How do you eat your crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I eat crab I poke a hole in it with my fork and then tear it from the inside with my fork. It's easier than the crackers IMO.

Robo410 said:
Maryland is for Crabs! hot steamed with Old Bay and cold beer...no fuss just au natural
as a marylander who lives about 10 minutes from the chesapeake bay (im near sandy point)...u nailed it spot on!!

steamed with lotsa old bay..and ice cold yuengling beer on a hot (humid) august evening in maryland!!! :) :chef: :cool:

mugsy27 said:
as a marylander who lives about 10 minutes from the chesapeake bay (im near sandy point)...u nailed it spot on!!

steamed with lotsa old bay..and ice cold yuengling beer on a hot (humid) august evening in maryland!!! :) :chef: :cool:

another near-neighbor chiming in. Amen, mugsy, especially if eaten with a lot of crazy fun people living in St. Mary's County.

Robo410 said:
Maryland is for Crabs! hot steamed with Old Bay and cold beer...no fuss just au natural

I've got to agree with Robo. If when you've finished eating, your fingers, your beer glass and your mallet aren't covered with Old Bay, you haven't really had good crabs.

I can't remember the last time I had Snow or Alaskan King Crab legs, but hailing from Long Island, NY, the good old Blue Claw is my hands down favorite, served as others have posted - hot & spicy with Old Bay Seasoning & served with melted lemon butter & lots of ice cold beer.

Some of the best childhood memories I have are being awakened at 4:30 in the morning, bustled into the car along with grandparents, great aunts & uncles, & heading for one of the "secret crabbing spots" - lol!!! With crabtraps, lines, & raw squid, fish, or chicken pieces, we'd fill our wooden bushel baskets & then return home for a real feast.

I also LOVE softshells, & luckily a terrific little gourmet/organic market nearby gets them both huge & LIVE, for a few weeks during the spring season. They are FABULOUS!! My favorite way to make them is to clean them, dredge them in some seasoned flour, & saute them in a half-&-half mixture of butter & extra-virgin olive oil for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Some time during the last few minutes of cooking I add some fresh lemon juice &/or a splash of white wine to the pan, along with one or two cloves of chopped garlic. Ambrosia.

Hey, you guys, stop making a fella miserable. I moved to western Kentucky from Maryland ten years ago. They gots lotsa good stuff here but the don't gots blue crabs. If you have any compassion at all, overnight me a bushel and I'll crawl through broken glass for you. I remember steaming up a bushel on Sunday night and pigging out. Monday was leftovers night. I saved all the claws from Sunday and had them cold with cocktail sauce while watching Monday Night Football. Having the crab claws was the only way I could stand listening to Howard Cosell. On second thought, the beer helped too.
Best wishes,
Buck

I've never had crab straight from the shells, just from containers in our local fish department. I really like crab cakes with a tomatoes and corn salsa, though I'm certain I would love it fresh with butter.

Teleri said:
If when you've finished eating, your fingers, your beer glass and your mallet aren't covered with Old Bay and some Finger Blood, you haven't really had good crabs.

there...fixed that for ya! :ROFLMAO:

TATTRAT said:
There is nothing finer then covering the outdoor table in news papper, getting a bushell of crabs and ALOT of ice cold beer, and going crazy for a while.

As far as snowcrab goes, butter and lemon. I keep it simple.

You've got that right, TATTRAT! I've eaten crab all kinds of ways, and always loved it, but the best was when my first husband and I were guests of a local doctor, there in Baton Rouge. My ex was a high school football coach, and the doctor was a big supporter of the team.
We dined at the traditional newspaper-covered table, but it was set up in the great room, where we had air-conditioning. The crabs they served were local...I think probably dungeness crabs...and fortunately, I had lived in the area long enough that I knew how to eat them. You have to stick your fingers in the right spot in the middle, and break the crab apart. After enjoying all the succulant meat there, you use the nutcrackers provided, and break into the claws, gently teasing out the meat there.
We had good French bread to dip in the juices, corn on the cob, and lots of cold beer to go with.
What a night! I ate until I couldn't eat any more.

My parents used to catch crabs all the time, (i literally grew up eat crabs) so much so the freezers were full! (yes there is an S on freezers) there were so many. The best 2 ways i like crab 1) simply boil with salt...the flavour is like YUMMMM or 2) my mum used to make a sauce out of the whole crabs and have spaghetti with it, saucy crabs and crab pasta OHHH man YUMMMMM. I like the, i guess u could call it the eggs in the shell - they are hard and orange? (not the spongy ones that are on the flap thingy) that was nice to eat too :)
its been MANY years since my parents caught crabs though...last time i had it was last year and i bought it from an overpriced fish market (my mum has never bought crabs in her life LOL thats how many my parents used to catch hehehe)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom