"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

OP: maybe you are using too much oil.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

What is the problem? Well you would have to tell me. I do not have any problem. I just saw a statement made that I disagree with based on my personal experiences and did not want to OP to get the idea that their scallops must not be dry pack because you said dry pack never splatter (my deepest apologies for using the word sizzle). If you would have said that "your" fresh dry packs never splatter then that would have been one thing, but to say that dry packs never splatter, insinuating that no one has ever experienced this when I actually have, is just not a fair statement and leads the OP to misinformation.

So yes, lets call a truce. I can wholeheartedly agree with that.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Master Chef

Truce, truce - thanks!!

Re: the splatter/sizzle thing? They're not interchangeable.

Anything & everything I put in a hot cast-iron pan that "sizzles", is supposed to. Anything & everything I put in a hot cast-iron pan that "splatters" - not always so. Totally different sounds & results.

But again - we're different folks with different cooking methods. And frankly, I'd be pretty **** pissed if my pricey dry-pack scallops splattered rather than sizzled - LOL!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Master Chef

GB - speaking of scallops - do you know why bay scallops are never offered "dry pack"? The only time I've ever seen them has been fresh off the boats at the east end of Long Island, NY (my old stomping grounds) & local fish markets in that same area. Anyplace else, while dry-pack sea scallops are available, never the bays.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I don't know why, no. I used to eat bay scallops when I was younger. I never even knew the big boys existed unti I started cooking for myself. I hated scallops when I was only aware of bay. Now that I know those are not the only kind they are one of my favorite foods.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Master Chef

The only thing I can remotely think of is that perhaps because of their size they're much more perishable than the big guys & thus it's even more desirable for vendors to treat them with the "solution" to increase their shelf life.

I rarely buy bay scallops because of the dry-pack issue, but tomorrow, for "Bastille Day", I'm going to be making Coquilles St. Jacques, & the local market has really nice-looking bay scallops on sale, so "solution" or not, I'll be picking up a pound.

Sigh. One of the very few things I miss since moving to VA from Long Island, NY, is the terrific fresh seafood.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyc View Post
I use dry-packed sea scallops. After they have thawed, I drain them and pat them dry. However, the moisture left in in them spatters big time when they hit the pan. I have avoided squeezing the moisture out of them for fear of them drying out. Is there a way to reduce spatter, or is it just part of searing them?

Paddy
Paddy: If you are freezing the dry-pack scallops, they WILL give off water after you thaw them. this is not the objectionable chemical liquid that "wet pack" scallops have, but just the result of having been frozen. If you cook them fresh, I'll bet you won't have any spatter.

I have experienced what you're talking about, because I buy my scallops directly from the fisherman who sells his wares at the Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays. Often I buy scallops for more than one meal, and freeze those I'm not using right away. I try to give them a half hour on the Bounty pad after thawing them out, so that "freezing water" can drain out, but still there sometimes is a little spatter. Not to worry, they still should sear just fine.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Head Chef

Sodium tripolyphosphate (SSTP) can cause sea food to absorb moisture.

It is normally found in ice glazed sea food. In areas where you can not get fresh ice glazed can be the next best thing since it helps prevent frezzer burn.

Is it possible that the scallops were treated with SSTP but still labled as dry pack? Yes, cheating does go on in the sea food business.

http://congressionalresearch.com/RL3...+and+Deception
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
T
I rarely buy bay scallops because of the dry-pack issue, but tomorrow, for "Bastille Day", I'm going to be making Coquilles St. Jacques, & the local market has really nice-looking bay scallops on sale, so "solution" or not, I'll be picking up a pound.
I don't eat bay scallops because they're almost always gritty- seems the silt & sand is never adequately rinsed from the. The texture isn't as good either, IMO. Give me fresh or dry-pack frozen sea scallops any day.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Just because no one else mentioned it, there is a Amazon.com: Progressive International Stainless Steel Splatter Screen: Home & Garden you can get that does minimize the stove top destruction :-)

And no, I'm not advocating buying stuff from amazon. That just tends to be the place I start shopping at since you can pretty much find anything you want there. I like doing searches there better then elsewhere.

Bob

Tags
None