Harry's Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm in love!

a potato-lover bordering on obsessiveness here (for potatoes that is)....this looks fan-tabulous! and love the way you presented the recipe here.

Thank you very much! will try this asap. I presume one can use other things than anchovies or smoked mackerel? Leftover roast chicken bits? beef?

Good luck with your surgery, will be waiting to hear you back safely healed here.

I think I'm in love!

a potato-lover bordering on obsessiveness here (for potatoes that is)....this looks fan-tabulous! and love the way you presented the recipe here.

Thank you very much! will try this asap. I presume one can use other things than anchovies or smoked mackerel? Leftover roast chicken bits? beef?

Good luck with your surgery, will be waiting to hear you back safely healed here.

Pickled herring. Leftover turkey...
thanks soma,i'm back,all went well but it'll be a few weeks before it's healed & i'm back to proper cooking.....sawbones "read me the riot act"!!
as cws said in her replies..anything that works with cream & spuds(and what doesn't)would work.just be careful that whatever you use doesn't have a high moisture content....it will either make the sauce runny or split it.that's why you have to dry your spuds(oooh errr missus!)very well.
get some good quality sausages,over here i'd buy cumberland which is very tasty & solid banger,split the casing & roll the sausage meat into medium sized balls & use them....spuds,cream,grain mustard,sausage meat....get where i'm going soma/cw....:yum:?!

Pickled herring is so very different from smoked. Vinegar-y...pickled-y. A little goes a long way?

Thanks Harry, and glad to hear you're up and healing well.....especially: well enough to continue coming into this forum and keeping us updated on all your magnificent cooking adventures.

re; my potatoes duaphinoise: The potatoes turned out nicely, but I'll try sausage next time. I haven't yet found a good local source for sausage meat, but I saw a sign at a local chip stand, some local person selling his homemade. A little scary, if it doesn't come with a large Seal of Approval by some inspection company.....no?

The potatoes turned out great, but DH didn't like the smoked herring....he doesn't much like anything "fishy tasting" and also "doesn't care for any meats that are heavy with smoke taste"....!!!? Who knew? I've been married to this man for 34 years and I'm finding out things I never knew about him......

like: he always wanted to own a "boat which you can sleep in" and to take it on a long vacation to cruise the canals and rivers we have here in Ontario Canada.

and surprise of surprises! he found one this July, which was affordable, and bought it!

We've been VERY busy learning boating since then. I still need to pass my boating test if I want to 'captain' it any time soon. DH took his test online, got his license in the mail. Perhaps, if anyone cares to hear, I'll write about our new boating adventures in the Off Topic section of this forum....?

Last edited:
re; my potatoes duaphinoise: The potatoes turned out nicely, but I'll try sausage next time. I haven't yet found a good local source for sausage meat, but I saw a sign at a local chip stand, some local person selling his homemade. A little scary, if it doesn't come with a large Seal of Approval by some inspection company.....no?

The potatoes turned out great, but DH didn't like the smoked herring....he doesn't much like anything "fishy tasting" and also "doesn't care for any meats that are heavy with smoke taste"....!!!?

We've been VERY busy learning boating since then. I still need to pass my boating test if I want to 'captain' it any time soon. DH took his test online, got his license in the mail. Perhaps, if anyone cares to hear, I'll write about our new boating adventures in the Off Topic section of this forum....?
glad the dauph worked,but i can understand your dh's view on the mackerel...not everyone is a fan of smoked fish or smoked anything for that matter.personally i love smoked everything...one of my favs is smoked mussels:yum:!now hold on a minute there soma....smoked mussels dauphinoise...oh boy!
would love to hear of your boating adventures....but i'll be jealous!!.my big bro' bolas & i love the water...canal boats,sea fishing trips etc etc & mrs bolas(madge)used to be an officer & maitre d' on one of the huge cruise ships.that's how she & bolas met...trés romantique!
personally,apart from shops/supermarkets/fishmongers/fishermen i will only buy food from accredited individual farm suppliers,farmers co-operatives or farmers markets.....someone selling home made via a chip stand sounds dodgy to me,could be completely wrong & the bangers could be the best in the world soma but,you never can tell....better safe than sorry where food is concerned
thanks for the kind wishes too soma,once me arm is working again i'll be back to cooking for real.til then i'm just posting recipes & photo's of food i've cooked in the past
enjoy the boat capt'n and keep us posted with your boating adventures....looking forward to reading them soma

Last edited:
I didn't know one could sell homemade sausage here in Ontario unless prepared in a commercial kitchen. McGuinty has regulated us to death, including the sale of home baked goods, I wouldn't have thought he missed sausage.

You can make your own if you have a meat grinder. Sausage is quite easy to make. You can take ground meat and add the spices as well.

Thanks, CWS....So...maybe this guy is inspected, regulated then....hopefully.

It never occurred to me to make my own sausage meat! DUH. where is that head-smacking emoticon? I have one in my files....but perhaps this one will have to do. It's called ermmmm:ermm:

I didn't know one could sell homemade sausage here in Ontario unless prepared in a commercial kitchen. McGuinty has regulated us to death, including the sale of home baked goods, I wouldn't have thought he missed sausage.

You can make your own if you have a meat grinder. Sausage is quite easy to make. You can take ground meat and add the spices as well.
same here cws...even the bags of peanuts over here have an allergy warning"this product contains nuts"....reckon THEY are nuts:wacko::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

That sounds like a British version of Jannson's Temptation.

Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I love Jansson's temptation and use the proper recipe. The most problematic thing here is to get the right anchovies. The normal salted brown ones won't do, or I don't think they do. Complete different taste to it when they are used. Ikea I believe has stopped doing them so now you have to go to a Scandinavian shop, if you can find one. Not so easy in the U.K.

I love Jansson's temptation and use the proper recipe. The most problematic thing here is to get the right anchovies. The normal salted brown ones won't do, or I don't think they do. Complete different taste to it when they are used. Ikea I believe has stopped doing them so now you have to go to a Scandinavian shop, if you can find one. Not so easy in the U.K.
ikea not selling them now acerb? doh!my son is driving over today & we are going in to manchester to see a film & have lunch(wagamama for a bowl of ramen & some gyoza:yum:).i'm going to check out selfridges food hall while we are in town....they may have them.

Hi Harry, I hope you see them when you are at Ikea and that the friend who was going to get them for me forgot and told a "porkie" (porkie meaning lie it comes from the East End of London Cockney rhyming slang, pork pie = lie). My nearest Ikea is quite a way from me for me to go to check.

If they don't do them and you are in London (or shop on line) this place has them, it is where I ended up getting mine. Welcome to Scandinavian Kitchen , Scandinavian Kitchen - Search Results for "anchovies"

I.m not sure if they will send them though as you know they have to be kept in the fridge.:ermm:

Hi Harry, I hope you see them when you are at Ikea and that the friend who was going to get them for me forgot and told a "porkie" (porkie meaning lie it comes from the East End of London Cockney rhyming slang, pork pie = lie). My nearest Ikea is quite a way from me for me to go to check.

If they don't do them and you are in London (or shop on line) this place has them, it is where I ended up getting mine. Welcome to Scandinavian Kitchen , Scandinavian Kitchen - Search Results for "anchovies"

I.m not sure if they will send them though as you know they have to be kept in the fridge.:ermm:
would you adam & eve it!'e's taking the mickey bliss!cheers me old china i'll put on a tidy whistle/peckham rye & get darn' the old apples & pears to the food hall....my dad was born & grew up in the east end acer:cool:!!
relieved he told porkie's about ikea...selfridges know how to charge me old mucker!!

Bolas is your brother, Harry? Really and truly -blood related?....you don't look alike at all. In your pic, I think of you as fair, English; whereas Bolas appears dark and swarthy, perhaps Greek or Spanish.....? (but I could be wrong of course). and it's also none of my business...but since you mention it.....

Last edited:
Bolas is your brother, Harry? Really and truly -blood related?....you don't look alike at all. In your pic, I think of you as fair, English; whereas Bolas appears dark and swarthy, perhaps Greek or Spanish.....? (but I could be wrong of course). and it's also none of my business...but since you mention it.....
fair?the hair is silver(at least it's still all there & all mine at 60!!) & i better top me tan up then:LOL:!!
bolas & i are real brother's...he's my big brother,two years older than me & we are very close too! so there ya go soma..another mystery solved matey!
oh,by the way soma,one last thing,we are welsh....don't mention the "english" word....old enemies & all that...croeso y cymru,Cymry byth yn esgor ar;)!

Back
Top Bottom