"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm lazy, I get the bag of slaw from the store...then mayo with Chipotle Tabasco added and some lime for tart!

Making from scratch...1/2 cup mayo, 2 tsp chopped chipotle in adobo, salt to taste and 1 tsp lime juice. Allow to mellow in fridge for a couple of hours and test for heat. Add more chipotle if you want.
Nothin wrong with lazy....it's one of my favorite modes of life...

Thanks! I've never eaten spicy slaw, except for kimche of course...

Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Half Baked

Any fish will work including fish sticks.Yes they are quite yummy in a taco! Rockfish is probably my favorite though.

Most of the ones around here use cabbage instead of lettuce and have a little sliced radish in them too. I also like a little avacado in mine.

I always make a different sauce it seems but mainly mayo based with some heat added. I like mine on the thinner side so I cut it with milk.

I prefer corn tortillas for fish tacos but flour or pita or the thick puffy mexican shells work too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Master Chef

The first time I had a fish taco, a friend who lives in San Diego (was visiting me in Florida) made them as a take-off of Rueben's. She used fish sticks, which is basically what Ruebens did in those days (yes, we visited her and did go there). It was shredded cabbage instead of the lettuce you usually expect in a taco, and a sort of ranch type dressing along with salsa.

Nowadays, in the interest of health, I buy a fish filet, slice it with onion and peppers, cumin, and sautee. Some shredded cabbage, if tomatoes are good, some chopped with cilantro, and sauce of your choice.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfryerdan View Post
I've never had them and I almost tried them yesterday but the menu had them listed as "tacos with white fish" rather than telling me what the fish actually was. So, what is white fish?

Furthermore, how do you guys do your fish tacos? I'd really like to try it but I have "zero to none" in the cooking fish department. Where do I start?
I actually shop my stupid grocery stores for "white fish," noting which labels are criminally catfish and which fill me with superior glee for mistaking sea bass at $5. Depends on your local, but grocery and restaurant white fish is usually a perch or cod. Ask the monger or waitress. If the answer smells, well, the saying for fish goes...

I deep fry in batters if the wrap is soft, grill plain if the taco is hard shell. Shredded cabbage, lemon juice, Selkie's white sauce, pickled jalapeno.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Wow. Way bigger response than I expected. I think I might need to check outwith my grocer on what fish is fresh ( I live in the midwest - most fish here is not fresh). Then I think I'll try the salt, lemon, and EVOO for a couple and onion, peppers, and cumin for some others. I think that's a good start.

Hopefully, I can do this soon but I'm a little backed up on other recipes that I need to try. Thanks for the ideas but keep 'em coming!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
Master Chef

Hail fellow midwesterner! If you want to stay away from the breaded fish filets & sticks (both of which I've had in fish tacos), IQF tilapia and perch filets make excellent fish tacos. If I can get them in Galena (pop 3500), then you can find them in Indianapolis. I let them thaw, then slice along with an onion and a pepper, some cumin and some hot pepper (dry or fresh) to taste. Shredded cabbage, a ranch-type dressing, some salsa, and you're good to go. Corn or flour tortillas (I like yellow corn).

Yeah, you'll find that here on DC a question can get you dozens, if not hundreds, of answers. It's fun.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Was it "white fish" or "whitefish"? Do you know if it was fresh water fish or ocean fish? In the lakes of the midwest, and especially the great lakes around MI there is a type of fish that is just called whitefish, so it may have been that. It's a subfamily of the same family of fish that includes salmon and trout. It's fairly mild and very popular in the UP of MI for friday night fish fries.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I prefer mine with either Cobia, or Mahi. Dredged in flour, fried.

Soft flour tortilla on a flat top, a little shredded cheese

Chop fried fish, place on tortilla

Top with Pico de Gillo, finely shredded cabbage, and a little "Baja sauce"(ranch with cumin, guacamole,and chili powder).

Squeeze of fresh lime.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I prefer mine with either Cobia, or Mahi. Dredged in flour, fried.

Soft flour tortilla on a flat top, a little shredded cheese

Chop fried fish, place on tortilla

Top with Pico de Gillo, finely shredded cabbage, and a little "Baja sauce"(ranch with cumin, guacamole,and chili powder).

Squeeze of fresh lime.
Oh, that sounds good.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I admit I don't make fish tacos. However, for exceptionally excellent fish tacos go to the beach that is south of Los Mochis in the state of Sinaloa, Mexico. After parking your car, go to the restaurant that is on the beach at the end of the main road. Order steamed fish tacos. I really did eat more than my share when I went with a group because they were soooo good.

Tags
fish