How do you make YOUR tuna salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like mine pretty basic, although not as basic as my husband (just tuna & mayo - period).

Oil-packed (always!) tuna, drained (the cats get the oil poured over a dish of their kibble to enjoy :) )
Finely chopped celery to taste
Finely chopped sweet onion to taste
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
mayo to taste (has to be Hellmann's)
Served by itself in a bowl or on plain white bread or white bread toast, sometimes with lettuce.

Sometimes in the summer when the basil is growing out in the garden, I'll add a little chopped fresh basil as well, but that's about it. And of course I'll also sometimes turn this into an open-faced "Tuna Melt" by putting it on toast slices, covering it with some grated cheddar cheese, & running it under the broiler for a minute or two.

We always add curry powder. Our favorite is Jamaican Green Mountain, which we buy on the web. Where we got the first bottle I cannot remember. But it is good.

The curry powder really adds a lot to the dish, at least in our opinion.

I guess I win the boring prize. I just like mine with tuna and miracle whip.

I like IC's version! Mine is more plebeian: salad greens, leftover grilled tuna, sesame-soy dressing.

:)Mine is really simple Solid Albacore Tuna,onions.dill relish.mayo.salt and pepper thats it if I make a so called fancy Tuna Salad I include celery and some boiled egg.I dont care for apples and sweet relish in my tuna salad and I wont order it at a restuarant because it's most likely not my style or or has been sitting around too long.I think tuna salad is a very personal choice

Drained tuna
Mayo
Salad dressing (i like the taste)
Onions -sometimes, when i feel like the taste
Sweetcorn
Cucumber
Served on a bed of crisp lettuce

Depending what I have on hand

Tuna... cant forget thAT;)
onion
celery
real mayo
mustard
dill pickle relish
hard boiled egg whites
vinegar- or lemon juice or lime juice. This is something I was told a lot of resteraunts add to help cut down on the fishy taste. I am suprised I only saw 1 person that added lime juice. I thought it was pretty common practice. If you never had it you really should try it. Maybe I am just not a big fan of the fishy taste, but it make all the difference.

Ok, it SMELLS like cat food. :-p

I mean, I'll eat it if I'm served it or that's all that there is to eat, but I won't go out my way to make it. I only eat tuna if it's raw or rare.
That is why I only buy the solid white abacore the regular tuna tastes tinny and fishy

Now I'm at my home computer, so here's my tuna salad recipe:

KATIE’S TUNA-PASTA
SALAD
(Serves 4)​
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1½ cups dry small pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed
2 (6-oz.) cans tuna in water, well drained and flaked
1 (15-oz.) can sweet peas, drained
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
¾ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, your choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, for garnish
Romaine lettuce leaves, washed, dried and crisped

Combine the tuna, shallots, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the pasta and blend to evenly distribute. Carefully add the peas to make sure they aren’t mashed to paste. Refrigerate and chill several hours or overnight.

To serve, place several lettuce leaves on each plate, spoon ¼ of the pasta/tuna mixture over them. Garnish with slices of hard-boiled egg and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with crusty bread. Note: If you are pressed for time, boil the eggs and prepare the pasta ahead of time. Put the pasta in a plastic zipper bag and put it in the refrigerator along with the cans of tuna and peas and the eggs. Do this the night before you plan to serve the salad and the only thing you will have to do is to drain the cans, chop the shallots and mix everything together. You won’t have to wait for everything to chill. The only thing lost by this method is the blending of flavors, which will be somewhat less than if everything was mixed and chilled together.

Very similar to what I grew up on.... this is summer comfort food for me.:)

I don't have any sort of recipe with actual quantities. I just learned how to make it watching Mom, and nothing was ever measured. I just add this and that and it comes out right.

For mine I drop the eggs... it's tuna salad, not egg salad :rolleyes:, and I usually use chopped red onion instead of shallots. I use small shell macaroni... although we grew up on it in Minnesota made with Creamettes rings, I can never find them in Colorado. I also add some chopped celery for crunch, a couple of tablespoons of sweet pickle relish for color, a dash or 2 of ketchup and about a teaspoon of prepared horseradish. It's always made with Miracle Whip in our family, and it is a main dish, usually served with fresh baked bread.

Last edited:
I don't know that this qualifies as a tuna 'salad', as I prefer little or no mayo, solid white tuna (in water), slightly flaked, diced red or yellow onion, lemon juice or lemon pepper seasoning - on an Italian (or onion) roll - w lettuce & sliced tomatoes. Sometimes I change it out and add chopped marinated artichoke hearts or sliced black olives.

My fave Italian deli uses one whole can of solid white tuna, sprinkles w oil/vinegar, on a fresh Italian sub roll, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and tops with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.

My summertime tuna pasta salad - tri color rotini (penne/ziti/shells -- smaller is better, i.e. shells or macaroni), mayo, sliced black olives, peas, diced onions, (sometimes chopped marinated artichoke hearts), and almost any chopped green veggie - i.e. bell peppers etc. or roasted red peppers, black pepper, and grated Parm. You can sub out the tuna for crab, shrimp, salmon or chicken.

Last edited:
Tuna
Dill Pickles diced
celery chopped
Boiled Egg chopped
Green olives chopped
Sammye's Sumptous Mustard ( a smoky mustard)
Seven Seas "Green Goddess" dressing
Mix together and put on white bread, YUMMY!!!!

My tuna salad consists of chunk light tuna (sorry Charlie, but solid white tuna has no flavor) packed in water (all my kitties LOVE tuna water!), and enough Kraft Miracle Whip to make it spreadable. No salt or pepper required. The Miracle Whip has quite enough seasoning on it's own, and the tuna is already salty. Then, I will rummage through the fridge and see if I have anything crunchy to add, such as chopped celery, diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, diced carrot, minced jalopy peppers, etc., but I can be perfectly happy just putting the tuna and Miracle whip between two slices of bread or toast and eating it that way.

Tuna salad for me is only for sandwiches. I use Hellman's mayo, scallions, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add manzanilla or kalamata olives. It then goes onto toasted bread and is served with a side of sweet pickles.

Im with Andy here, I eat tuna salad on sandwiches only. Mayo, chopped scallions, very fine chopped celery, chopped red bell pepper, lots of Italian parsley, lemon juice and a little zest, a few capers, lots of black pepper and some seasalt. I always use oil packed tuna, find the water packed far too dry even with mayo slathered through it! Could just be our brands tho.
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom