"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Wink

I have never had scallops, I do not like much seafood at all!! Therefore do not cook it!! Hahaha So anyone in my house have to go out for seafood. LOL. And, that restraunt in NY Called HEAT. Thats mine i own it, come on bye i'll show you around!! (JUST KIDDING)

Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I prefer dry sea scallops and I pan sear them in a little oil/butter. Deglaze the pan with a little lemon and white wine. A simple and delicious meal.
Very similar to what I've done. Dont have them often here in Colorado, but sea scallops are perfect this way.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I just had awesome scallops at a shack in Wellfleet, MA last week. Awesomely fresh. The plate was so big, I couldn't finish. They were just deep fried but they were so buttery and soft and delicious. I'm getting hungry thinking about them!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

The few times I've tried pan searing scallops, they've come out kind of greasy. If I remember right I just used butter as the fat. Am I cooking them them too long? How can you tell when they're done? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

The key to a good pan sear is adding fat to a hot pan and then adding the scallops when the fat is hot, too. The burner should be about med. high.

The scallops change color when they are done. The go from a pearly white to a milky white and get firmer to the touch. They're soft and wiggly when raw. The firm up as the cook.

Place the scallops in the hot pan with hot butter and leave them undisturbed for a 2-3 minutes. The will initially stick to the pan then release as they brown. Turn them over and repeat. Total cooking time should be 5-6 minutes.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I like them in a sauce over pasta. I also enjoy them grilled on skewers on the Weber Grill
Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

scallops recipes

16 clean scallops salt pepper 4 slices of bacon trimmed of the fat, and discard cut the the bacon up finely 1 bunch of fresh dill finely chopped 50 gram of garlic butter, you can make the garlic butter a day before 1 leek sliced julienne /matchsticks strips deep fried and dried on a paper cloth
Method:
Put a pan on low heat on add the garlic butter the chopped bacon and scallops With a small spoon stir careful the scallops around for about 4 minutes add salt pepper To serve 4 warm plates add the scallops in the centre off plates Drizzle little bit of the garlic butter sauce around and on top with the bacon And finish off with the deep fried leeks on top Would be nice if you served this with oven warm bread or salad
recipe nr 2
Ingredients:
Scallops 4 large scallops Cauliflower puree 100 ml (6 tbsp.) cream 150 g (10 tbsp.) butter Grated nutmeg Confit tomatoes 4 ripe tomatoes 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced 2 shallots, thinly sliced 10 sprigs of fresh thyme 50 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil Salt and sugar Vinaigrette 50 ml (3 tbsp.) hazelnut oil 50 ml (3 tbsp.) sunflower oil 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar 1 tbsp. chopped hazelnuts 4 strips sundried tomato, diced
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method:
1. Blanch the tomatoes peel, quarter and seed them. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and sugar. Place on parchment paper and spread the shallots, garlic and thyme over top. Season again with salt and sugar. Place in a 75° C (165° F) oven for 6 to 8 hours. 2. Boil the cauliflower for 7 minutes in salted water, then cook in the cream for 5 minutes. Put the cream and cauliflower into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve. Cook the butter until golden brown and add to the puree. Season to taste with salt and nutmeg. 3. Heat the hazelnuts gently in a warm pan until golden. Combine the other ingredients for the vinaigrette and add the nuts last. 4. Slice the scallops crosswise into thirds and sear in a little olive oil in a very hot saute pan for one minute. Remove and season with lime juice, olive oil and salt. 5. To serve, arrange three small rounds of cauliflower purée on each serving plate. Top each with a slice of scallop. Arrange the confit tomatoes around the scallops and spoon the hazelnut vinaigrette all around.

Tags
None