How about fish tacos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My fish tacos are all cheat city, but we love them anyway.

First off, I use hard-shell taco shells. Sorry, but I love them. Like the soft ones too, but the hard-shells are my favorite. (Please don't faint you hard-core authenticists - lol!).

I've made fish tacos with both catfish "nuggets", & Mahi-Mahi filets - simply sauteed with tweaked taco seasonings. Toppings are the usual - salsa, lettuce, chopped tomato, onion, etc. (not a fan of cabbage on tacos).

And - be still my beating heart & putting on my flame suit - lol!! - we've also had a really fun "back to childhood" sort of dinner putting cooked Gorton's fish sticks into hard-shell tacos with all the toppings. Fun & delicious. Would definitely be a kid-pleaser or those who sometimes are kids at heart.

My first fish taco was in a fast food place here in Missoula. I decided I could make them so much better...and I do:)

Was it "white fish" or "whitefish"? Do you know if it was fresh water fish or ocean fish? In the lakes of the midwest, and especially the great lakes around MI there is a type of fish that is just called whitefish, so it may have been that. It's a subfamily of the same family of fish that includes salmon and trout. It's fairly mild and very popular in the UP of MI for friday night fish fries.

We were traveling and were in Tennessee when I saw that on the menu so I doubt that it was the "whitefish" that you mentioned.. but I could be wrong.

I used to eat baked whitefish every Friday during lent when I was a kid. It's a great fish. Not too mild, not too strong. I had no idea where or how it was purchased by my mother, I remember it not being frozen and her looking for bones, but I don't see it offered when I do my shopping today.

Whitefish is reaaalllyy common around my town. It's not too bad, very subtle in the flavor department. I like tilapia in my fish tacos.. mmm

When I used to go ice fishing in Canada we were told that white fish was considered a garbage fish up there. We never ran into many of them, but we were hoping that we did.

My first fish taco was from the Baja Mexico town Loreto. I've been hooked on them since. I've made several failed attempts, but am still sure, that there's a great canned tuna taco recipe out there somewhere.

We usually have fish tacos for a quick meal, so I quite often use frozen breaded, fish from Costco, I think the first time I bought it, it was halibut, another time it might have been "mystery fish" lol! I like the breaded fish, because I like the "crunch" but I am sure that any boneless fish grilled or panfried would be delicious too. I make a "mexican coleslaw"(cabbage, onion and the dreaded "cilantro"):devilish: using sour cream or mexican crema, some sugar or honey and lime juice for a dressing. I use warm flour tortillias and spoon the slaw over the fish, top with grated cheese or crumbled mexican cheese. Sometimes I add avocado. Simple, but delicious. :bunny:

We usually have fish tacos for a quick meal, so I quite often use frozen breaded, fish from Costco, I think the first time I bought it, it was halibut, another time it might have been "mystery fish" lol! I like the breaded fish, because I like the "crunch" but I am sure that any boneless fish grilled or panfried would be delicious too. I make a "mexican coleslaw"(cabbage, onion and the dreaded "cilantro"):devilish: using sour cream or mexican crema, some sugar or honey and lime juice for a dressing. I use warm flour tortillias and spoon the slaw over the fish, top with grated cheese or crumbled mexican cheese. Sometimes I add avocado. Simple, but delicious. :bunny:

Stop, or I will have to do a midnight run and the only place open is Wally-World...

oh noooo! you never want to go to Wally World after midnight........but then it might spoil your appetite. :ROFLMAO:

Wally World has no fish I would want to buy anyway. And it's no fun shopping in the middle of the night anymore since Shrek retired.

OMG! I am not sure I would use the Holy Grail for tacos but I am with you on the ultimate fish favorite.

I didn't realize what I had bought at the time, they were on sale and I was going to be making my first batch of fish tacos. Besides, I like saying Halibut Cheeks....

we've had fish tacos in restaurants made of mahi mahi, swordfish, grouper, and cod. all were very good, usually served in a soft tortilla.

most had a type of pico de gallo and fresh cilantro on them. others just had tomato, lettuce, and onion on them with a mayo like sauce.

Just a little history lesson for you. Tacos include what we call tostadas, burritos, and tacos. The original taco was made by the Aztecs, as recorded by Cortez. They were made by rolling a cleaned and cooked fish in a soft, corn tortilla, and eaten. My favorite modern taco consists of a soft corn tortilla that has been softened in hot oil for 20 seconds or so, then folded around whatever filling I decide to use.

In answer to the ops question - "What is white fish?", well that would depend on where you live. In the Great lakes region, if you say white fish, it will mean a highly popular and mild species of fish called Whitefish. From the oceans, white fish generally includes fish with a firm, white flesh that is usually a bit sweet, such as cod, ling cod, halibut, pollok, etc. Ocean perch also fall into this category. Personally, I prefer the rich flavor of sallmon and trout, swordfish, mackeral, fresh tuna, etc. I rarely eat them though because of the outrageous prices and the fact that swordfish have been badly over-harvested and are full of contaminants, as are albacore tuna. Cod are also a species that is in danger due to over harvesting, and so i don't purchase cod either, though it tastes so very good.

Do a little research into tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. What you find will change how you think about these commonplace Mexican and South American foods. And then, you will be able to explore whole new taste sensations.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

PrincessFiona60 said:
I didn't realize what I had bought at the time, they were on sale and I was going to be making my first batch of fish tacos. Besides, I like saying Halibut Cheeks....

Now I have a mental image of fish on roller skates doing the rump-shaker to a heavy bass line.

Walleye cheeks will NEVER make it into a fish taco if my dad is around. Although I'm now in MN (and have more work on my plate than I'd like--besides my usual work with the folks in Poland, I have three "gigs" due the end of August--YIKES!). BUT, I do have the cabin and am hoping Verizon's MyFi works there--my dad has his fishing license and the boat ready--my cousin (who also moonlights as a guide when he's not teaching high school) is coming up to take us out (my dad knows the lake, but my cousin knows it better and has a bigger boat <g>). I'm even buying an "out-of-state" license so we can catch more walleye...Walleye cheek tacos...ummm...I want to deep-fry the little nuggets...

Walleye cheeks will NEVER make it into a fish taco if my dad is around. Although I'm now in MN (and have more work on my plate than I'd like--besides my usual work with the folks in Poland, I have three "gigs" due the end of August--YIKES!). BUT, I do have the cabin and am hoping Verizon's MyFi works there--my dad has his fishing license and the boat ready--my cousin (who also moonlights as a guide when he's not teaching high school) is coming up to take us out (my dad knows the lake, but my cousin knows it better and has a bigger boat <g>). I'm even buying an "out-of-state" license so we can catch more walleye...Walleye cheek tacos...ummm...I want to deep-fry the little nuggets...

Don't forget us poor souls who aren't living on a lake...hmmm, chicken and eggs left all alone...

Back
Top Bottom