"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Maryland is for Crabs! hot steamed with Old Bay and cold beer...no fuss just au natural

Old 09-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
When I eat crab I poke a hole in it with my fork and then tear it from the inside with my fork. It's easier than the crackers IMO.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Maryland is for Crabs! hot steamed with Old Bay and cold beer...no fuss just au natural
as a marylander who lives about 10 minutes from the chesapeake bay (im near sandy point)...u nailed it spot on!!

steamed with lotsa old bay..and ice cold yuengling beer on a hot (humid) august evening in maryland!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
as a marylander who lives about 10 minutes from the chesapeake bay (im near sandy point)...u nailed it spot on!!

steamed with lotsa old bay..and ice cold yuengling beer on a hot (humid) august evening in maryland!!!
another near-neighbor chiming in. Amen, mugsy, especially if eaten with a lot of crazy fun people living in St. Mary's County.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I've got to agree with Robo. If when you've finished eating, your fingers, your beer glass and your mallet aren't covered with Old Bay, you haven't really had good crabs.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #26
Master Chef

I can't remember the last time I had Snow or Alaskan King Crab legs, but hailing from Long Island, NY, the good old Blue Claw is my hands down favorite, served as others have posted - hot & spicy with Old Bay Seasoning & served with melted lemon butter & lots of ice cold beer.

Some of the best childhood memories I have are being awakened at 4:30 in the morning, bustled into the car along with grandparents, great aunts & uncles, & heading for one of the "secret crabbing spots" - lol!!! With crabtraps, lines, & raw squid, fish, or chicken pieces, we'd fill our wooden bushel baskets & then return home for a real feast.

I also LOVE softshells, & luckily a terrific little gourmet/organic market nearby gets them both huge & LIVE, for a few weeks during the spring season. They are FABULOUS!! My favorite way to make them is to clean them, dredge them in some seasoned flour, & saute them in a half-&-half mixture of butter & extra-virgin olive oil for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Some time during the last few minutes of cooking I add some fresh lemon juice &/or a splash of white wine to the pan, along with one or two cloves of chopped garlic. Ambrosia.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #27
DC's Angel

Hey, you guys, stop making a fella miserable. I moved to western Kentucky from Maryland ten years ago. They gots lotsa good stuff here but the don't gots blue crabs. If you have any compassion at all, overnight me a bushel and I'll crawl through broken glass for you. I remember steaming up a bushel on Sunday night and pigging out. Monday was leftovers night. I saved all the claws from Sunday and had them cold with cocktail sauce while watching Monday Night Football. Having the crab claws was the only way I could stand listening to Howard Cosell. On second thought, the beer helped too.
Best wishes,
Buck
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I've never had crab straight from the shells, just from containers in our local fish department. I really like crab cakes with a tomatoes and corn salsa, though I'm certain I would love it fresh with butter.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleri
If when you've finished eating, your fingers, your beer glass and your mallet aren't covered with Old Bay and some Finger Blood, you haven't really had good crabs.
there...fixed that for ya!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
There is nothing finer then covering the outdoor table in news papper, getting a bushell of crabs and ALOT of ice cold beer, and going crazy for a while.

As far as snowcrab goes, butter and lemon. I keep it simple.
You've got that right, TATTRAT! I've eaten crab all kinds of ways, and always loved it, but the best was when my first husband and I were guests of a local doctor, there in Baton Rouge. My ex was a high school football coach, and the doctor was a big supporter of the team.
We dined at the traditional newspaper-covered table, but it was set up in the great room, where we had air-conditioning. The crabs they served were local...I think probably dungeness crabs...and fortunately, I had lived in the area long enough that I knew how to eat them. You have to stick your fingers in the right spot in the middle, and break the crab apart. After enjoying all the succulant meat there, you use the nutcrackers provided, and break into the claws, gently teasing out the meat there.
We had good French bread to dip in the juices, corn on the cob, and lots of cold beer to go with.
What a night! I ate until I couldn't eat any more.

Tags
None