"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How about fish tacos?

I've never had them and I almost tried them yesterday but the menu had them listed as "tacos with white fish" rather than telling me what the fish actually was. So, what is white fish?

Furthermore, how do you guys do your fish tacos? I'd really like to try it but I have "zero to none" in the cooking fish department. Where do I start?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfryerdan View Post
I've never had them and I almost tried them yesterday but the menu had them listed as "tacos with white fish" rather than telling me what the fish actually was. So, what is white fish?

Furthermore, how do you guys do your fish tacos? I'd really like to try it but I have "zero to none" in the cooking fish department. Where do I start?
I'm looking forward to the replies in this thread. I've also never eaten a fish taco. I love fish, but have just never eaten it in that manner.

I'm going to learn about them now!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I love fish tacos and fish wraps. And I have been using that white taco sauce recipe that Selkie posted here a couple times. What I do is cut the filet up (I use snapper a lot), toss it with some seasoning and then add the pieces to some hot EVOO to sauté.
If I am going for tacos (I prefer hard tacos) I use a southwest or Mexican seasoning and the usual fillings, crisp lettuce, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sweet onions. If I am doing wraps I usually go with a Greek seasoning and add romaine or spinach, cucumber, roasted red peppers and feta. Some salad dressings are nice sauces for tacos and wraps, too.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm going to be making walleye tacos while in MN. I am also going to be experimenting with walleye-wild rice cakes. I make my own taco shells--Pcanis--do you prefer soft corn tortillas or flour or do you buy flavored wraps--and if so--favorite for fish? I probably will make a lemon-dill-cilantro sauce...haven't decided yet and will bring a jar of my homemade salsa verde...I'll be cutting and pasting recipes/ideas in this thread to put on my memory stick! Perfect timing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

CW, for wraps I prefer flour tortillas, burrito size. I keep some smaller corn tortillas on hand for the grilled shrimp enchiladas I make now and again though. Tacos it's Old El Paso super stuffer hard shells for me.
The only thing I can ever find flavored around here is pita bread. I would love to try some spinach tortillas just to see, but none of the stores I go to have them.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

They would be easy to make (spinach). My mom can't eat spinach because of meds she's on, but I've been meaning to make swiss chard wraps...might still do some when I'm there...I'm surprised no-one has the "seasoned" wraps there--even in the little village grocery store near the farm they carry some.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use halibut, sole...whatever is priced lower. Bake with a little salt, lemon and EVOO. I like soft tacos, so flour tortillas, warmed. Fish, sour cream mixed with cilantro and lime, and a chipotle coleslaw. Then I eat way too many.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I do Tex-Mex and Asian. I prefer the Asian. Just mix some mayo and sour cream with some hoisin sauce which I spread on soft corn tacos. Cut the fish into small bite size pieces, add just a bit of 5 spice to some flour. Coat the pieces in the flour, then egg and then panko. Deep fry or skillet fry and serve with some cilantro, lettuce and kimchi
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Fish, sour cream mixed with cilantro and lime, and a chipotle coleslaw.
You wouldn't have the recipe for that chipotle slaw wouldja?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You wouldn't have the recipe for that chipotle slaw wouldja?
I'm lazy, I get the bag of slaw from the store...then mayo with Chipotle Tabasco added and some lime for tart!

Making from scratch...1/2 cup mayo, 2 tsp chopped chipotle in adobo, salt to taste and 1 tsp lime juice. Allow to mellow in fridge for a couple of hours and test for heat. Add more chipotle if you want.

Tags
fish