"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #61
Assistant Cook
low fat mayo
s +p
Wasabi powder

"I didn't start cooking until I was 32. Before that I just ate." Julia Child
Spicy Meataball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #62
Senior Cook
I use only fresh tuna for my tuna fish salad. I bake fresh tuna with lime & celery salt, let it cool & flake it. Then I add chopped celery, chopped red onion, toasted almonds, chopped Granny Smith apples & Hellman's real mayo. Once I started making tuna with fresh tuna, I can't eat the canned kind. But I do buy the canned for my pets, they love it.

Clienta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #63
Senior Cook
Tuna, mayo,Fast Food & Drinks: Garlic Chili Oil for some spice, chopped green onion and cilantro.
Calya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #64
Head Chef
Tuna, onions(preferably green onion), miracle whip, celery, relish, a little Emerils original spice mix, sea salt.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #65
Sous Chef
this thread is great because it shows how versitile tuna salad can be.

I have 2 different simple ways that I usually make it...

The classic mayo based with chopped celery and I usually add dill which is something from my dad

the other way is with olive oil and a touch of vinegar garlic basil oregano and some chopped pepper.

I also make tuna-pasta salad failry often in the sumer to take to work for lunch. For this I dont have any set way just play around with whatever is on hand
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #66
Senior Cook
I'm with that guy.

I like to just do tuna, olive oil, little vinegar, chopped fresh whatever herbs I have, S&P, maybe a few capers, squeeze of lemon.

Throw that in some flatbread with some salty-sweet (shoyu/sugar) julienned veggies (carrot, celery, cucumber) and enjoy. Mmm Mmm Mmm.
BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 AM   #67
Head Chef
And don't eat canned tuna more than 3 times a week... constantly.
Mercury. (so I've heard).

I avoid BumbleBee brand canned tunafish. Something about that company.
My gut worked overtime digesting that brand. Maybe a one time fluke.

Chopped celery of course. I go lightly on adding chopped green onions, that taste shows up quickly.
Same with a few dices of green bell pepper.

Yes, a very little olive oil if you use water based tuna. Too much and you taste the olive oil.

I like slicing in a hardboiled egg, makes it a meal, otherwise it's too light for a meal.

Alfalfa sprouts and thinly sliced tomato, lettuce added to the sandwhich.
I put the finished sandwhich in a toaster oven and lightly toast.

Bread and butter chips on the side, potato chips.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #68
Senior Cook
Well, it depends if I want a cold tuna sandwich or a hot one. For cold, I go through my veggie bin and see what I have. I like a lot of crunch in my sandwich. Dill pickles run through the fp to make relish, grated carrots, green onions chopped fine, celery, radishes chopped, chopped water chestnuts, Miracle Whip, s&p, a bed of lettuce on my whole grain bread and a deli slice of Swiss cheese on top, always open-faced.

Now for hot tuna bunsteads, tuna, hb eggs, dill pickle relish, finely chopped green onions, celery, grated sharp cheddar cheese, Miracle Whip, s&p. Put this in a good bun, wrap it in foil and put it in a 350 oven for 30 minutes until it's hot and the cheese is melted.

As for tuna, I prefer water packed but not Albacore. It's too dry and dense for a good, juicy tuna sandwich in my humble opinion.

Nancy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote