"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
Help with Gravlax

I am thinking about making gravlax, should I use fresh atlantic (farmed) salmon or frozen Alaskan Wild Salmon?

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Cook

By the time the marinade/rub has done it's work, I doubt it will matter much. I'd go with whatever is on sale that week.

Is it just me or does Gravlax sound like it should be a villain in a fifties sci-fi?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Marinades seem to work better on unfrozen meats.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Personally I'd go with the frozen Alaskan Wild - thawed first, of course. It's ultimately safer in the long run for any seafood that's going to be used in a raw or semi-raw preparation (gravlax, ceviche, sushi, etc.) to have been frozen for 24-48 hours first.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Senior Cook

it isn't really raw after salting ,sort of chemically cooked ,like scallop in lemon juice , unheated but still cooked, use the atlantic if it is on sale -" alaska wild " doesn't tell you the species . Alaska has the same salmon as in BC -we get pink, sockeye ,coho ,spring, chum. Atlantic is very like spring, not as good for gravlax as coho or sockeye,be sure to use fresh dill and I find it useful to wrap a couple bricks in tinfoil to apply weight after wrapping in cling wrap.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Breezy is right. We always used premium quality fish and if it was fresh we froze it 48 hours before using. Then we thawed it and started the salting process. The freezing kills parasites and certain bacteria on fish. The salting process (like ceviche which is the citrus juice method) "cures" the salmon more than cooking it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
it isn't really raw after salting ,sort of chemically cooked ,like scallop in lemon juice , unheated but still cooked, use the atlantic if it is on sale -" alaska wild " doesn't tell you the species . Alaska has the same salmon as in BC -we get pink, sockeye ,coho ,spring, chum. Atlantic is very like spring, not as good for gravlax as coho or sockeye,be sure to use fresh dill and I find it useful to wrap a couple bricks in tinfoil to apply weight after wrapping in cling wrap.
My issue wasn't with the species (although I always avoid farmed salmon), it was with the fact that the Atlantic farmed was "fresh", while the Alaskan wild was "frozen". If the reverse had been true, I would have either gone with the farmed, or suggested that the OP freeze the Alaskan for 48 hours & then thaw it (after checking that it was in fact truly fresh & hadn't been frozen & thawed by the market). Regardless of the fact that the fish is chemically cooked or cured, that process does not automatically kill any parasites that might be present.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Dry salting fish/curing in a salt brine, for 5-7 days before pickling, will kill of nematodes and tapeworms. Also, some home freezers don't get cold enough, like a commercial freezer would, to kill things off sufficiently. . .

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends using fish frozen commercially for 7 days at -10F or 15 hours at -31F for raw fish dishes.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Dry salting fish/curing in a salt brine, for 5-7 days before pickling, will kill of nematodes and tapeworms. Also, some home freezers don't get cold enough, like a commercial freezer would, to kill things off sufficiently. . .

But how could you make gravlax (or any other raw preparation for that matter) with fish that had been dry-salted or salt-brined for 5-7 days?

I'll stick to freezing if I need to. My freezer is always at zero or below, & even if it's not up to "commercial" standards, I'd still feel safer using it than not.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Gravlax is fish cured with a salt/sugar combo with dill, etc. It's wrapped in plastic, pressed and refrigerated for days.

Tags
None