How do you cook scallops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody's mentioned the classic, Coquilles St. Jacques!

Oddly enough, I don't even have a recipe for it. Here's one I just found on Recipe Goldmine.

Coquilles St. Jacques
Yields: 4 servings

1 # mushrooms, sliced
1 lemon, juiced
5 T butter, in all
1 # fresh scallops, cut
1 c dry white wine
¼ t ground thyme
1 bay leaf
½ t salt
1/8 t pepper
3 T all-purpose flour
1 c light cream
¾ c soft bread crumbs, buttered

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Sprinkle mushrooms with lemon juice. Sauté in 2 T of the butter. Place next 6 ingredients in saucepan. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve 1 c of broth.
Make white sauce with remaining butter, flour, broth, and cream. Add scallops and mushrooms. Spoon into individual buttered shell dishes or casseroles. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 10 minutes until browned.

Also, back in my Single days, when I was actively pursueing my interest in Chinese, I would keep a bag of IQF bay scallops in my freezer, pull out a few, and add them to Fried Rice in the last couple of minutes of cooking.

choclatechef said:
That is strange.

Folks generally saute first, then finish in the oven -- not the other way around.

You are quite right, but she had never cooked scallops before and was following a recipe. But when they were not turning out as she liked, she decided to saute them to get the bacon crisp. She and I discussed the problem after dinner and decided that next time we would saute first and then put them in the oven.

I am

I am also of the purist school of cooking scallops. Hot pan seared for a minute maybe 2 depending on size, remove and deglaze with a touch of fresh lemon juice, a nice wee drop of Chardonnay or Reisling and serve on some fresh pasta, and maybe a piece of finely shredded lemongrass and or ginger for some zing. serve that with some good crusty warm bread and a neatly chilled Pinot Gris and The Guiedo is a happy boy.

buckytom said:
anyone ever get skate (a fish, punched out in rounds to look like scallop) instead of the real thing? i've heard of unscrupulous mongers and restaurants trying this, but i've never had it (i hope).

I've heard of this, and tasted some that was supposedly made from shark meat the same way. Just tasted bland and not fresh to me.

Great recipe greatfood - thanks.

bucky - Have had scallop sashimi also but the poor little guys were still alive when they were sliced into very thin rounds - it was almost (but perfect at the same time) too sweet and the scallop flavor was very pronounced and much more scallop tasting than cooked scallops - they were the best - even though the sushi chef wanted to make sure I knew they were "still bleathing" :ohmy:

kitchenelf you are making my mouth water!!! There is a restaurant in NY called Heat. From the time the fish is swimming to the time it is on your plate is a matter of seconds (if that much). It skeeves a lot of people out, but talk about fresh!!! I would be very interested in eating there. I think it might disturb me a bit, but I have no disillusions as to where my food comes from so I think I could deal with it (I think).

The taste is so fresh and sweet GB. I wasn't sure I could eat the scallop slices either. The taste is just so amazing you keep eating. Now giant clam is something I cannot touch - those pieces are sliced off the whole living clam - it's got a texture I just can't handle, something akin to the cartilage at the top of your ear :shock:

I have never had scallops, I do not like much seafood at all!! Therefore do not cook it!! Hahaha So anyone in my house have to go out for seafood. LOL. And, that restraunt in NY Called HEAT. Thats mine i own it, come on bye i'll show you around!! (JUST KIDDING):LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Andy M. said:
I prefer dry sea scallops and I pan sear them in a little oil/butter. Deglaze the pan with a little lemon and white wine. A simple and delicious meal.

Very similar to what I've done. Dont have them often here in Colorado, but sea scallops are perfect this way.

I just had awesome scallops at a shack in Wellfleet, MA last week. Awesomely fresh. The plate was so big, I couldn't finish. They were just deep fried but they were so buttery and soft and delicious. I'm getting hungry thinking about them!

The few times I've tried pan searing scallops, they've come out kind of greasy. If I remember right I just used butter as the fat. Am I cooking them them too long? How can you tell when they're done? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The key to a good pan sear is adding fat to a hot pan and then adding the scallops when the fat is hot, too. The burner should be about med. high.

The scallops change color when they are done. The go from a pearly white to a milky white and get firmer to the touch. They're soft and wiggly when raw. The firm up as the cook.

Place the scallops in the hot pan with hot butter and leave them undisturbed for a 2-3 minutes. The will initially stick to the pan then release as they brown. Turn them over and repeat. Total cooking time should be 5-6 minutes.

scallops recipes

16 clean scallops salt pepper 4 slices of bacon trimmed of the fat, and discard cut the the bacon up finely 1 bunch of fresh dill finely chopped 50 gram of garlic butter, you can make the garlic butter a day before 1 leek sliced julienne /matchsticks strips deep fried and dried on a paper cloth
Method:
Put a pan on low heat on add the garlic butter the chopped bacon and scallops With a small spoon stir careful the scallops around for about 4 minutes add salt pepper To serve 4 warm plates add the scallops in the centre off plates Drizzle little bit of the garlic butter sauce around and on top with the bacon And finish off with the deep fried leeks on top Would be nice if you served this with oven warm bread or salad
recipe nr 2
Ingredients:
Scallops 4 large scallops Cauliflower puree 100 ml (6 tbsp.) cream 150 g (10 tbsp.) butter Grated nutmeg Confit tomatoes 4 ripe tomatoes 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced 2 shallots, thinly sliced 10 sprigs of fresh thyme 50 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil Salt and sugar Vinaigrette 50 ml (3 tbsp.) hazelnut oil 50 ml (3 tbsp.) sunflower oil 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar 1 tbsp. chopped hazelnuts 4 strips sundried tomato, diced
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method:
1. Blanch the tomatoes peel, quarter and seed them. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and sugar. Place on parchment paper and spread the shallots, garlic and thyme over top. Season again with salt and sugar. Place in a 75° C (165° F) oven for 6 to 8 hours. 2. Boil the cauliflower for 7 minutes in salted water, then cook in the cream for 5 minutes. Put the cream and cauliflower into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve. Cook the butter until golden brown and add to the puree. Season to taste with salt and nutmeg. 3. Heat the hazelnuts gently in a warm pan until golden. Combine the other ingredients for the vinaigrette and add the nuts last. 4. Slice the scallops crosswise into thirds and sear in a little olive oil in a very hot saute pan for one minute. Remove and season with lime juice, olive oil and salt. 5. To serve, arrange three small rounds of cauliflower purée on each serving plate. Top each with a slice of scallop. Arrange the confit tomatoes around the scallops and spoon the hazelnut vinaigrette all around.
:chef:

Back
Top Bottom