings depending on how much you like mustard 5)1 tbls gruyere cheese-optional...i like it...your choice add it/leave it out 6)ground black pepper...percy pepper & mavis mackerel are lovers 7)smoked mackerel,skin removed,i like lots...i used cornish hickory smoked THE METHOD: a)peel & slice potatoes about the thickness of a shiny british pound b)rinse sliced spuds in several changes of water then pat dry...spuds MUST be dry c)lightly butter cooking dish d)mix milk,cream.mustard,pepper & cheese e)taste mackerel for saltiness...add if very mild...i didn't need salt tonight f)build up layers..spuds,mackerel,bay,spuds.mackerel,spuds g)pour milk mixture over spuds til level with top layer of spuds h)bake in pre heated oven,middle shelf @ 180c/350f until "knife point" tender 1-1.5hrs depending on quantity cooked i)allow to rest for 10-15mins this allows the spuds/cream etc to firm back up a bit & avoids third degree mouth burns leftovers(there won't be any trust me)are delish cold the next day with a crispy salad i serve mine with baby sweet romaine as in the pics & crusty bread,because if you don't have bread for the gooey juices you will lick the plate & that would never do,would it my fellow gastronauts...? 3 stars 1 reviews