Help Me! I hate fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to mention Blackened Catfish in my original post, but forgot.

The cajun restaurant I used to work at, we would blacken literally anything on the menu. That I can remember, we did Catfish, Tuna, Halibut, Roughy, Tilapia (only sometimes), shrimp, softshell crabs, lobster tail, etc.

Here's a Trout recipe I have. One of these days, I'm going to try this.

Bacon and Sage Pan Fried Trout
Serves: 8

24 slices of bacon
3 T minced fresh sage leaves or 1 T dried, crumbled, + fresh sage springs for garnish
8 trout (about 10 oz each), cleaned and boned, leaving the head and tail intact
about 2 c yellow cornmeal for coating the trout
1/3 c olive oil
lemon wedges for garnish

In a large heavy skillet cook 8 of the bacon slices over moderate heat, turning them occasionally, until they are crisp, transfer them to paper towels to drain, and pour off the fat. Crumble the cooked bacon into a small bowl and stir in the minced sage. In the skillet cook the remaining 16 bacon slices in 2 batches until the bacon just becomes translucent and the edges begin to curl, transfer them to paper towels to drain, and pour off the fat. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Rinse the trout under cold water and pat them dry inside and out. Sprinkle the cavity of each trout with one eighth of the crumbled bacon mixture and salt and pepper to taste. Wrap 2 of the whole bacon slices around each trout, using wooden picks to secure the bacon and close the cavities. Mound the cornmeal on a sheet of wax paper and roll each trout in it, coating it completely and gently shaking off the excess. Heat the skillet over moderately high heat until it is hot, add the oil, and heat it until it is hot but not smoking. In the oil fry the trout, not touching each other, in batches for 3 minutes on each sides, or until they are just firm and the bacon is golden, transferring them as they are fried with long spatulas to a shallow baking pan. When all the trout has been fried, bake them for 5 minutes, or until they just flake and are heated through. Discard the wooden picks, arrange the trout carefully on a platter, and garnish them with the sage sprigs and the lemon wedges.

I have eight other trout recipes on my pc's HDD. Just ask, and I'll post them :)

Another one that I don't really have a recipe for, is Whole Stuffed Trout. Find a good seafood stuffing recipe, like a Cajun Crab stuffing, a shrimp stuffing, or anything else that you like. Make the stuffing, but don't fully cook it.

Preheat you oven to about 400 or 450°F. Take a whole trout, and season the skin with salt and pepper. Dredge it in flour. Preheat a large cast iron skillet and add a little clarified butter or rendered bacon grease. Lay the trout out, skin-side down. Place some of the stuffing on ONE side of the inside of the trout. Place the trout, skin-side down, into the skillet. Cook for a few minutes, until the skin is nice and crispy. Fold the other half of the trout over the stuffing, so that the trout looks like it would whole. Place the entire pan in the oven and cook until the stuffing is hot, and fish completely cooked. Remove, and serve.

I don't really have times or exact temperatures for this, as I'm flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants on this recipe. I haven't made anything like this since I worked at the cajun place, back in '98.

ciship, you don't like fish? I take that personally.. just kidding! :LOL: here is a good healthy recipe for crab cakes. And it's great served with roasted red pepper dressing. I know there is a recipe on here somewhere for that, so you might wanna do a search for it.

Crab Cakes:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
4 cups cornflakes

Whisk together the mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce, then gently stir in crabmeat. Chill, covered, 2 hours.

Pulse the cornflakes in a food processor until coarsely ground and put in a shallow dish.

Form one heaping teaspoon of crab mixture into a 1 1/2 inch-diameter cake (mixture will be very moist), then gently dredge in the cornflakes. Make more crab cakes in same manner, transferring them to buttered baking sheets. Chill, covered for at least 1 hour. (Unbaked crab cakes can chill up to 4 hours.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the crab cakes in batches in middle of oven until crisp and golden, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer with a spatula to a platter.

here is that roasted red pepper dressing I was telling you about ciship. That way you don't have to traipse around looking for it, in case you want it

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing:

7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste

In a blender or food processor puree the red peppers, cayenne, and vinegar until the mixture is smooth and with the motor running add the oil in a stream. Turn off the motor, scrape down the sides, and blend in the yogurt and salt/pepper to taste.

My mother had the hardest time trying to get us to eat fish as kids. She had the best luck with really fresh orange roughy and tilapia. Orange Roughe is very sweet, light, and flaky. For the orange roughy she would crush some Better Cheddar crackers, spray the fillets with Pam and then roll each fillet in the cheddar crackers. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. She was so proud of herself with this recipe. It was the first fish we ever ate and enjoyed. I still fix it today for the BF.

You can also soak the fillets in milk before hand. We do this all the time with fried catfish.

Oh that's just too simple and fabulous!!! Thank you for that recipe as well!! Your mom was smart.

Ok, here's another one from my files. Enjoy.

Crusty Corn Trout
Yields: 4 servings

4 cleaned and boned rainbow or brook trout
1/3 c flour
1 egg
1 T water
1 c yellow cornmeal
¼ c ground nuts (peanuts, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.)
1 t salt
¼ t cracked black pepper
¼ t paprika
¼ t ground cumin
Vegetable oil

Roll trout in flour. Beat egg with water. Mix cornmeal, ground nuts, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Dip floured trout into egg and then into cornmeal. Heat about 1” of oil in fry pan oven coals or medium heat. Cook trout, turning once, until both sides are brown, 5 minutes per side. Fish flakes when done.
Note: carry the cornmeal and flour in paper bags. Toss in the trout, shake, and it’s ready to fry.

Back
Top Bottom