"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Help, Quick! Herring Not Refrigerated.

We got one of those big jars of Vita herring in sour cream for christmas, but we never refrigerated it. It says right on the jar: "Keep refrigerated." So "duh." You know in the old days we would get this stuff right of grocery shelves and we didnt refrigerated it until we opened it. I think that is what we were thinking.

We had not opened the jar until day. It has Best by date of: "May 07".

But there are bubbles in it, and the gas has definitely been pushing the lid upward. The fish smells fine, though.

Is this a definite pitch the entire jar or: try a piece maybe okay?

I need to know soon, as I was planning to make that dish with the potatoes and the herring.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

pitch it.

If it were the brine only you might be able to get by, but with the sour cream, and the bubbles you describe tkae no chances. pitch it and buy some new.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

Definitely do NOT eat it. Not even a tiny piece. Just toss it. This is something that definitely is supposed to be refrigerated all the time - even before opening.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Throw it out. Throw it out. Throw it out. Don't even think about eating any of it!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Sous Chef

NO NO NO--out out out!!! Not even if it were pickled would I touch it.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Sous Chef

God I am so tempted to try a piece and see if I die....

BUt I wont it's a goner. Problem is when we got it for christmas it came just like that, not refrigerated. And since the last time I had this was years ago, I always remember it on store shelves as not refrigerated. I just assumed it was refrigerated after opening.

Did something change in the last 10 years here? I always remember this on shelves.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

I don't know what brand you're thinking of, but the Vita-brand herring was NEVER sold unrefrigerated. I've been buying it for well over 30 years now & both the regular "wine"-pickled & the sour cream types have ALWAYS been sold on the refrigerated shelves near the seafood department, or on the refrigerated shelves where the horseradish & packaged lunch meat is.

I've never ever seen this product sold unrefrigerated, even as a child - neither here in Virginia or in NY. In fact, I've never seen any brand of pickled herring sold unrefrigerated. Not in the last 10 years; not ever. You must be thinking of something else.

Store refrigerator space is premium space. If they could get away with selling something unrefrigerated, they would.

Just out of curiousity, you say you received it "unrefrigerated" for Christmas. Did you buy it mailorder; did it come as part of a gift basket? Perhaps whoever gave it to you assumed it wouldn't be unrefrigerated for very long & that you'd stick it in the fridge as soon as you received it.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
bulging lid = trash can for sure

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
wouldn't the buldging lid be the signs of Botulism?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
Sous Chef

No the lid was not bulging at all. It was after I opened it, of course I realized this was a problem, after I opened the gas pushed the herring upward about a half an inch.

I guess Breezy is right and I am remembering it wrong. The brand I'm thinking about is VITA, the brand name I mentioned in the original post. I know it always would up in the refrigerator in the old days but I just cant recall...

On the gift basket thing. Yeah it was sort of just, a present, you know wrapped in gift in wrap. I guess my in laws figured we'd eat it soon.

Tags
None