"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Cook

Horrible tuna and nice tuna

Ok Tuna is a great food. Its cheap, High in protein and low in everything else. It can also taste great. However. Sometimes it can taste horrible.

For expample about two weeks ago I had some tuna pasta. It tasted great, I ate every single bit of it. But I also had some of it last week and today. And it tasted horrible. It was the same kind of tuna by the same maker, and yet both times it had this horrible sour taste. I couldn't stand it and ended up chucking half of it away. Is it just me or have anybody else expirienced this. Any tips on getting only nice tuna?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx26
Ok Tuna is a great food. Its cheap,
OK this really threw me for a loop until I realized you were probably talking about canned tuna and not fresh tuna

Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
OK this really threw me for a loop until I realized you were probably talking about canned tuna and not fresh tuna
Yes I know its not the most exciting food in the world. However I thought this was the best place to ask about this.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I thought this was the best place to ask about this.
i sure is the best place to ask! I know someone will come along with a better answer than what I have for you. I have not bought canned tuna in a very long time, but I would have to say that your best bet is to buy from someplace that is busy so the cans are not sitting on the shelves forever. Short of that, if you get a can that tastes bad then bring it back to the store and let them know.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ok Tuna is a great food. Its cheap, High in protein and low in everything else. It can also taste great. However. Sometimes it can taste horrible.

For expample about two weeks ago I had some tuna pasta. It tasted great, I ate every single bit of it. But I also had some of it last week and today. And it tasted horrible. It was the same kind of tuna by the same maker, and yet both times it had this horrible sour taste. I couldn't stand it and ended up chucking half of it away. Is it just me or have anybody else expirienced this. Any tips on getting only nice tuna?
From your post, I have a couple of questions that wasn't made clear:

1. Was the pasta from the same batch? You don't say if you cooked a new batch every time or if you just ate the leftovers throughout the two week period.

2. If you did cook new batches each time, did you use the exact same recipe in the same proportions?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
From your post, I have a couple of questions that wasn't made clear:

1. Was the pasta from the same batch? You don't say if you cooked a new batch every time or if you just ate the leftovers throughout the two week period.

2. If you did cook new batches each time, did you use the exact same recipe in the same proportions?
Heh, ofcourse it was new batch. and yes the recipe and proportions were the same
Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Heh, ofcourse it was new batch. and yes the recipe and proportions were the same
With some people who post on here, you never know. Seriously.

Did you use different brands of tuna? Was it albacore tuna?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I say the Albacore is the best but a bit more costly but worth it.You should try and get the tuna stocked behind and back from the tuna at the front of the shelf as the stockers are supposed to rotate older up front and newer to the back.Check it out on lunch meats,dairy and so on I hafto get the freshest as I dont go to town but twice a month involving 145 miles round trip.
It's worth it to check the stuff in the back of shelves
Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
Everymom

Did you use the water packed or the oil packed? I find the water packed has a nicer flavour. I wonder if that might have had something to do with the flavour "turning"?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Uh-oh. I have cans of tuna and salmon in the pantry from I can't remember when. (The Y2K, maybe? j/k) Thought they would last indefinitely. Should I toss 'em?

Has anyone tried the pouch, btw?

Tags
None