"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #31
Executive Chef
Mine is really simple Solid Albacore Tuna,onions.dill relish.mayo.salt and pepper thats it if I make a so called fancy Tuna Salad I include celery and some boiled egg.I dont care for apples and sweet relish in my tuna salad and I wont order it at a restuarant because it's most likely not my style or or has been sitting around too long.I think tuna salad is a very personal choice

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #32
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
And...how much cat food have you eaten, IC? Hmmmmmm?
Ok, it SMELLS like cat food.

I mean, I'll eat it if I'm served it or that's all that there is to eat, but I won't go out my way to make it. I only eat tuna if it's raw or rare.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 AM   #33
Senior Cook
Drained tuna
Salad dressing (i like the taste)
Onions -sometimes, when i feel like the taste
Served on a bed of crisp lettuce
SHAMALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #34
Assistant Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to hookied_up
Depending what I have on hand

Tuna... cant forget thAT
real mayo
dill pickle relish
hard boiled egg whites
vinegar- or lemon juice or lime juice. This is something I was told a lot of resteraunts add to help cut down on the fishy taste. I am suprised I only saw 1 person that added lime juice. I thought it was pretty common practice. If you never had it you really should try it. Maybe I am just not a big fan of the fishy taste, but it make all the difference.
I dont want no trouble.
hookied_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #35
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Ok, it SMELLS like cat food.

I mean, I'll eat it if I'm served it or that's all that there is to eat, but I won't go out my way to make it. I only eat tuna if it's raw or rare.
That is why I only buy the solid white abacore the regular tuna tastes tinny and fishy
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #36
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Now I'm at my home computer, so here's my tuna salad recipe:

(Serves 4)
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1½ cups dry small pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed
2 (6-oz.) cans tuna in water, well drained and flaked
1 (15-oz.) can sweet peas, drained
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
¾ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, your choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, for garnish
Romaine lettuce leaves, washed, dried and crisped

Combine the tuna, shallots, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the pasta and blend to evenly distribute. Carefully add the peas to make sure they aren’t mashed to paste. Refrigerate and chill several hours or overnight.

To serve, place several lettuce leaves on each plate, spoon ¼ of the pasta/tuna mixture over them. Garnish with slices of hard-boiled egg and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with crusty bread. Note: If you are pressed for time, boil the eggs and prepare the pasta ahead of time. Put the pasta in a plastic zipper bag and put it in the refrigerator along with the cans of tuna and peas and the eggs. Do this the night before you plan to serve the salad and the only thing you will have to do is to drain the cans, chop the shallots and mix everything together. You won’t have to wait for everything to chill. The only thing lost by this method is the blending of flavors, which will be somewhat less than if everything was mixed and chilled together.
Very similar to what I grew up on.... this is summer comfort food for me.

I don't have any sort of recipe with actual quantities. I just learned how to make it watching Mom, and nothing was ever measured. I just add this and that and it comes out right.

For mine I drop the eggs... it's tuna salad, not egg salad , and I usually use chopped red onion instead of shallots. I use small shell macaroni... although we grew up on it in Minnesota made with Creamettes rings, I can never find them in Colorado. I also add some chopped celery for crunch, a couple of tablespoons of sweet pickle relish for color, a dash or 2 of ketchup and about a teaspoon of prepared horseradish. It's always made with Miracle Whip in our family, and it is a main dish, usually served with fresh baked bread.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #37
Head Chef
I don't know that this qualifies as a tuna 'salad', as I prefer little or no mayo, solid white tuna (in water), slightly flaked, diced red or yellow onion, lemon juice or lemon pepper seasoning - on an Italian (or onion) roll - w lettuce & sliced tomatoes. Sometimes I change it out and add chopped marinated artichoke hearts or sliced black olives.

My fave Italian deli uses one whole can of solid white tuna, sprinkles w oil/vinegar, on a fresh Italian sub roll, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and tops with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.

My summertime tuna pasta salad - tri color rotini (penne/ziti/shells -- smaller is better, i.e. shells or macaroni), mayo, sliced black olives, peas, diced onions, (sometimes chopped marinated artichoke hearts), and almost any chopped green veggie - i.e. bell peppers etc. or roasted red peppers, black pepper, and grated Parm. You can sub out the tuna for crab, shrimp, salmon or chicken.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #38
Head Chef
Dill Pickles diced
celery chopped
Boiled Egg chopped
Green olives chopped
Sammye's Sumptous Mustard ( a smoky mustard)
Seven Seas "Green Goddess" dressing
Mix together and put on white bread, YUMMY!!!!
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #39
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
My tuna salad consists of chunk light tuna (sorry Charlie, but solid white tuna has no flavor) packed in water (all my kitties LOVE tuna water!), and enough Kraft Miracle Whip to make it spreadable. No salt or pepper required. The Miracle Whip has quite enough seasoning on it's own, and the tuna is already salty. Then, I will rummage through the fridge and see if I have anything crunchy to add, such as chopped celery, diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, diced carrot, minced jalopy peppers, etc., but I can be perfectly happy just putting the tuna and Miracle whip between two slices of bread or toast and eating it that way.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #40
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Tuna salad for me is only for sandwiches. I use Hellman's mayo, scallions, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add manzanilla or kalamata olives. It then goes onto toasted bread and is served with a side of sweet pickles.
Im with Andy here, I eat tuna salad on sandwiches only. Mayo, chopped scallions, very fine chopped celery, chopped red bell pepper, lots of Italian parsley, lemon juice and a little zest, a few capers, lots of black pepper and some seasalt. I always use oil packed tuna, find the water packed far too dry even with mayo slathered through it! Could just be our brands tho.

In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote