"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do you fillet your salmon??

Hey,

Everyone I work with seems to fillet their salmon different. How do you do yours??

Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I don't eat salmon, but I have filleted many fish. Mostly grouper, hogfish and various snapper. I start by cutting down to the backbone from top to bottom, behind the head and pectoral fin (same on both sides). I then run the knife against the bones above the spine on the dorsal side from head to tail. I do the same thing on the under side starting at the vent to the tail. Then the knife is run on top of the spine (backbone) to the tail. This usually splits the tail fin, giving me a handle to run the knife toward the head along the spine, cutting off the rib bones in the process. Repeat on the other side. The split tail fin gives me a handle for skinning. I never leave the skin on, don't like the texture or taste.

I don't screw with pliers to pull ribs and pin bones. I just cut off that whole section and not worry about any bones I might have missed. I use the rib sections and carcus for stock.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I let the fishmonger filet it I like pieces from the flat center part, rather than the horse-shoe shaped steaks.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I check the half salmon for bones and pull them out with pliers. If I buy a whole salmon, I do not fillet it, I cook it whole.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I don't eat salmon, but I have filleted many fish. Mostly grouper, hogfish and various snapper. I start by cutting down to the backbone from top to bottom, behind the head and pectoral fin (same on both sides). I then run the knife against the bones above the spine on the dorsal side from head to tail. I do the same thing on the under side starting at the vent to the tail. Then the knife is run on top of the spine (backbone) to the tail. This usually splits the tail fin, giving me a handle to run the knife toward the head along the spine, cutting off the rib bones in the process. Repeat on the other side. The split tail fin gives me a handle for skinning. I never leave the skin on, don't like the texture or taste.

I don't screw with pliers to pull ribs and pin bones. I just cut off that whole section and not worry about any bones I might have missed. I use the rib sections and carcus for stock.
Hey

I go the same way on snapper, top down. The bones are the guide, makes them really easy to do clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3971785336.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	17656
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I check the half salmon for bones and pull them out with pliers. If I buy a whole salmon, I do not fillet it, I cook it whole.
Hey,

How do you cook your whole fish??

I'm a big fan of steaming inside an aluminium parcel. I score the skin, rub the fish down with EVOO, season her up, slices of lemon and a few bay inside the belly cavity. Maybe lay the fish out on fennel if its available. Best thing about it is the fish cooking in its own juices, no loss of flavor.

:)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I load the inside with lemon slices and onions, the outside is lemons, butter and brown sugar, wrapped tightly in foil and baked. Makes a sweet and sour sauce for the salmon.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Cook

The salmon is a 2 filets fish. Normally these fish are done the same way.
To filet the salmon you can use a long thin flexible knife.

- First got to take the head off.
- Make two cuts just behind the gills. The head should now detach from the body.
- Start by the upper back of the salmon and make a cut that goes from head to tail, following the spine
- Placing the fish flat, Near the head (former;) pass the knife trough the body, on top of the spine, and make it slide to the tail with the blade slightly tilt to the chopping board.
- This should reveal the first filet.
- Turn the fish over and apply the same technique on the other side.

Don't know if it helped ;)
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Head Chef

Depending on the size and type of salmon, smaller salmon can be filleted by just using a fillet knife. Large fish such as a King Salmon have tough skin so I use a utility knife to cut through the skin from behind the gills, the around the back and belly. Once this is done, I use a fillet knife to cut away the fillet.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Half Baked

I fillet all my fish by cutting and twisting the knife toward the tail just behind the gills. The tip runs along the spine while a gentle sawing motion cuts the flesh and pin bones free. I stop before the tail and flip the fillet over.Then I place the knife at the tail end with the flesh up and pull the skin while gently sawing the knife.The knife never really travels,I pull the fish with my left hand away from the knife. I also use a fishing fillet knife that is very thin and very sharp. I wind up with 2 fillets and a 1 piece carcass that has the skin still attached. I will jump in and help the crew fillet fish on our way back from fishing just to practice more.I also keep a pair of pliars for pin bone removal.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None