"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
We buy from the fish shop and it is already done for us

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
We buy from the fish shop and it is already done for us
Well that's no fun...

TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Too easy though
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm bumping this because I couldn't find another thread about filleting/cleaning fish. I haven't cleaned a fish for about 20-30 years. I have been buying fish and seafood from a local fishmonger. He's a one-person shop. So, I emailed him and asked if he would be willing to teach me how to clean squid, round and flat fish, shuck oysters in exchange for some product. He's game. He's a trained chef so I imagine he has a few tricks of the trade. He's also asked me if I'd do some additional prep work for things such as pickled mussels, shrimp, and salmon and if I'd come in on another day to make fish stock, seafood stock and make some seafood-based soups for him. Also needs help with his FB page. I figure it is a win-win for both of us--I learn something new and get some product for my time (I see a lot more seafood/fish in my diet), he gets an extra set of hands to help with prep. And, whatever tricks I learn, I get to take home with me.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
Head Chef
Have my brother do it for me
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Executive Chef
When I fillet, I never remove the head first.
Its much easier to fillet with the head attached.
A simple process as I worked on a fishing boat once and cleaned the fish when we returned to the dock each afternoon.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Master Chef
There are dozens of youtube video's to teach you all those things and I'm sure that like most things, it take practice to do them well. It does sound like you have a win-win situation though.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Commercial fished salmon etc. for twenty+ years. I never really liked to eat it. When I did it was only Springs. My most preferred fish are rock cod or kelp greenling.
Anyway. With all fish I cut the two whole fillets leaving the skin on whether I'm going to eat it or not. Lots of good for you fat between the flesh and the skin on some fish. Remove pin bones with tweezers.
I cut the fillets into equal sized pieces about 3-4" then into warm, not hot, refined coconut oil to just barely cover the fish. Glass lid on. Watch for the flesh to just turn opaque in the center. Onto paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve w/fresh lemon juice/Kosher salt/fresh ground pepper.
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by TooTall View Post

How do you cook your whole fish??

I'm a big fan of steaming inside an aluminium parcel. I score the skin, rub the fish down with EVOO, season her up, slices of lemon and a few bay inside the belly cavity. Maybe lay the fish out on fennel if its available. Best thing about it is the fish cooking in its own juices, no loss of flavor.

My family's method for cooking a salmon to eat cold is as follows :-

Gut salmon and remove gills but do not remove head.

Place slices of lemon, a drizzle of white wine, some fennel seeds or any flavouring you like in the body cavity (optional). Wrap in buttered paper or cooking foil.

Place fish in fish kettle, just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Allow to blub a few times (no more than a minute). Remove from the heat and leave undisturbed with lid firmly in place until perfectly cold. Do not remove lid. For a whole salmon this will probably take over night.

When cold rescue from pan. You won't have any stock but you'll have a beautifully cooked fish - not dry, not soggy, just right.

Great for anything from single portion to a whole salmon for a buffet for 20 or more. The method works with anything from a slice of salmon to a whole fish. You just use a pan that the amount of fish you are dealing with will fit neatly. Works every time.

I got this from my mother, who got it from her mother, who got it.... You get my drift. Not invented by us , though - I believe the basic method goes back to at least the 1700s

Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote