How do you make YOUR tuna salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsAnya

Cook
I made tuna salad for dinner and got to wondering how others make theirs. Something so simple can have a lot of varieties in how it's made. Example being I have a friend that always puts chopped apple in hers.

Mine is tuna (always water packed), boiled eggs, dill relish (must be dill or DH gets grouchy), onions, and mayonnaise (not salad dressing).

What about y'all? :chef:

mine is tuna, well drained & whatever is cheapest :) a couple hard boiled eggs chopped, a couple mini gherkins chopped and some Miracle Whip. Plus, it has to be served on very soft Butternut bread. Tuna salad is one of the first things I learned to make for dinner as a child. Back then, a small can fed all 4 or 5 of us, now it only feeds 3!
:pig:

Mine is tuna (I read that oil packed is healthier--I get either, but if I get oil packed I try to get olive oil packed), Miracle Whip, onion, dill pickle, celery seed. I like it on either Nature's Own honey wheatberry bread or really soft cheap white bread.

When I order a tuna salad sandwich at Subway I have it on honey oat bread, with lettuce, spinach, onion, black olive, dill pickles, black pepper, and a little oil and vinegar.

:)Barbara

MsAnya, I've been making a main dish tuna salad for nearly 40 years and our daughter finally asked me for the recipe a couple of years ago. Recipe? There's a recipe? I was put on the spot and had to pay attention to how I made my tuna salad. I'll post the recipe tomorrow because I'm not (geographically) where the recipe is, but I will tell you that the recipe includes shallots, elbow macaroni, hard-boiled eggs and many other ingredients. Everyone in the family loves it.

Oil packed tuna, Hellman's Mayo, sweet pickle relish, diced onion (red/yellow/or white), diced apple, chopped pecans, diced hard-boiled eggs, ground black pepper, shaved iceburg lettuce.

I'm extremely basic:

tuna
mayo
bit of onion
celery
salt and pepper

I think that's about it. I don't make it very often as I had too many cats growing up to really enjoy it :sick:

If I want it to be "something" I will add some grapes or apples, some walnuts, and serve it in a cantelope half. That certainly makes it a bit more palatable anyway.

mayo
hard boiled eggs
celery
dill relish
on a whole wheat bread topped with lettuce and sliced tomatoes

Tuna
Diced Cucumber
Cayenne
Cilantro
Madras Curry
lime juice
Mayo(or a little plain yogurt)

just something different from the plain ol' tuna salad.

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses! It fascinates me that there are so many variations for something classic like tuna salad!

I think that's about it. I don't make it very often as I had too many cats growing up to really enjoy it :sick:

*LOL* Funny you should say that, my kitty tried to steal half of my tuna sandwich last night. Fortunately I got it before she did.

I'll post the recipe tomorrow because I'm not (geographically) where the recipe is, but I will tell you that the recipe includes shallots, elbow macaroni, hard-boiled eggs and many other ingredients. Everyone in the family loves it.

I'd love to see your recipe when you do get a chance to post it! :)

Tuna salad for me is only for sandwiches. I use Hellman's mayo, scallions, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add manzanilla or kalamata olives. It then goes onto toasted bread and is served with a side of sweet pickles.

I use the water packed tuna...one can of chunk light, and one can of albacore...along with hard boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, a squeeze of mustard, and Miracle Whip. We like it on toast or crackers.

I make another type that we eat hot: Just substitute green sliced olives for the pickle relish in the recipe above, and add chunked Velveeta cheese. I spoon this into a hollowed out French loaf, cover with foil, and heat in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Basic recipe--boiled eggs, tuna, mayo, celery.

But here is free :LOL: tip for you--use your pastry cutter to chop the eggs. You can have tuna salad quicker than you can tell about it.

I use the water packed tuna...one can of chunk light, and one can of albacore...along with hard boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, a squeeze of mustard, and Miracle Whip. We like it on toast or crackers.

I make another type that we eat hot: Just substitute green sliced olives for the pickle relish in the recipe above, and add chunked Velveeta cheese. I spoon this into a hollowed out French loaf, cover with foil, and heat in the oven until the cheese is melted.

I dont even like hot tuna and yet that sounds good. *LOL*

I have but two absolute requirements for tuna salad: One, the tuna must be solid white; anything else reminds me of cat food. Two, the binder must be Best Foods mayo (Hellman's if you're east of the Rockies); Miracle Whip tastes odd to me, sort of sweet or something.

I like pickle relish, a dash of dijon, and if I don't feel like chopping, a dash both of celery salt and onion salt. I have added chopped hard-boiled egg and love that also.

Now I'm at my home computer, so here's my tuna salad recipe:

KATIE’S TUNA-PASTA
SALAD
(Serves 4)​
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1½ cups dry small pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed
2 (6-oz.) cans tuna in water, well drained and flaked
1 (15-oz.) can sweet peas, drained
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
¾ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, your choice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, for garnish
Romaine lettuce leaves, washed, dried and crisped

Combine the tuna, shallots, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the pasta and blend to evenly distribute. Carefully add the peas to make sure they aren’t mashed to paste. Refrigerate and chill several hours or overnight.

To serve, place several lettuce leaves on each plate, spoon ¼ of the pasta/tuna mixture over them. Garnish with slices of hard-boiled egg and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with crusty bread. Note: If you are pressed for time, boil the eggs and prepare the pasta ahead of time. Put the pasta in a plastic zipper bag and put it in the refrigerator along with the cans of tuna and peas and the eggs. Do this the night before you plan to serve the salad and the only thing you will have to do is to drain the cans, chop the shallots and mix everything together. You won’t have to wait for everything to chill. The only thing lost by this method is the blending of flavors, which will be somewhat less than if everything was mixed and chilled together.

Last edited:
Water packed tuna
Miracle Whip
onions
dill and sweet pickles
celery
served on toasted white bread

On cold days I'll add cheddar or Swiss cheese and do a tuna melt.

Back
Top Bottom