How about fish tacos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepfryerdan

Senior Cook
I've never had them and I almost tried them yesterday but the menu had them listed as "tacos with white fish" rather than telling me what the fish actually was. So, what is white fish?

Furthermore, how do you guys do your fish tacos? I'd really like to try it but I have "zero to none" in the cooking fish department. Where do I start? :)

I've never had them and I almost tried them yesterday but the menu had them listed as "tacos with white fish" rather than telling me what the fish actually was. So, what is white fish?

Furthermore, how do you guys do your fish tacos? I'd really like to try it but I have "zero to none" in the cooking fish department. Where do I start? :)

I'm looking forward to the replies in this thread. I've also never eaten a fish taco. I love fish, but have just never eaten it in that manner.

I'm going to learn about them now!

I love fish tacos and fish wraps. And I have been using that white taco sauce recipe that Selkie posted here a couple times. What I do is cut the filet up (I use snapper a lot), toss it with some seasoning and then add the pieces to some hot EVOO to sauté.
If I am going for tacos (I prefer hard tacos) I use a southwest or Mexican seasoning and the usual fillings, crisp lettuce, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sweet onions. If I am doing wraps I usually go with a Greek seasoning and add romaine or spinach, cucumber, roasted red peppers and feta. Some salad dressings are nice sauces for tacos and wraps, too.

I'm going to be making walleye tacos while in MN. I am also going to be experimenting with walleye-wild rice cakes. I make my own taco shells--Pcanis--do you prefer soft corn tortillas or flour or do you buy flavored wraps--and if so--favorite for fish? I probably will make a lemon-dill-cilantro sauce...haven't decided yet and will bring a jar of my homemade salsa verde...I'll be cutting and pasting recipes/ideas in this thread to put on my memory stick! Perfect timing.

CW, for wraps I prefer flour tortillas, burrito size. I keep some smaller corn tortillas on hand for the grilled shrimp enchiladas I make now and again though. Tacos it's Old El Paso super stuffer hard shells for me.
The only thing I can ever find flavored around here is pita bread. I would love to try some spinach tortillas just to see, but none of the stores I go to have them.

They would be easy to make (spinach). My mom can't eat spinach because of meds she's on, but I've been meaning to make swiss chard wraps...might still do some when I'm there...I'm surprised no-one has the "seasoned" wraps there--even in the little village grocery store near the farm they carry some.

I use halibut, sole...whatever is priced lower. Bake with a little salt, lemon and EVOO. I like soft tacos, so flour tortillas, warmed. Fish, sour cream mixed with cilantro and lime, and a chipotle coleslaw. Then I eat way too many.

I do Tex-Mex and Asian. I prefer the Asian. Just mix some mayo and sour cream with some hoisin sauce which I spread on soft corn tacos. Cut the fish into small bite size pieces, add just a bit of 5 spice to some flour. Coat the pieces in the flour, then egg and then panko. Deep fry or skillet fry and serve with some cilantro, lettuce and kimchi

You wouldn't have the recipe for that chipotle slaw wouldja? :chef:
I'm lazy, I get the bag of slaw from the store...then mayo with Chipotle Tabasco added and some lime for tart!

Making from scratch...1/2 cup mayo, 2 tsp chopped chipotle in adobo, salt to taste and 1 tsp lime juice. Allow to mellow in fridge for a couple of hours and test for heat. Add more chipotle if you want.

I'm lazy, I get the bag of slaw from the store...then mayo with Chipotle Tabasco added and some lime for tart!

Making from scratch...1/2 cup mayo, 2 tsp chopped chipotle in adobo, salt to taste and 1 tsp lime juice. Allow to mellow in fridge for a couple of hours and test for heat. Add more chipotle if you want.

Nothin wrong with lazy....it's one of my favorite modes of life... :LOL:

Thanks! I've never eaten spicy slaw, except for kimche of course... :pig:

Any fish will work including fish sticks.Yes they are quite yummy in a taco! Rockfish is probably my favorite though.

Most of the ones around here use cabbage instead of lettuce and have a little sliced radish in them too. I also like a little avacado in mine.

I always make a different sauce it seems but mainly mayo based with some heat added. I like mine on the thinner side so I cut it with milk.

I prefer corn tortillas for fish tacos but flour or pita or the thick puffy mexican shells work too.

The first time I had a fish taco, a friend who lives in San Diego (was visiting me in Florida) made them as a take-off of Rueben's. She used fish sticks, which is basically what Ruebens did in those days (yes, we visited her and did go there). It was shredded cabbage instead of the lettuce you usually expect in a taco, and a sort of ranch type dressing along with salsa.

Nowadays, in the interest of health, I buy a fish filet, slice it with onion and peppers, cumin, and sautee. Some shredded cabbage, if tomatoes are good, some chopped with cilantro, and sauce of your choice.

I actually shop my stupid grocery stores for "white fish," noting which labels are criminally catfish and which fill me with superior glee for mistaking sea bass at $5. Depends on your local, but grocery and restaurant white fish is usually a perch or cod. Ask the monger or waitress. If the answer smells, well, the saying for fish goes...

I deep fry in batters if the wrap is soft, grill plain if the taco is hard shell. Shredded cabbage, lemon juice, Selkie's white sauce, pickled jalapeno.

Wow. Way bigger response than I expected. I think I might need to check outwith my grocer on what fish is fresh ( I live in the midwest - most fish here is not fresh). Then I think I'll try the salt, lemon, and EVOO for a couple and onion, peppers, and cumin for some others. I think that's a good start.

Hopefully, I can do this soon but I'm a little backed up on other recipes that I need to try. Thanks for the ideas but keep 'em coming!

Hail fellow midwesterner! If you want to stay away from the breaded fish filets & sticks (both of which I've had in fish tacos), IQF tilapia and perch filets make excellent fish tacos. If I can get them in Galena (pop 3500), then you can find them in Indianapolis. I let them thaw, then slice along with an onion and a pepper, some cumin and some hot pepper (dry or fresh) to taste. Shredded cabbage, a ranch-type dressing, some salsa, and you're good to go. Corn or flour tortillas (I like yellow corn).

Yeah, you'll find that here on DC a question can get you dozens, if not hundreds, of answers. It's fun.

Was it "white fish" or "whitefish"? Do you know if it was fresh water fish or ocean fish? In the lakes of the midwest, and especially the great lakes around MI there is a type of fish that is just called whitefish, so it may have been that. It's a subfamily of the same family of fish that includes salmon and trout. It's fairly mild and very popular in the UP of MI for friday night fish fries.

I prefer mine with either Cobia, or Mahi. Dredged in flour, fried.

Soft flour tortilla on a flat top, a little shredded cheese

Chop fried fish, place on tortilla

Top with Pico de Gillo, finely shredded cabbage, and a little "Baja sauce"(ranch with cumin, guacamole,and chili powder).

Squeeze of fresh lime.

TATTRAT said:
I prefer mine with either Cobia, or Mahi. Dredged in flour, fried.

Soft flour tortilla on a flat top, a little shredded cheese

Chop fried fish, place on tortilla

Top with Pico de Gillo, finely shredded cabbage, and a little "Baja sauce"(ranch with cumin, guacamole,and chili powder).

Squeeze of fresh lime.

Oh, that sounds good.

I admit I don't make fish tacos. However, for exceptionally excellent fish tacos go to the beach that is south of Los Mochis in the state of Sinaloa, Mexico. After parking your car, go to the restaurant that is on the beach at the end of the main road. Order steamed fish tacos. I really did eat more than my share when I went with a group because they were soooo good.

Back
Top Bottom