"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Harry's Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise

potatoes dauphinoise or dauphinoise potatoes,whichever,is a dish like paella,bouillabaise,irish stew & lancashire hot pot to name but fourthere are 1000's of variations,everyone claims to cook the authentic/original dish & nobody does,'cos nobody knows..every place i've eaten it in france has their own take on it....this is mine,which is a variation on a nigel slater recipe:
HARRY'S SMOKED MACKEREL POTATOES DAUPHINOISE....pure comfort...this dish will put it's arms around you & give you a huge hug!i won't give precise measurements as they will vary depending on number of diners:
1)potatoes,the biggest debate in dauphinoise.i use maris piper,great allrounder boils,steams,mashes,roasts,bakes,fries & fab flavour....your choice.
2)double(heavy)cream & whole(4%)milk..3 parts cream to 2 parts milk
3)bay leaf...one is enough for up to 4 servings
4)wholegrain mustard...1 tbls is enough for 2-4 servings depending on how much you like mustard
5)1 tbls gruyere cheese-optional...i like it...your choice add it/leave it out
6)ground black pepper...percy pepper & mavis mackerel are lovers
7)smoked mackerel,skin removed,i like lots...i used cornish hickory smoked
THE METHOD:
a)peel & slice potatoes about the thickness of a shiny british pound
b)rinse sliced spuds in several changes of water then pat dry...spuds MUST be dry
c)lightly butter cooking dish
d)mix milk,cream.mustard,pepper & cheese
e)taste mackerel for saltiness...add if very mild...i didn't need salt tonight
f)build up layers..spuds,mackerel,bay,spuds.mackerel,spuds
g)pour milk mixture over spuds til level with top layer of spuds
h)bake in pre heated oven,middle shelf @ 180c/350f until "knife point" tender 1-1.5hrs depending on quantity cooked
i)allow to rest for 10-15mins this allows the spuds/cream etc to firm back up a bit & avoids third degree mouth burns
leftovers(there won't be any trust me)are delish cold the next day with a crispy salad
i serve mine with baby sweet romaine as in the pics & crusty bread,because if you don't have bread for the gooey juices you will lick the plate & that would never do,would it my fellow gastronauts...?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 001.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	15172   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 002.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	15173  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 004.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15174   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 006.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	15175  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 007.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	15176   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 008.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	15177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 009.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	15178   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 010.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	15179  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 011.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	15180   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMOKED MACKEREL DAUPHINOISE 014.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	15181  

__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
p.s.don't be tempted to use semi or skimmed milk,the sauce will split & it's a once a month treat so forget calories/fat for once!!
if you are going to use cheese use gruyere.i've tried it with cheddar & a few other cheeses,they all seem to create a lot of oil.gruyere doesn't.comte or gruyere de comte to be precise is delicious & works well too.one swiss,one french,both very similar....your choice
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Wonderful instructions and photos, cheers H
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
potatoes dauphinoise or dauphinoise potatoes,whichever,is a dish like paella,bouillabaise,irish stew & lancashire hot pot to name but fourthere are 1000's of variations,everyone claims to cook the authentic/original dish & nobody does,'cos nobody knows..every place i've eaten it in france has their own take on it....this is mine,which is a variation on a nigel slater recipe:
HARRY'S SMOKED MACKEREL POTATOES DAUPHINOISE....pure comfort...this dish will put it's arms around you & give you a huge hug!i won't give precise measurements as they will vary depending on number of diners:
1)potatoes,the biggest debate in dauphinoise.i use maris piper,great allrounder boils,steams,mashes,roasts,bakes,fries & fab flavour....your choice.
2)double(heavy)cream & whole(4%)milk..3 parts cream to 2 parts milk
3)bay leaf...one is enough for up to 4 servings
4)wholegrain mustard...1 tbls is enough for 2-4 servings depending on how much you like mustard
5)1 tbls gruyere cheese-optional...i like it...your choice add it/leave it out
6)ground black pepper...percy pepper & mavis mackerel are lovers
7)smoked mackerel,skin removed,i like lots...i used cornish hickory smoked
THE METHOD:
a)peel & slice potatoes about the thickness of a shiny british pound
b)rinse sliced spuds in several changes of water then pat dry...spuds MUST be dry
c)lightly butter cooking dish
d)mix milk,cream.mustard,pepper & cheese
e)taste mackerel for saltiness...add if very mild...i didn't need salt tonight
f)build up layers..spuds,mackerel,bay,spuds.mackerel,spuds
g)pour milk mixture over spuds til level with top layer of spuds
h)bake in pre heated oven,middle shelf @ 180c/350f until "knife point" tender 1-1.5hrs depending on quantity cooked
i)allow to rest for 10-15mins this allows the spuds/cream etc to firm back up a bit & avoids third degree mouth burns
leftovers(there won't be any trust me)are delish cold the next day with a crispy salad
i serve mine with baby sweet romaine as in the pics & crusty bread,because if you don't have bread for the gooey juices you will lick the plate & that would never do,would it my fellow gastronauts...?
That sounds like a British version of Jannson's Temptation.

Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Dang, that sounds luscious! Both recipes!! Too bad I am low carbing.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That sounds like a British version of Jannson's Temptation.

Jansson's Temptation (Janssons Frestelse) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
omg cw,onions,spuds,anchovies & cream.... now you've done it.....that is gonna be cooked soon....thank you!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Wonderful instructions and photos, cheers H
thanks hun!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Dang, that sounds luscious! Both recipes!! Too bad I am low carbing.
oh no sparrow,not permanently? if not give it a go when you can
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
omg cw,onions,spuds,anchovies & cream.... now you've done it.....that is gonna be cooked soon....thank you!
You do want to use Swedish anchovies, not Italian or Spanish. Swedish ones are in a vinegar-sugar brine. I buy mine at IKEA. I imagine you could use fresh if you can get them--I can't.If you can't get the Swedish ones, rinse the others very well under hot water. You want to get rid of the salt and oil. I add about 2/3 of the cream first, cook at 450 for about 10 minutes, drop the heat, and add the rest of the cream. And yes, I always use cream. About 45 minutes later, I check and may add yet more cream.

I slice the potatoes in rounds (like you do), not matchsticks. I put a layer of potatoes, a layer of onions, dot with anchovies, another layer of potatoes, another layer of onions, more anchovies, and finish with a layer of potatoes. I generally use 2 cans of anchovies. Mine bake at 350 for about 50-60 minutes (this is after starting at 450 for 10 minutes). They are WONDERFUL the next day as well. One of my most favorite dishes. I don't put any bread crumbs on top, but I do dot with butter before I put it in the oven. Oh, and I often add about 3-4 garlic cloves (minced) to the onion layers. S&P to taste. I make a huge casserole every time I make this--and it is gone in 2 days (2 people). We love it. It is traditionally served on the hot table of a Swedish smorgasbord (sorry, can't find the diacritics TL!). Oh, I gotta go to IKEA and get anchovies--we have potatoes in the field and I know fresh potatoes would move this dish up a notch!

PS--this was always served as the dish after a night out the summer I spent in Stockholm. I am so glad a friend of mine introduced me to this...I've been making it for more than 30 years (before I could get Swedish anchovies--hence the rinsing trick).

You want the spuds tender, so you might need to increase or decrease the cooking time, depends on how thinly sliced the spuds are--I run them through the FP blade. I try and let them rest for about 10 minutes, but I'm usually having to banish a knife to keep s/one else from picking at the dish.

I "think" I cover it for the first 45-50 minutes, and remove the cover for the finish to "brown." My friend in Sweden made it in a 9 x 13 in. glass pyrex dish and didn't cover it, as I recall. I do mine in a fairly deep corningware casserole dish.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You do want to use Swedish anchovies, not Italian or Spanish. Swedish ones are in a vinegar-sugar brine. I buy mine at IKEA. I imagine you could use fresh if you can get them--I can't.If you can't get the Swedish ones, rinse the others very well under hot water. You want to get rid of the salt and oil. I add about 2/3 of the cream first, cook at 450 for about 10 minutes, drop the heat, and add the rest of the cream. And yes, I always use cream. About 45 minutes later, I check and may add yet more cream.

I slice the potatoes in rounds (like you do), not matchsticks. I put a layer of potatoes, a layer of onions, dot with anchovies, another layer of potatoes, another layer of onions, more anchovies, and finish with a layer of potatoes. I generally use 2 cans of anchovies. Mine bake at 350 for about 50-60 minutes (this is after starting at 450 for 10 minutes). They are WONDERFUL the next day as well. One of my most favorite dishes. I don't put any bread crumbs on top, but I do dot with butter before I put it in the oven. Oh, and I often add about 3-4 garlic cloves (minced) to the onion layers. S&P to taste. I make a huge casserole every time I make this--and it is gone in 2 days (2 people). We love it. It is traditionally served on the hot table of a Swedish smorgasbord (sorry, can't find the diacritics TL!). Oh, I gotta go to IKEA and get anchovies--we have potatoes in the field and I know fresh potatoes would move this dish up a notch!

PS--this was always served as the dish after a night out the summer I spent in Stockholm. I am so glad a friend of mine introduced me to this...I've been making it for more than 30 years (before I could get Swedish anchovies--hence the rinsing trick).

You want the spuds tender, so you might need to increase or decrease the cooking time, depends on how thinly sliced the spuds are--I run them through the FP blade. I try and let them rest for about 10 minutes, but I'm usually having to banish a knife to keep s/one else from picking at the dish.

I "think" I cover it for the first 45-50 minutes, and remove the cover for the finish to "brown." My friend in Sweden made it in a 9 x 13 in. glass pyrex dish and didn't cover it, as I recall. I do mine in a fairly deep corningware casserole dish.
thanks for the "hints & wrinkles" cw especially about the anchovies...there's an ikea on the way to bolas's that i go too.i'll check out the food section.
let you know how i get on
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
potatoes, recipe, smoked mackerel

Harry's Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise potatoes dauphinoise or dauphinoise potatoes,whichever,is a dish like paella,bouillabaise,irish stew & lancashire hot pot to name but four:ermm:there are 1000's of variations,everyone claims to cook the authentic/original dish & nobody does,'cos nobody knows..every place i've eaten it in france has their own take on it....this is mine,which is a variation on a nigel slater recipe: HARRY'S SMOKED MACKEREL POTATOES DAUPHINOISE....pure comfort...this dish will put it's arms around you & give you a huge hug!i won't give precise measurements as they will vary depending on number of diners: 1)potatoes,the biggest debate in dauphinoise.i use maris piper,great allrounder boils,steams,mashes,roasts,bakes,fries & fab flavour....your choice. 2)double(heavy)cream & whole(4%)milk..3 parts cream to 2 parts milk 3)bay leaf...one is enough for up to 4 servings 4)wholegrain mustard...1 tbls is enough for 2-4 servings depending on how much you like mustard 5)1 tbls gruyere cheese-optional...i like it...your choice add it/leave it out 6)ground black pepper...percy pepper & mavis mackerel are lovers 7)smoked mackerel,skin removed,i like lots...i used cornish hickory smoked THE METHOD: a)peel & slice potatoes about the thickness of a shiny british pound b)rinse sliced spuds in several changes of water then pat dry...spuds MUST be dry c)lightly butter cooking dish d)mix milk,cream.mustard,pepper & cheese e)taste mackerel for saltiness...add if very mild...i didn't need salt tonight f)build up layers..spuds,mackerel,bay,spuds.mackerel,spuds g)pour milk mixture over spuds til level with top layer of spuds h)bake in pre heated oven,middle shelf @ 180c/350f until "knife point" tender 1-1.5hrs depending on quantity cooked i)allow to rest for 10-15mins this allows the spuds/cream etc to firm back up a bit & avoids third degree mouth burns leftovers(there won't be any trust me)are delish cold the next day with a crispy salad i serve mine with baby sweet romaine as in the pics & crusty bread,because if you don't have bread for the gooey juices you will lick the plate & that would never do,would it my fellow gastronauts...? 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.