"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #31
Executive Chef

oh noooo! you never want to go to Wally World after midnight........but then it might spoil your appetite.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #32
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Halibut Cheeks are the best Fish Taco filler.

OMG! I am not sure I would use the Holy Grail for tacos but I am with you on the ultimate fish favorite.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
oh noooo! you never want to go to Wally World after midnight........but then it might spoil your appetite.
Wally World has no fish I would want to buy anyway. And it's no fun shopping in the middle of the night anymore since Shrek retired.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
OMG! I am not sure I would use the Holy Grail for tacos but I am with you on the ultimate fish favorite.
I didn't realize what I had bought at the time, they were on sale and I was going to be making my first batch of fish tacos. Besides, I like saying Halibut Cheeks....
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

we've had fish tacos in restaurants made of mahi mahi, swordfish, grouper, and cod. all were very good, usually served in a soft tortilla.

most had a type of pico de gallo and fresh cilantro on them. others just had tomato, lettuce, and onion on them with a mayo like sauce.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
Master Chef

Just a little history lesson for you. Tacos include what we call tostadas, burritos, and tacos. The original taco was made by the Aztecs, as recorded by Cortez. They were made by rolling a cleaned and cooked fish in a soft, corn tortilla, and eaten. My favorite modern taco consists of a soft corn tortilla that has been softened in hot oil for 20 seconds or so, then folded around whatever filling I decide to use.

In answer to the ops question - "What is white fish?", well that would depend on where you live. In the Great lakes region, if you say white fish, it will mean a highly popular and mild species of fish called Whitefish. From the oceans, white fish generally includes fish with a firm, white flesh that is usually a bit sweet, such as cod, ling cod, halibut, pollok, etc. Ocean perch also fall into this category. Personally, I prefer the rich flavor of sallmon and trout, swordfish, mackeral, fresh tuna, etc. I rarely eat them though because of the outrageous prices and the fact that swordfish have been badly over-harvested and are full of contaminants, as are albacore tuna. Cod are also a species that is in danger due to over harvesting, and so i don't purchase cod either, though it tastes so very good.

Do a little research into tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. What you find will change how you think about these commonplace Mexican and South American foods. And then, you will be able to explore whole new taste sensations.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I didn't realize what I had bought at the time, they were on sale and I was going to be making my first batch of fish tacos. Besides, I like saying Halibut Cheeks....
Now I have a mental image of fish on roller skates doing the rump-shaker to a heavy bass line.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Now I have a mental image of fish on roller skates doing the rump-shaker to a heavy bass line.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Walleye cheeks will NEVER make it into a fish taco if my dad is around. Although I'm now in MN (and have more work on my plate than I'd like--besides my usual work with the folks in Poland, I have three "gigs" due the end of August--YIKES!). BUT, I do have the cabin and am hoping Verizon's MyFi works there--my dad has his fishing license and the boat ready--my cousin (who also moonlights as a guide when he's not teaching high school) is coming up to take us out (my dad knows the lake, but my cousin knows it better and has a bigger boat <g>). I'm even buying an "out-of-state" license so we can catch more walleye...Walleye cheek tacos...ummm...I want to deep-fry the little nuggets...
Old 07-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Walleye cheeks will NEVER make it into a fish taco if my dad is around. Although I'm now in MN (and have more work on my plate than I'd like--besides my usual work with the folks in Poland, I have three "gigs" due the end of August--YIKES!). BUT, I do have the cabin and am hoping Verizon's MyFi works there--my dad has his fishing license and the boat ready--my cousin (who also moonlights as a guide when he's not teaching high school) is coming up to take us out (my dad knows the lake, but my cousin knows it better and has a bigger boat <g>). I'm even buying an "out-of-state" license so we can catch more walleye...Walleye cheek tacos...ummm...I want to deep-fry the little nuggets...
Don't forget us poor souls who aren't living on a lake...hmmm, chicken and eggs left all alone...

Tags
fish