Help me smoke trout.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i love smoked trout, and being a newbie at smoking i was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to properly smoke a few whole trout.

i have a small, gas smoker (the 36" perfect flame from lowes) , and chips and chunks of apple wood, hickory, and mesquite at my disposure.

time, temps, and seasoning help would be appreciated.

also, is smoking a salmon or steelhead filet much different than a whole fish?

I would think smoking a filet would be easier to smoke than a whole fish because the flesh is exposed to the smoke.

Alton Brown did a show on smoking salmon using a make-shift smoker on a fishing trip. As I remember it, there was a lot of good info aside from 'McGiver-ing' a smoker with odds and ends.

lol, andy. i remember how much he irritated you by making simple cooking things into rube goldbergs.

thanks, i'll go look for rube, er, alton. :chef:

BT just tried cedar planks for salmon the first time 2 days ago for my mom, and she raved about the flavor... Just a thought...

thanks, mimiz.

cedar planks are on my list for grilling, but i was thinking about smoking. you know, low and slow, lots of smoke making the little guy look kinda wrinkly and tasty.

thanks, mimiz.

cedar planks are on my list for grilling, but i was thinking about smoking. you know, low and slow, lots of smoke making the little guy look kinda wrinkly and tasty.

Kinda like, never mind, anyway I don't know much about smokin (on a grill :LOL:) I just tried those the other day and lots of smokey flavor said Mom, I don't eat salmon it's like veggies it will kill you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

...cedar planks are on my list for grilling...

While there is no harm in grilling cedar planks, I've found that attaching some salmon to them first is a better way to go. That way, you not only have the joy of burning wood, you have food to eat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom